Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Mothering and Family Life
 4Real Forums : Mothering and Family Life
Subject Topic: HUGE Fisher-Price Recall Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
kingvozzo
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Aug 02 2007 at 12:42am | IP Logged Quote kingvozzo

Another lead paint scare...Here's a link with pictures of affected toys.
I'm still reeling from the Thomas recall

Back to Top View kingvozzo's Profile Search for other posts by kingvozzo

Dawn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 02 2007 at 5:18am | IP Logged Quote Dawn

Yikes! We own the Diego figures - just played with them the other day! Thank you for the link, Noreen!

Back to Top View Dawn's Profile Search for other posts by Dawn

Becky Parker
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 02 2007 at 6:29am | IP Logged Quote Becky Parker

We own the Diego figures too. Wow, I just didn't realize lead would STILL be an issue, especially with the newer toys coming out!

Back to Top View Becky Parker's Profile Search for other posts by Becky Parker

asplendidtime
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 02 2007 at 9:42am | IP Logged Quote asplendidtime

I put this into their website survey! Oh I am so sad and angry over this.

>>To Whom It May Concern,

I think that the first way you could improve your site is to give consumers the ability to critique what they don't like about your products.

First and foremost I am visiting this site because we have purchased over the last two years several of the recalled toys. These toys were of course most heavily played with Two Years ago. And we have actually thrown several of them away, mainly because they were easily broken (Dora's Vamanos Van) and the paint was peeling off of the Dora figures, and they looked horrendous. I have been dismayed to see that the Fisher Price Little People sets were also of such poor quality they were easily broken (Garage, Farm) We just simply stoped buying Little People toys.   I have never purchased any of your Barbie Products, and I have three daughters, I am most definitely disgusted with the Barbie/Bratz sensation, I think that this has done a lot to undermine the sense of feminism and feminity in our daughters. I have made clear to my entire family that Barbies are not welcome as gifts also.

My husband works in Manufacturing, he was a Mold maker in Ontario. Approximately ten years ago, their work began to dry up, many of the contracts that they once had were going to China, where things could be manufactured at a fraction of the cost, we knew that this meant that families in China were not being renumerated well, or treated decently for family members to work in these factories. And that the Chinese Government has a serious record of Human Rights Violations.   This concerned us, we struggled financially until we made the decision to uproot our family to move to Alberta. But what can you do about it as a consumer? That is how you feel, it is too big of a problem for me to do anything about it. We watched some documentaries on this problem and felt we were indeed doing the right thing to continue buying products from China only and because a boycott of China means more suffering for the Chinese people.

I will no longer purchase any products from China. The Chinese Government and ultimately Mattel doesn't care about the poor Chinese worker and their families and they certainly do not care about mine. I will be certain that I will go far out of my way to purchase things which will cost me a lot more money to ensure it did not come from China, or from Mattel/Fisher Price, etc...    The rates that they are destroying their environment to set up more and more factories has rendered them nearly unable to produce clean food for their peoples, all at the cost of cheap, lead-laced toys for my children to enjoy playing with. This is an injustice and a travesty. I won't be a part of it anymore.<<

Am I being too emotional? Going too far?    I wasn't going for mean, just really upset and frustrated with the injustice.

Mary 14,
Tim 13,
Jonah 12,
Josh 10,
Zoe 9,
Will 7,
Peter 6,
Laura-Mae 4,
Emily-Joy 2,
Genevieve & Gabriella 1
Back to Top View asplendidtime's Profile Search for other posts by asplendidtime Visit asplendidtime's Homepage

Cindy Mac
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 02 2007 at 11:15am | IP Logged Quote Cindy Mac

This is just crazy! Fortunately we were spared the red Thomas paint (didn't have any of those trains, although my husband can't imagine how that is possible given how many trains we have! )

When I went on the site last night I took some quiz to determine if I have some of the products (which I do), but it only effects anything purchased after May 1, 2007. I hope that helps ease some people's minds - although who knows what's going to be next

Kellys Klassroom Korner
St. Anne's Academy
Back to Top View Cindy Mac's Profile Search for other posts by Cindy Mac Visit Cindy Mac's Homepage

teachingmyown
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 02 2007 at 11:35am | IP Logged Quote teachingmyown

7smallones wrote:

Am I being too emotional? Going too far?    I wasn't going for mean, just really upset and frustrated with the injustice.

You are not being too emotional. You are perfectly right. Good for you for stating your opinion! We all need to take the time to do so.

The "not buying Chinese thing" has been a passion of mine for a long time. But it is nearly impossible, especially if you catalog shop at all. Did you know that Melissa and Doug products are made in China now? How about Pfaltzgraf? All of the dishes that JC Penney sells are made in China.

My dream is to start a web store with only American-made or Fair-trade products. It won't be any time soon, but it needs to be done.

Sorry to venture so far off topic!

Remembering Today
Back to Top View teachingmyown's Profile Search for other posts by teachingmyown Visit teachingmyown's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version