Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: quality of organic food Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
LLMom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: July 31 2007 at 8:36am | IP Logged Quote LLMom

I am frustrated. I want to buy organic but the quality has been less than desireable. Has anyone experienced this? Last week I bought some organic yogurt and it had mold on the top. Its expiration date wasn't for 3 weeks. I also bought some organic peaches and they were awful. Dry and spongy texture. Quite frequently, I have this happen with apples and grapes too. The texture of apples is horrible and the grapes are usually squishy. They are not all from the same store either. I want to support the organic food industry but if I spend that much money I hope for quality food.

Back to Top View LLMom's Profile Search for other posts by LLMom

Dawn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 31 2007 at 8:50am | IP Logged Quote Dawn

Lisa, I have found that when I buy organic food from my local conventional shops, every once in a while the produce is less than stellar or the chicken goes bad within a day or there is mold on the bread. I think this is because the turnover is so much slower there than at a natural or whole foods market. While I'm glad these shops are getting organic things in, I'd like to see it as a more than a novelty.

I would bring the inferior food to the store manager's attention. (That's what I've done.) In the meantime, is there a nearby natural food store you can frequent? When I buy organic stuff at Wild Oats, it is always of best quality, but I happen to live in an area where there are grocery stores every few miles ...

I don't know if it's convenient for you to get to a natural food store, but I thought I'd mention my own experience.

Back to Top View Dawn's Profile Search for other posts by Dawn

KackyK
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 31 2007 at 8:58am | IP Logged Quote KackyK

I'm with you on the quality of the items at times...our local grocery store's organic apples tend to have a lot more bruises and the kids just don't seem to like them. And that's so discouraging when you've paid 70cents more per lb for them! I've resorted to buying the usuals and just peeling them...although I know that's not perfect either! I have a Trader Joe's within 20 minutes from here, but very small (at least I think so) and their selection, at least the last time I was there, didn't seem much better. I'm going to plan on hitting the Whole Foods, which is more like 30 minutes away, before school starts. I feel like if I can just get there and take a look at the differences in cost and quality, maybe I can figure it into our schedule to go out there more. I don't know!   

Mom to 8 - 3 dd, 5ds & 4 babes in heaven

Beginning With the Assumption
Back to Top View KackyK's Profile Search for other posts by KackyK Visit KackyK's Homepage

folklaur
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 31 2007 at 10:14am | IP Logged Quote folklaur

I have had the same experience (and I thought it was just me!) We had a Henry's here, and it had the best stuff, but then it closed . We do have WholeFoods (which I think is a bit crazy expensive) and also Trader Joes (but I have had a lot of instances of my TJ bread going moldy before the date too, and I know their turnover is huge?)

My BEST way to get great vegetables was to find a CSA Farm. They aren't "certified organic" but they don't use pesticides, etc. It is very expensive for them to be "certified." The price I pay for my produce with them isn't bad, and the quality has been consistently good.

HTH,
Back to Top View folklaur's Profile Search for other posts by folklaur

LisaD
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 31 2007 at 7:11pm | IP Logged Quote LisaD

I almost never buy organic produce at the supermarket. Organic produce that is not locally grown means it has been shipped...often picked before it is ripe, and/or shipped from very far away if it is not something that is in season where you live. All these things add up to produce that can be bruised, have bad texture, etc. A farmer's market or CSA is the best way to find high-quality, locally grown, in-season produce.

As far as products like milk and yogurt, I would take the spoiled items back to the store. I think it is also a good idea to look for organic dairy that is locally processed. My mom bought organic milk for my kids when we visited recently, and it was ultra-pastuerized and from Illinois (we are in CA)!

I have bought bread that has started to mold before the "use-by" date, too. I try to keep it in the fridge or freezer and that takes care of that problem. On the other hand, I have bought national brand bread that hasn't molded for weeks and weeks--that's even yuckier, imo!

Here
is a link that shows what produce is in season where you live.

HTH!

~Rachel~
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 31 2007 at 7:35pm | IP Logged Quote ~Rachel~

I have to say, that the best quality stuff is usually the local stuff.
So what I started doing was buying locally... not always organic, but definitely fresh . The farmer's market is a real treat for the family

Lighting a Fire
Back to Top View ~Rachel~'s Profile Search for other posts by ~Rachel~ Visit ~Rachel~'s Homepage

chicken lady
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 31 2007 at 8:38pm | IP Logged Quote chicken lady

Depending on where you live you can get organic food delivered, For example I use FFF, they are wonderful, if anything is bad they credit you without any difficulties. I know a friend in Virginia uses them as well and I am in Ohio.
My point is look around some of these places deliver to a large area.
Back to Top View chicken lady's Profile Search for other posts by chicken lady Visit chicken lady's Homepage

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 31 2007 at 8:49pm | IP Logged Quote Mary G

chicken lady wrote:
For example I use FFF, they are wonderful, if anything is bad they credit you without any difficulties.   
OK, we don't have FFF in our area of the Front Range ; does anyone know of a co-op group in the Denver area. Surely there should be one (with all these "granola crunchies" around ) but I haven't found any (except for Dairy which is really good and Sunflower Market!). BTW, I'm in Denver ....

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

chicken lady
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 31 2007 at 8:57pm | IP Logged Quote chicken lady

MAry, we have some good friends who moved to Denver, have you met them????? ANyways if you have Leslie knows ALOT about organic foods, she surely has made some contacts. Let me know if you need contact info for them.

Molly
Back to Top View chicken lady's Profile Search for other posts by chicken lady Visit chicken lady's Homepage

PDyer
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 31 2007 at 9:17pm | IP Logged Quote PDyer

Mary G wrote:
does anyone know of a co-op group in the Denver area.

Mary, you could search here and see what comes up...

Local Harvest

or here:

Green People

Back to Top View PDyer's Profile Search for other posts by PDyer Visit PDyer's Homepage

Sorry, you cannot post a reply to this topic.
This forum has been locked by a forum administrator.

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version