Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Nurturing the Years of Wonder (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 4Real Forums : Nurturing the Years of Wonder
Subject Topic: Storage for 1000 Bead Chain? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Land O' Cotton
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: July 31 2007 at 7:31pm | IP Logged Quote Land O' Cotton

I just finished my 1000 bead chain this afternoon (whew, that's a lot of beads!) and now I really don't know how to store it. I had the thought of putting it in a basket by itself since it is so long and takes up a good bit of room. The problem with that is, what would I do with the arrows to go with it? I'd like to keep both of them together, but what would work for this? How do you store yours?

On a side note, I have to say this is one of the coolest things I've seen!

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 31 2007 at 7:44pm | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

You could keep them in a little decorative box or bag in the basket with the chain.

btw, where did you get your arrows? I know there is a site to download them, but I can't remember which it is.

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

Land O' Cotton
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 31 2007 at 7:51pm | IP Logged Quote Land O' Cotton

Theresa I found the arrows at jmjpublishing. I used shoestrings for the chain (5 pkgs.) then tied them all together. I think that's what was said to do on the website. I have to admit I had help though. My ds has a broken arm and has been asking for things to do to help me since he really can't do much else with a long arm cast on.
I really appreciated him! He's a sweetie!

Here's the link:

http://www.jmjpublishing.com/pdfs/PDF/Constructive%20Triangl es%201-5.pdf

Meredith
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 31 2007 at 8:59pm | IP Logged Quote Meredith

Oh Vicki, I hope he's allright! I printed off all my arrows at JMJ! We LOVE them I think a decorative box or basket would be a great storage option, and you could use either a jewelry box or a small clear tackle box for the arrows. This one is the Plano 3500. Here's a picture of mine:

Back to Top View Meredith's Profile Search for other posts by Meredith Visit Meredith's Homepage

Celeste
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Aug 01 2007 at 12:33am | IP Logged Quote Celeste

This is what I did for my cubing chains:

Cubing Chains Storage

It's an unfinished (well, finished by me ) shelf from Hobby Lobby fitted with cup hooks. Eventually the number arrows will be stored on top. Cubes and squares will go in the crate below.

I used to store the thousand chain in a box, then in a small drawer. It didn't work so well, as the wire I used is bendy, and the "s" hooks I made to join the bead bars kept joining and separating where they shouldn't.

Celeste
Back to Top View Celeste's Profile Search for other posts by Celeste

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 01 2007 at 2:07am | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

Celeste that looks great!

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

Meredith
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 01 2007 at 9:59am | IP Logged Quote Meredith

Celeste, it's the BEST!! This is how I want to do mine, that is, after I make them all

Thanks for sharing!!

Back to Top View Meredith's Profile Search for other posts by Meredith Visit Meredith's Homepage

Land O' Cotton
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Aug 01 2007 at 10:26am | IP Logged Quote Land O' Cotton

Meredith wrote:
Celeste, it's the BEST!! This is how I want to do mine, that is, after I make them all

Thanks for sharing!!

Ditto!

Meredith, my ds is doing fine, just a little bummed that his summer has taken a turn in a different direction than he had planned. He starts back to college soon, so that will surely get him busy!

Lara Sauer
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 01 2007 at 10:56am | IP Logged Quote Lara Sauer

What pray tell are these chains and arrows used for? I initially thought they were for prayers, but am now assuming this has something to do with math.

Thanks for sharing.
Back to Top View Lara Sauer's Profile Search for other posts by Lara Sauer

Celeste
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Aug 01 2007 at 12:58pm | IP Logged Quote Celeste

Lara, your post reminded me of something: when I was little, my mother made some of the Montessori bead materials (she was working on 3-6 certification). She moved out of her Montessori phase, but the bead bars hung around. We used to use the ten-bars as decade rosaries when a real rosary wasn't handy.

So I guess they COULD be used for prayers. (The thousand chain would be some rosary.) But you're right, they're for math, pretty much at all levels: skip counting, multiples, powers, squaring, cubing. . . .

