Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Language Arts Come Alive
 4Real Forums : Language Arts Come Alive
Subject Topic: Spinergy Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Online Status: Offline
Posted: July 19 2005 at 7:51pm | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

Gosh it's hot! I'm looking for indoor games to play and Julie Bogart recommends this one. Can anyone tell me how young a player can be?

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)
Back to Top View Elizabeth's Profile Search for other posts by Elizabeth

Courtney
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 19 2005 at 7:58pm | IP Logged Quote Courtney

Here's the description from Amazon...sounds like it's a game for older ones.

SPINERGY - the game of original spin! With its cool spinning game board and original game play, award-winning Spinergy will capture your imagination! Imagine creating an excuse to get out of a speeding ticket. Sound easy? Now imagine doing it using three random words! That's Spinergy! Spin the wheels of the beautiful random word generator to get three random words. Then draw a Scenario card. Using the three words, create a response to the Scenario card all in 60 seconds! For example, using 'neon', 'diaper' and 'donut', create a shocking tabloid headline, deliver the ultimate pickup line, explain the meaning of life or, create the next blockbuster movie plot! You'll laugh uproariously and cheer wildly as you and your family and friends spin responses that range from the hilarious and wacky to the amazing and inspired. The player with the most points wins the game, but, you'll be having so much fun, you may not care! With two interchangeable word ring sets and 200 Scenario cards, there are over 1.5 billion combinations! More fun than you can imagine! (Themed add-on word ring sets also available.) (Teens and up, 2 or more players)

Back to Top View Courtney's Profile Search for other posts by Courtney

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: July 19 2005 at 7:59pm | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

Okay, so that won't work. Game suggestions anyone?

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)

Courtney
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 19 2005 at 8:09pm | IP Logged Quote Courtney

My dc's two best friends (our neighbors from when we lived in Houston) are staying with us for the week. We played Twister today and they really enjoyed it. We've been into cards and pick up sticks lately although I'm sure that may not be too enticing for the older ones. My mil gave my dd a card game called Blink for Christmas. It's a lot of fun but only for two people at a time. Even my 5 yr old ds can play it. My dh and the kids and I played charades a couple of nights ago. It was pretty impromptu. We'd give a category and each have turn acting out something from that. The best one was when my dc acted out different weather forms! One more that my kids love even though the younger needs assistance is Yahtzee. I remember playing that game for hours as a child. It's great for learning multiplication, too. I've been trying to bring back older games like that and jacks. We played jacks for hours as kids. HOpe some of these ideas help. You could always set up a couple of different game stations with 2-3 kids at each. One more idea: my sister has a game called Pigs. You roll the 2 pigs and depending on how they land, you get a certain number of points. My dc thought it was pretty funny.

juliecinci
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 20 2005 at 4:32am | IP Logged Quote juliecinci

Hi Elizabeth.

My younger kids play Spinergy too. We just let them take longer to think of their answers and sometimes I will write them down on their behalf.

We're really into the entire set of Settlers games (got the Cities and Knights as well as the Seafarers variations). Seafarers has oodles of maps and variations on the original game play which has made it a popular game for us. We play over and over again. It's worth it to buy the expansion sets for these as well so that you can have up to six people play.

Then there is always chess (we play chess using a random version where the back row is rearranged at random based on calling out numbers for the pieces in a new order).

And we love cards.

Having just been on vacation for two an a half weeks without the TV access we are used to and limited computer, it was fun to see how the kids used their time. Chess, cards and Settlers were the big three.

Julie~~recovering from jetlag who was in the Sistine Chapel less than 48 hours ago...

Molly Smith
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 20 2005 at 6:00am | IP Logged Quote Molly Smith

Elizabeth wrote:
Okay, so that won't work. Game suggestions anyone?

We love the Cranium games. Even little Katie could play Balloon Lagoon with a little help and Hullaballo with no help at all. They're fun, fast moving, musical games. We've come up with a twist for Balloon Lagoon, so let me know if you end up getting it and I'll let you in on our method.

We also have the Cranium Cadoo and Conga which are a little challenging, but with a mom or older sibiling nearby shouldn't be too difficult (Sarah doesn't participate in these unless we're a "team").

We've also been playing card cames: Tonka Crazy Eights, Slamwich (very fun!), Blink and, of course, Go-Fish.

This heat is unbearable, isn't it?? Stay cool...

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: July 20 2005 at 6:28am | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

We have Ballon Lagoon, thanks to Mary Chris and it's ahuge hit. What's Hullaballoo? We have Cadoo; what Conga?

Molly Smith
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 20 2005 at 9:23am | IP Logged Quote Molly Smith

I liken Hullaballo to Twister in that it's a full body movement game. There are a bunch of rubber pieces--each a different color and shape with a different image. You spread the pieces out over the area where you're playing--it'd be very easy to do it outside or in. A sturdy little contraption plays music and tells the players where to go and how to get there (e.g., hop to a blue triangle, crawl to a musical instrument) and you are to touch a piece that matches the description. At some random time, the contraption calls out that if you are on a particular piece you have to do a little dance or some other silly thing. It's just fun and silly and doesn't have winners or losers.

Conga says it's for ages 8 and up, but my 5yo plays it with some help from me. You pick a card that will give you one of four activities: Sculptorades (sculpt your answer out of the included clay), Mindreader (write down your answer and the other players try to guess it), Soundstage (act out your answer using gestures and sound effects), or Guesstimator (players try to guess your answer). The object is to earn scoring tiles by correctly guessing what the other player is thinking before time runs out. The person who fills their scoring case first wins. Oh, and there is a fun magnetic pad for writing your secret answers down, a timer and scoring lights that tell you how many scoring tiles you earn (it varies depending on how many guesses it takes to get the answer). This really isn't as complicated as it sounds .

Becky Parker
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 22 2005 at 7:10am | IP Logged Quote Becky Parker

[QUOTE=juliecinci] Hi Elizabeth.

We're really into the entire set of Settlers games (got the Cities and Knights as well as the Seafarers variations). Seafarers has oodles of maps and variations on the original game play which has made it a popular game for us. We play over and over again. It's worth it to buy the expansion sets for these as well so that you can have up to six people play.

I'm trying to figure out how to do the quote thing but I guess I'll just ask my question! Are these board games? Is there a website where I can find out more about them? They sound like something my dh and ds would really enjoy.
Becky
Back to Top View Becky Parker's Profile Search for other posts by Becky Parker

MacBeth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Probably at the beach...

Posted: July 22 2005 at 8:10am | IP Logged Quote MacBeth

juliecinci wrote:

My kids LOVE Settlers. They took Settlers of Canaan to the Catholic conference over the weekend, and played it in the lobby with kids they had just met that day. Paul begged to take it to visit Libby, so she could join the fun! The other day, when it was hotter than hot, they played it for four hours, and there was no arguing (a near impossibility with the strong personalities in this house )!

Nature Study
MacBeth's Blog
Back to Top View MacBeth's Profile Search for other posts by MacBeth Visit MacBeth's Homepage

Courtney
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 22 2005 at 8:55am | IP Logged Quote Courtney

How young of a child could play Settlers?

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version