Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
 4Real Forums : Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
Subject Topic: crayon pouches Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: July 23 2007 at 8:24am | IP Logged Quote Mary G

On another post in Real Learning, Elizabeth said this:
Quote:

I got Katie Stone crayons with the roll up pouch. Outrageously expensive ! What happened next was truly remarkable. Every child in my house from 4-15 sat and colored extraordinary pictures outside until it was too dark to see. The next morning, Nicholas asked for crayons before breakfast. The pouch has inspired orderliness never before seen in a house where crayolas frequently crunch underfoot.

So...I will order more beautiful beeswax crayons and I look forward to making pouches out Heather Bailey fabric left over from apron making!

So, when Elizabeth gets ready to show us how she's done these, we'll ask her nicely to post here.

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

Land O' Cotton
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 30 2007 at 8:54am | IP Logged Quote Land O' Cotton

I would love to see how the pouches are made!

Lori B
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 30 2007 at 3:34pm | IP Logged Quote Lori B

There are instructions for a roll-up crayon pouch here.http://nested.typepad.com/blog/2007/07/materials-you-w.html

My 12yod is making one for her 6yo sister as soon as we get back from vacation
Back to Top View Lori B's Profile Search for other posts by Lori B

Land O' Cotton
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 30 2007 at 5:16pm | IP Logged Quote Land O' Cotton

Oh thank you Lori! Those are too cute!

I've printed off the directions, but don't know when I can make them. Those would really make cute gifts.

Matilda
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 01 2007 at 8:25am | IP Logged Quote Matilda

I posted about making some of these pouches last night on the blog. They were so fun... so addictive! I think I have to have some complimentary pencil pouches too! My goal is to try and use up the materials I have (fabric, ribbon, felt, etc...) before I buy any more. These little things are perfect for that! Anymore ideas like this... send them my way!

Waltzing Matilda
Back to Top View Matilda's Profile Search for other posts by Matilda

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 01 2007 at 11:45am | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

Here is Matilda's post.

Beautiful! They are gorgeous! A GREAT way to use up fabric and materials. I'm inspired!   

Back to Top View SuzanneG's Profile Search for other posts by SuzanneG

ElizLeone
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Aug 11 2007 at 10:15pm | IP Logged Quote ElizLeone

Thank you so much for the link to the crayon pouch instructions, Lori. I couldn't resist making some for my kids.

Here are the results of my crayon-pouch-sewing-session yesterday. Great fun!

Munchkins on the Path
Our Adoption
Back to Top View ElizLeone's Profile Search for other posts by ElizLeone Visit ElizLeone's Homepage

Lori B
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Aug 13 2007 at 11:23am | IP Logged Quote Lori B

Here's an even simpler idea, using placemats. Since we can pick these up at our local $store at 2/ dollar, I think we'll be whipping these up for Christmas presents for all of the cousins

http://jojoebi.blogspot.com/2007/08/fruit-cards-and-plane-pa cks.html

and

http://flickr.com/photos/elleryolivia/650842029//

Sorry about the links, my security program won't let me use the hyperlink window
Back to Top View Lori B's Profile Search for other posts by Lori B

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 13 2007 at 5:10pm | IP Logged Quote Mary G

Lori -- this is a GREAT idea! and definitely a "duh!" moment for me.

Here are the links:
http://jojoebi.blogspot.com/2007/08/fruit-cards-and-plane-pa cks.html
Flickr's link

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: Aug 27 2007 at 8:38am | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

Matilda,
You said something on the phone about the felt being stretchy and that being important. I've purchased placemats and I'm wondering if I should use them and do it like the link above or if I should go back to my original idea which was to use woven cotton and felt. The placemats are like these They're kind of textured and it's hard to see the texture in the picture and words are evading me to describe it. Truthfully, they were the only ones in the store even remotely affordable.

