Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Across Time and Place
 4Real Forums : Across Time and Place
Subject Topic: Activities for Rome Study Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Kristie 4
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Aug 03 2007 at 10:25am | IP Logged Quote Kristie 4

We are in the middle of studying ancient Rome and I thought I might like to do some fun hands on activities- usually I am a books only type, but thought my kids would like the change

A Walk in the Woods

Back to Top View Kristie 4's Profile Search for other posts by Kristie 4 Visit Kristie 4's Homepage

deleted user
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Aug 03 2007 at 12:44pm | IP Logged Quote deleted user

6 years ago my kids made togas out of scrap fabric (muslin, i think) lying around. they also made latin signs -- though i forget now exactly what they said... i've got pics somewhere... we're on Rome again, finishing up in a couple of weeks, i'll post again if i think of anything else... - this is stefoodie, didn't realize dd was logged in and don't have time to change now.
Back to Top View deleted user's Profile Search for other posts by deleted user

guitarnan
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 03 2007 at 12:56pm | IP Logged Quote guitarnan

You can create easy mosaics by cutting up endless squares of construction paper in different colors, then pasting them to a background page. (You can make tile ones, too, with stuff from a craft store, but this is less expensive.)

I have a bunch of stuff lying around...I'll see what I can find for you!

Dawn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 03 2007 at 1:49pm | IP Logged Quote Dawn

Hi Kristie,

We did a Rome study with our co-op a while back. Here is a short post I did about it: Rome wasn't Built in a Day

We're doing Ancient History this year as a family, so we'll be revisiting Rome before too long.

Back to Top View Dawn's Profile Search for other posts by Dawn

Kristie 4
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 04 2007 at 7:36am | IP Logged Quote Kristie 4

Thanks for the great ideas. Dawn, I will look at your post when I get a chance today!

I had forgotten about mosaics- we had done them with paper last time and loved it. My dc are older now so we may be able to do it with the chipped stuff I have been saving.

A Walk in the Woods

Back to Top View Kristie 4's Profile Search for other posts by Kristie 4 Visit Kristie 4's Homepage

Kelly
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 24 2007 at 6:30pm | IP Logged Quote Kelly

The History Links volume "Ancient Rome" has more activities than you could EVER begin to accomplish---lots of good ideas (no, I'm not on commission )

A few of the things we did includled: peparing a Roman feast-kids had to research Roman food and foodways and prepare an "authentic" feast. I always remember that refreshing Roman Honey Water!

Learned the three types of columns, sketched them, and went on an architectural scavenger hunt thru town, looking for examples of each style. We STILL do this. LOL

Read aloud "City of the Golden House"---very, very good. I believe the author is Joanne Williamson (I *think*) about the period when Paul was in Rome.

Drew slips of paper with names of famous Romans-writers, philosophers, etc---and did posters about them which we put up around the house.

As we did our unit study, we made up quiz cards on people and places we studied, and at the end of our the year, invited the relatives over, dressed everyone in Roman attire, ate MORE Roman food and played Roman Jeopardy. We also put out examples of our work and projects so our family and friends could see what we mysterious homeschoolers DO all day long.

Kelly in FL

Back to Top View Kelly's Profile Search for other posts by Kelly

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 24 2007 at 7:50pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

Kelly
I notice in the archives that you are very passionate about History Links I had a look at their sample pages, it seems that they give ideas but not really step by step instructions, am I reading this wrong?

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 24 2007 at 8:10pm | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

Ds (age 10 or 11 at the time) read "City" and "Rome Antics," built a model of an aqueduct, made a mosaic out of dyed eggshells (turned out very cool) did a diorama of a Roman army encampment, and built a model showing layers of a Roman road, to name a few.

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Aug 24 2007 at 10:49pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Erin wrote:
I had a look at their sample pages, it seems that they give ideas but not really step by step instructions, am I reading this wrong?

Yes, that is correct - it is a compilation of many different ideas grouped by subject, but it doesn't have step by step in general. If someone is looking for it all laid out step by step they would probably not find this what they were seeking. I tend to work this way - just need the idea and will go with it. So it suits us.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

Kelly
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 26 2007 at 11:33pm | IP Logged Quote Kelly

Thanks for helping me out on that, Mary---and yes, I second everything Mary says---HL is very good about inspiring you with ideas, but you tend to have to take it from there. However, a lot of their ideas are pretty nuts-n-bolts, don't need much in the way of explanation...along the lines of "use blocks to build the coliseum" (this was an activity we did-very fun).

Even tho I'm a cheer-leader for History Links, I've never JUST used it, I've always brought in other resources. But HL is very useful because it has so many neat ideas and projects to offer (sometimes too many, you have to be careful you don't burn out on it) and it's Catholic. And I *AM* especially bullish on its first volume, the History-general studies tome, which talks about HOW to study history. I really, really like their approach.

Kelly in FL
Back to Top View Kelly's Profile Search for other posts by Kelly

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version