Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: Cincinnati Anyone? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
4 lads mom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Aug 03 2007 at 9:55am | IP Logged Quote 4 lads mom

Hi Ladies,

My sister is getting ready to move to Cinci...I lived there for about a year, centuries ago..college...and can't really remember what sides of town are nice. They are looking for newer construction. They don't want to build, but get into a house that is less than 10-15 yrs old. They want easy access to shopping and a good Catholic church. Her husband is being transferred down there, and will more than likely spend a lot of time downtown. They know he will need to commute in if they want newer construction..that is fine. Northern KY. is fine too..

Any ideas? I always think of Cinci has having so many possiblities with good Catholic churches, that have many different personalities....I think my sister and BIL tend to be middle of the road...her husband is just entering the Church , so it would be nice if they could find an orthodox, but very welcoming community.

Thanks, Ladies!!

deleted user
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Aug 03 2007 at 12:54pm | IP Logged Quote deleted user

Would love to have them near us!!! We are in Liberty Township, between West Chester and Fairfield, and our parish is 8 minutes away (St. Maximilian Kolbe). There's a homeschooling group nearby though we haven't joined yet (maybe soon). If she's looking for the Latin Mass though, might be better to look nearer downtown. My hubby works in Finneytown (a few minutes from downtown) and he gets there in 30 minutes (45 if traffic's bad). Our house was 13 years old when we got it. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions. We also lived in Blue Ash in '98-'01 but it's gotten way too expensive there so when we came back here we looked more towards North.
Back to Top View deleted user's Profile Search for other posts by deleted user

deleted user
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Aug 03 2007 at 12:55pm | IP Logged Quote deleted user

Ugh. My dd is signed in again. This is stefoodie, and I've gotta go so I can't delete and re-sign in.
Back to Top View deleted user's Profile Search for other posts by deleted user

4 lads mom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 03 2007 at 3:38pm | IP Logged Quote 4 lads mom

Thanks, Stefoodie! They are not Latin Mass attenders, (we are, and I would LOVE to be able to attend Old St. Mary's!!). I will pass on the info....she is not homeschooling, but looking for a good parish school as well.
I appreciate the info!!!

Philothea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 04 2007 at 1:18pm | IP Logged Quote Philothea

Stefoodie, I was AT St. Maximilian Kolbe in Liberty Township about a month ago and was really kind of disturbed by some of the "changes" to the liturgy and the way the Eucharist was handled ... if this is your parish, I would love to talk to you about what I saw and whether there is a reason you all do things that way as it has been on my mind ever since ... PM me if you're willing to talk.

PS I wish I'd known that's where you are, I totally would have wanted to say Hi to a fellow 4Real member!
Back to Top View Philothea's Profile Search for other posts by Philothea

Barbara C.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 05 2007 at 11:49am | IP Logged Quote Barbara C.

Hi, I don't personally know much about Cincinnati, but a friend who has family there and hopes to move there in the next year asked me to pass this along to you.

"The Archbishop of Cincinnati favors liturgical innovation, so there aren't so many of what we might consider good parishes to be available. If she is looking for a parish with a good school, then the best would be St. Gertrude in Madeira, which has a school run by Nashville Dominicans. Old St. Mary's downtown has a great liturgy with a polyphonic chant choir, and St. Rose's, which is also downtown, has a pretty solid Mass, too. I don't think that either of these has a school. There is also a lay-run classical education school called St. Edmund Campion, which was rated a best school by the Acton Institute last year.

On the Kentucky side, things are more affordable, and they got a new Bishop a few years ago, so things are a little better on that side. I can't recommend a specific parish, as I haven't attended any churches there, but I know that the Cathedral in Covington is nationally renowned, and had a wonderful renovation a few years back. "

We both hope this helps.
Back to Top View Barbara C.'s Profile Search for other posts by Barbara C. Visit Barbara C.'s Homepage

stefoodie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 05 2007 at 12:25pm | IP Logged Quote stefoodie

Philothea, THANK YOU! I would love to talk. I've noticed a few things since we moved here but since I'm just learning about liturgical abuse (having been born and raised in the Phils. my only exposure was to progressive churches all my life), I didn't know how to approach the parish priest or even how bad it really is. The parish was recommended by a trusted friend who told me this was a better choice than others in the area (true, since we've been to 2 other parishes that are worse). PM me please -- thanks:)

mom to five
Back to Top View stefoodie's Profile Search for other posts by stefoodie Visit stefoodie's Homepage

mary
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 05 2007 at 1:43pm | IP Logged Quote mary

schools in cincinnati:
queen of angels (has CoGS)
st gertrude's
immaculte heart of mary in anderson
summit country day school (my husband and i were married in that chapel, it's gorgeous!)
i don't know how old their kids are, but this is where my dh went to high school st. x
the other best high school in cincinnati moeller
girl's catholic high school ursuline

i live on the east side and there are many wonderful schools on the west side, north of the city and in kentucky. i just listed a few to get you started.

parishes:

old st. mary's is a very orthodox parish with a latin mass. it's located in downtown cinci. not the best area.
st gertrude does draw the most hsers in the area. it's a lovely parish.
holy spirit center is also located in the middle of cincinnati. our catholic hsing group uses this facility for many of it's events.

there are many parishes in cincinnati that are wonderful. some are more or less traditional. my husband also works downtown so i could advice your relatives with regard to commute times. i've pmed you my info, feel free to have them contact me.
Back to Top View mary's Profile Search for other posts by mary

Philothea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 05 2007 at 2:02pm | IP Logged Quote Philothea

PMed you.   
Back to Top View Philothea's Profile Search for other posts by Philothea

4 lads mom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 05 2007 at 10:53pm | IP Logged Quote 4 lads mom

Thanks so much, Ladies!! I will forward all of this onto my sister....her children are preschool age and younger..but my BIL is going through RCIA, it would be nice as he just begins to develop his faith life, that it would be in an orthodox parish. I have a feeling they would like to live near a parish and not drive long distances tracking down a good parish. Thanks again!!!!!

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version