Celeste

AndreaG
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Aug 01 2007 at 2:12pm | IP Logged Quote AndreaG

Celeste- thanks for sharing- I have been keeping my chains in a tackle box, but that is not working so well. I love the shelf with hooks, and I might use the tackle box for the arrows. Did you make your cubes? And if so do you mind sharing how you did it?

Back to Top View AndreaG's Profile Search for other posts by AndreaG

Celeste
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Aug 01 2007 at 3:09pm | IP Logged Quote Celeste

Yes, I made my cubes, but they're not great. I made the squares then wired them together. Someone, I think on Montessori Makers, figured out a way to make them actually cubish (mine are more impressionistic). (BTW, the faceted beads make good squares, but not good cubes; the round beads work better. But I started having trouble finding affordable round beads in the right sizes and colors; and frankly I'm sick of beads; so there you have it.)

When I first started studying Montessori ten years ago NOBODY made cheap bead material, so I had to make my own. (And am still making. The older the kids get the more beads I need, it seems.) Now there's no turning back, since I've made the time and $ investment; but if I were starting now, I'd probably buy them!

Wearily,
Celeste

Celeste
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Aug 01 2007 at 10:05pm | IP Logged Quote Celeste

Sorry, I'm not really complaining, mostly tongue-in-cheek, hope I didn't discourage anyone! All this contact with the bead materials has opened my eyes to so many math concepts!

Not-really-all-that-tired,
Celeste

AndreaG
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Aug 01 2007 at 10:17pm | IP Logged Quote AndreaG

Celeste- I know what you mean, I started making mine before there were all these great deals, so now I'm invested! How did you make the squares? I tried hot glueing the bars together, but they fell apart easily, did you wire them? I have used faceted beads. If I can get the 8 million other projects I have started done I really want to make the squares and cubes to go with my chains. Is it just me or is the school year rapidly approaching?
And I have another question about bead chains, does anyone know if the arrows are supposed to be stored in the order they will be layed out along the chain (as opposed to just being all mixed up in a plastic box)? It seems like this would make the work much less frustrating, but I'm not sure if that defeats the purpose of making the child think. I know mine get frustrated with the longer chains, hunting for the proper arrow. I really like the tackle box picture that Meredith posted, but I'm just curious what the "Official Montessori Position" is on this.

Back to Top View AndreaG's Profile Search for other posts by AndreaG

Meredith
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 02 2007 at 11:06am | IP Logged Quote Meredith

AndreaG wrote:
Is it just me or is the school year rapidly approaching?

YES!!!

AndreaG wrote:
And I have another question about bead chains, does anyone know if the arrows are supposed to be stored in the order they will be layed out along the chain (as opposed to just being all mixed up in a plastic box)? It seems like this would make the work much less frustrating, but I'm not sure if that defeats the purpose of making the child think. I know mine get frustrated with the longer chains, hunting for the proper arrow. I really like the tackle box picture that Meredith posted, but I'm just curious what the "Official Montessori Position" is on this.

I fashioned my boxes after the directions at JMJ Publishing and it appears to me that she put them in the order that they would be counted???

Anyone who has the R & D Math manuals want to peek and see if there's a mention on this at all??? I'd really like to know too

Celeste
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Aug 12 2007 at 3:17pm | IP Logged Quote Celeste

AndreaG wrote:
How did you make the squares?

Sorry for the long delay in replying. Step by step photos follow--hope they make sense.

First wire wrapped around first bar
Second wire wrapped around second bar
Third bar
All six wired
Starting second row of wrapping I just wove in and out all the way down instead of wrapping (like this); then
wove back up.
Same thing for the next row
And the next, and the next, to the end!

It's about 26-28 gauge wire from Hobby Lobby. (The beads are strung on 20 gauge, which was the thickest they had, but is still a little too flexible. But tolerable.)

Does that make sense?

Celeste

Sorry, you cannot post a reply to this topic.
This forum has been locked by a forum administrator.

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version