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)
Back to Top View Elizabeth's Profile Search for other posts by Elizabeth

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 27 2007 at 8:56am | IP Logged Quote Erin

I ended up purchasing a variety of Waldorf materials on ebay: block crayons, stick crayons, pencils and beeswax. I then spent the better part of Saturday sewing pouches, it was time consuming but I am very pleased.

Elizabeth
I used plain cotton for the beeswax pouch, as I was concerned about the wax picking up fibre from the felt. However I decided to go with the felt for the crayon pouches as I thought that when sliding in and out of the pouch, the cotton may rub too much on the crayon creating some waste. I thought felt would be kinder, it does also give more. Placemats however would be lots quicker.

I used the above link for measurements and it really was too tight for my stick crayons. I would encourage everyone to check that first. I also had to reconfigure measurements for the blocks, pencils and wax. Just something to think about.

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

Matilda
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 27 2007 at 9:19am | IP Logged Quote Matilda

Elizabeth,
Maybe I didn't allow enough width for each pocket, but when I inserted my crayons (just standard crayola) it seemed like the pouches "buckled" a little if that makes sense. I can take a picture and show you what I mean. It wasn't a big deal and they still work great, but I had considered using cotton for the whole thing and was glad I used the felt. Does that make sense? The cotton might have worked just fine. I don't know.

Waltzing Matilda

missionfamily
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 27 2007 at 10:06am | IP Logged Quote missionfamily

At the Waldorf resources sitethere are instructions for adapting the crayon pouches for stick and block crayons.

Footprints on the Fridge
Back to Top View missionfamily's Profile Search for other posts by missionfamily Visit missionfamily's Homepage

Matilda
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 27 2007 at 10:14am | IP Logged Quote Matilda

Looking at those Waldorf pictures it looks like they "buckle" the same way mine do so maybe the felt doesn't matter so much.I say give it a try!

Waltzing Matilda

Louise
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Aug 27 2007 at 2:48pm | IP Logged Quote Louise

I just posted a few pictures of a crayon pouch I made this weekend. I used cotton with interfacing to make it firmer.

Back to Top View Louise's Profile Search for other posts by Louise Visit Louise's Homepage

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 27 2007 at 5:23pm | IP Logged Quote Mary G

I ended up buying the Stone crayons in the pouch -- figured I'd NEVER get around to sewing one -- and the one thing I don't like about them is that they're so floppy ... Should the crayon pockets alternate on each half so that you could actually fold the whole pouch in half without the crayons hitting each other? For the short term, I've put a piece of felt across the crayons and fold it in half ... but I think I'll end up making my own (yes, I'm that persnickety! -- maybe I'll knit/felt something! )

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: Aug 31 2007 at 4:18pm | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

Textured placemats are a huge disaster. That ribbing is horizontal on the finished product and it's nearly impossible to push the crayons in over the little bumps.

Today, I saw some tea towels on sale at Target. I'm going to try again. Fortunately, I have lots of children and lots of crayons and then I have colored pencils after that...

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)
Back to Top View Elizabeth's Profile Search for other posts by Elizabeth

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 31 2007 at 8:07pm | IP Logged Quote Mary G

Elizabeth wrote:
Today, I saw some tea towels on sale at Target. I'm going to try again. Fortunately, I have lots of children and lots of crayons and then I have colored pencils after that...
Well, see, now we know the true reason to have lots of kids ... AND lots of craft stuff!

amarytbc
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Aug 31 2007 at 8:21pm | IP Logged Quote amarytbc

Great idea. I'd run right out and do this, but my daughter's crayons are usually half used up in a week. I can just picture her trying to dig out the little crayon stub from the pocket
Back to Top View amarytbc's Profile Search for other posts by amarytbc

CathinCoffeland
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Sept 01 2007 at 3:23pm | IP Logged Quote CathinCoffeland

Hey Louise...I have a skirt made out of that fabric!

I love the little bees...I think I have some scraps left...is it unfashionable to match your art supplies

maggie
Back to Top View CathinCoffeland's Profile Search for other posts by CathinCoffeland Visit CathinCoffeland's Homepage

Page of 2 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version