Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Exploring God's Creation in Nature and Science
 4Real Forums : Exploring God's Creation in Nature and Science
Subject Topic: Grow a pineapple plant Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
nicole-amdg
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: July 25 2007 at 6:33pm | IP Logged Quote nicole-amdg

Anybody done this? It sounds fun but I have a brown thumb. We'll try it though, as I have a fresh pineapple to cut and that's not a usual indulgence of ours.

Back to Top View nicole-amdg's Profile Search for other posts by nicole-amdg

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 25 2007 at 6:37pm | IP Logged Quote Mary G

Nicole -- talk about "great minds thinking alike" -- we just got a fresh pineapple today (the kids have never seen one !) and so we'll be trying this too!

BTW, we also got a real coconut -- any ideas folks?

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

missionfamily
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 25 2007 at 7:13pm | IP Logged Quote missionfamily

Mary-- .Hereis a link for what to do with that coconut...should be interesting at least!

Footprints on the Fridge
Back to Top View missionfamily's Profile Search for other posts by missionfamily Visit missionfamily's Homepage

chicken lady
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 25 2007 at 7:42pm | IP Logged Quote chicken lady

MAry coconuts have so many wonderful possibilities! Make a doll cradle, make a bird feeder, very Waldorf!!!! I love buying coconuts and letting the dc come up with new ideas. Last one we had we made into a boat...I sail, I sail

As for never having seen a pineapple.....well Mary I am just going to have to let that one go    Now that cracks me up
Back to Top View chicken lady's Profile Search for other posts by chicken lady Visit chicken lady's Homepage

8kids4me
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 25 2007 at 9:09pm | IP Logged Quote 8kids4me

I have two pineapples just about ready to plant!! My younger kids had never really had fresh pineapple, so it was a real treat for them. I lived in Hawaii as a kid(Navy brat) and we had pineapple all the time, but never tried to plant it. This will be fun.

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 25 2007 at 10:29pm | IP Logged Quote Mary G

chicken lady wrote:
MAry coconuts have so many wonderful possibilities! Make a doll cradle, make a bird feeder, very Waldorf!!!! I love buying coconuts and letting the dc come up with new ideas. Last one we had we made into a boat...I sail, I sail
So glad I could give you a laugh today!

We did a coconut once while we were in Austria -- they sold them in the local grocery. But it took FOREVER to crack the thing (everything we used there was ancient and rented, so we didn't have the best of tools) and the older two were unimpressed by the coconut milk. The younger ones don't remember and for $1.89 I figured I could give them a bit of culture, eh?

I can't believe you actually had ideas for uses of coconuts -- talk about LOL!

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

nicole-amdg
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 26 2007 at 11:56am | IP Logged Quote nicole-amdg

We just had a coconut last week! Kids were very curious up to the time it was time to try what's inside--then they were very leary!

I think the stuff in the middle of a coconut is actually known as coconut water, and coconut milk has to be extracted. Not sure though. I read that coconut water, because of its sterility and sugar content can actually be used as an emergency blood replacement!! Wish I could find the source I read.

Oh, I think this was it.

Back to Top View nicole-amdg's Profile Search for other posts by nicole-amdg

marihalojen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 26 2007 at 5:51pm | IP Logged Quote marihalojen

I've read that if you put the coconut in the oven and watch it, it will crack on its own, no pounding with hammers, cleavers, screwdrivers needed. Just set it in a pan to catch the juice.

NOTE: I have no oven and have never tried this. I think it may work because the coconut water builds up steam inside the coconut which sounds rather exciting actually! Science in the oven!

SSR = Sailing, Snorkling, Reading
Back to Top View marihalojen's Profile Search for other posts by marihalojen Visit marihalojen's Homepage

SuzanneT
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: July 26 2007 at 9:41pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneT

This is such a fun thing to do! For a while, everyone in my hs group was planting pineapples. My husband caught the bug and we had a mini-grove; until my son took over lawn mowing--but I digress. It is a long term project, but so worth the wait. Nothing tastes as sweet as a home grown pineapple! Check out this site: www.morikami.org   Click on Yamato Colony. Lots of really great information about an attempted pineapple plantation in south Florida.

acystay
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 31 2007 at 11:05am | IP Logged Quote acystay

I tried to do the pineapple thing. We did a whole series on plants and what you can grow and gardening a few months back. It never took root though Suzzane does it take a long time to root itself? I'm just asking b/c I was reading about watering it and we do have soaker hoses so I'm wondering if we should not have done the soaker hose but keep watering it by hand and keeping water in the top. Is that right?

We planted an oinoin that had sprouted and potato as well which worked so neat! I wanted to do a mango, but got a little neverous seeing that it was a very TALL tree. You can also sprout Avocado seeds, but if you'd want it as a plant it will take a LONG time to get it going. I think we'll cheat some this fall and sprout an avocado and then go get a tree to plant. My daughter LOVES avocado and so wants a tree so much.
Back to Top View acystay's Profile Search for other posts by acystay

SuzanneT
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Aug 02 2007 at 10:51am | IP Logged Quote SuzanneT

The roots of the pineapple don't go very deep--at least around here where the soil is mostly sand. We just set ours out and let the rains take care of the watering. During the summer/rainy season, we get a nice soaking usually every afternoon

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version