Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady of Good Remedy and Care
 4Real Forums : Our Lady of Good Remedy and Care
Subject Topic: Talking About Drugs Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Jennifer
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: July 25 2007 at 8:49am | IP Logged Quote Jennifer

Our local paper had a front page headline about Meth and its use in our area. Now the drug law enforcers are seeing flavored meth. Strawberry Nesquick is being used. How dare them, trying to fool unsuspecting children. I live in a greater community of 25,000 people and just about everyday I can read about illegal drugs in the newspaper. Now today we turn on the morning news and see Lindsay Lohan being arrested for driving under the influence and having drug paraphenalia in her vehicle. Neither my husband nor I have ever been offered drugs or used them, however we both knew people in college who used drugs and have stories to tell about the effects of drugs on one's body and their intelligence. My children are 9, 8, 5 and 3. I want to start talking to my 9 year old about illegal drugs. She is very intune with the world and very observant when it comes to celebrities. She's also one of those kids who is easily influenced and loves to be part of the scene. I worry about her as she eases into the world without me. I would love for other moms to share their ideas about introducing the topic of illegal drugs to children. How much? When? After the Lindsay thing this morning, Grace asked what that was all about. We talked briefly, but I want input so next time I'm ready to address this. Any books that cover this topic?

Jennifer
Camp Homeschool
Back to Top View Jennifer's Profile Search for other posts by Jennifer

mom2mpr
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 25 2007 at 10:29am | IP Logged Quote mom2mpr

I am with you Jennifer and looking forward to wisdom from the ladies here.
We got a very basic book out of the library last summer(my summer to work on these types of things) and read it with ds. I think approaching this stuff now(ds is 9 also) makes an impact. He "gets" it without the peer pressure. It is nice to plant the seeds. I can't remember the name of the book but it was simple and short. Search your library for some ideas.
Anne
Back to Top View mom2mpr's Profile Search for other posts by mom2mpr

Jennifer
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 31 2007 at 3:18pm | IP Logged Quote Jennifer

Come on, 48 of you have checked out this topic, yet only one has replied and she is just as curious as me. We can't be the only two mothers searching for some good drug info and insight as to how to approach the subject. Start typing, we're ready to read.
Back to Top View Jennifer's Profile Search for other posts by Jennifer

marihalojen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 01 2007 at 7:40am | IP Logged Quote marihalojen

Alright, Jennifer. Go to your library and look up Teen Health. I know you both are talking Pre-Teen but you'll find much more info in any Teen book. Mine has two (not archaic) books that have extensive information on Drugs. You can view the Index of each at the Amazon links. Preview similar books at your library to see if that is what you are looking for.

The two books I personally have seen:
The Teen Health Book: A Parents' Guide to Adolescent Health and Well-Being
Teenage Body Book

Alternately, ask your local DARE officer for info packets. I personally detest DARE having been subjected to it way too many times. I think teaching children to identify drugs by bringing samples to the classroom is absolutely wrong. I think playing recordings of drug raids does nothing to help prevent drug use. I think taking a tour of a police car, watching a drug dog in action, or coloring pictures and doing word searches of drugs are not helpful in preventing drug use.

Do you see the problem, Jennifer? I don't recommend DARE, I don't recommend those two books, I know of no good Catholic book on the subject, the few I've seen were from years ago and sure don't address the issue of Strawberry Meth but rather protecting the Temple of the Holy Spirit. Maybe a book by Jim Auer? Perhaps someone has previewed those?

Be Pro-active.
Don't send mixed messages.
Personally, I believe in talking.
Talk with your child, about the health issues (physical and mental), the legal issues (consequences), the spiritual issues, etc.

SSR = Sailing, Snorkling, Reading
Back to Top View marihalojen's Profile Search for other posts by marihalojen Visit marihalojen's Homepage

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 01 2007 at 10:37pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

One of the things to address which would be Catholic is how sin is effecting the world.. how these people are abusing their bodies, and their minds (drunkeness is spoken against in the Bible and that applies to anything that alters the mind).. I usually point out how sad it is and that we need to pray for these people.. that seems to help keep my kids from the "attitude" that has them telling grownups that the grown up is wrong.. while it may be true it's often inappropriately done.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

ALmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 17 2007 at 3:37am | IP Logged Quote ALmom

Not much help here because we specifically chose not to talk to our young ones about drug use. We never left them with anyone and they were trained not to accept any food kind of stuff from anyone without our specific permission. (Out of habit my older dc still do this- not my college student but definitely all my preteens.   We didn't scare them with all the evil, we simply gave them guidance on expected behavior in normal, matter of fact ways. It seems to have worked for us - and then when they are older and the need is greater, we breech the subject or it comes up naturally. I think the first time we talked to our oldest was just before she went to college. Not what you were asking for, but really this is how we handled it and honestly this dd didn't need the info before then. I know many might think we were crazy and I'm not saying this to question your discernment of a need to breech the subject, but perhaps this is why there aren't many answerers.

Janet
Back to Top View ALmom's Profile Search for other posts by ALmom

Cheryl
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 17 2007 at 6:48am | IP Logged Quote Cheryl

I think we'll just talk with our dc about alcoholism and drug abuse when we feel the time is right. We don't think it's necessary right now, but I imagine we will in the next few years. If they ask a lot of questions that we don't have answers to, then I'll look for the answers.

Back to Top View Cheryl's Profile Search for other posts by Cheryl Visit Cheryl's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version