Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Mothering and Family Life
 4Real Forums : Mothering and Family Life
Subject Topic: 1 Girl, the Oldest, How to Make Special?? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Meredith
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: July 19 2007 at 7:25pm | IP Logged Quote Meredith

OK, I'm looking for seasoned wise advice here ladies...I have one daughter who is the oldest and she is now 11 and she is the most precious girl anybody could ask for, she's truly amazing...

My question is, with a house full of little boys (well one's not so little anymore 8.5), but the others are 2 and 5 and no friends for her right now, what would be some things to make extra special for your girl(s)???

I know this is a bit open-ended, but I'm looking for ANYTHING!!! We did just finish this incredible project together but it did take 3 years to complete due to two other babies in the mix    I know I also have a small family compared to most of you vetrans, I humbly ask for your suggestions!

Blessings!

Back to Top View Meredith's Profile Search for other posts by Meredith Visit Meredith's Homepage

Mare
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 19 2007 at 9:17pm | IP Logged Quote Mare

Oh Meredith,

That is just lovely!

I, too, am the oldest of four and the only girl. That mother/daughter time was so special to me growing up. My mom and I would bake often. I especially enjoyed baking Christmas cookies. The joy of that time has spread to my five dds now.

My mom has shared some of her recipes. I love having her handwritten recipes. One thing that I would like to do and haven't done yet is make a scrapbook of favorite recipes with a photo of the person next to the handwritten recipe. For example, my mil loves making pasta salad. I'd like to have her recipe and a photo of her on the same page.

My mom and I also would make a Christmas ornament each year. I still have them. They are treasured ornaments that get unwrapped each year with a story behind it and then get carefully wrapped up for the next year.

Perhaps you could work on a family history book? I say this b/c in hindsight, I wish I had done this earlier in my life. I started getting interested in family history after meeting my future mil. As a wife and mother, I often wished I had asked my grandmother more questions when I was younger. She is rejoicing with the angels now.

Here is an idea that you may want to tuck away for the distant future.

On the day of my bridal shower, I received a binder filled with wedding day stories from my grandmothers, aunts and cousins and my from my dh's grandmother, mother and aunts. It was really quite touching. The binder had a hand quilted cover on it done by my mother. I just love that binder!

Now our mother/daughter time has expanded to mother/daugher/granddaughters time. Each year we go away to their shorehouse for a weekend in December. We make cookies, watch Christmas movies and go out to see all the Christmas lights and some shopping. It is one of the highlights of the year for us.

Keep making wonderful memories!

Back to Top View Mare's Profile Search for other posts by Mare

Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 19 2007 at 9:44pm | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

Meredith,
I remember when my oldest dd turned 12. There were 7 years between her and her sister. She was sandwiches between two boys.

Anyway, I took her to our bookstore coffee shop (just the two of us) and presented her with The Country Diary of an Edwardian Lady by Edith Holden.

Each month we'd treat ourself to a coffee (I believe she got a lemonade or cold drink) and we'd look through the book and just talk.

Sad to say, I don't remember finishing the book. But the times we went were lovely and I remember them fondly. I hope she does too.

mom to 5
Cajun Cottage Under the Oaks
Back to Top View Cay Gibson's Profile Search for other posts by Cay Gibson Visit Cay Gibson's Homepage

Meredith
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 20 2007 at 9:31am | IP Logged Quote Meredith

Thank you Mare and Cay for your thoughtful replies. These sound like wonderful ways to make special times for her. I love them both, actually have The Country Diary (I bought if for Me years ago) But something similar would be just as great, any book for that matter.

We do get to have occaisional "days out" with just us two, but they seem few and far between. I just don't want this precious "pre-teen" time to slip away in he busyness and sillyness of boys that she gets to the teenage years and I've missed something. Just mommy paranoia creeping in here

Love your ideas, thank you again!

Back to Top View Meredith's Profile Search for other posts by Meredith Visit Meredith's Homepage

JenniferS
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 20 2007 at 1:20pm | IP Logged Quote JenniferS

Oh...thank you for posting your question. Our oldest is a girl, and she has five younger brothers. She is such a great kid, and I sometimes feel like she gets lost among the boys. Thanks!

Jen
Back to Top View JenniferS's Profile Search for other posts by JenniferS

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: July 20 2007 at 2:16pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Meredith wrote:
My question is, with a house full of little boys (well one's not so little anymore 8.5), but the others are 2 and 5 and no friends for her right now, what would be some things to make extra special for your girl(s)???

Take a mother-daughter trip to Denver....

But seriously, as you know we have similar dynamics here thought the birth order is different. I know I'm in a different situation because we do live in an area where there are other homeschool girl friends for my daughter to escape the testosterone occasionally. So in your current environment I know that is a challenge. I don't have great ideas other than to reiterate that the gift of time together with her is precious - no matter what you actually do during that time. In many ways being the only girl helps mom and daughter have a very special bond within the family. Meredith, you are doing a wonderful job. The reason she is such an amazing girl is because of the relationship you have and all that you do in your everyday life already.

And the quilt is really amazing. What a keepsake. I'll keep thinking of specific ideas/projects that might be worthwhile.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

MaryMary
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 20 2007 at 11:53pm | IP Logged Quote MaryMary

I just happened upon this lovely website and I thought of you, Meredith

This book really intrigues me, though I have not read it myself. Judging by the description, it sounds chock full of ideas for building wonderful memories and meaningful traditions with our daughters through a hope chest.

I have two young daughters myself, and I am ALWAYS looking for opportunities to make lasting memories with them, in a manner slightly different than with my young son. Thanks for starting this interesting thread!

Back to Top View MaryMary's Profile Search for other posts by MaryMary

Meredith
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 21 2007 at 9:18am | IP Logged Quote Meredith

MaryM wrote:
Take a mother-daughter trip to Denver....

Now wouldn't that just be grand, maybe next Spring??

MaryM wrote:
But seriously, as you know we have similar dynamics here thought the birth order is different. I know I'm in a different situation because we do live in an area where there are other homeschool girl friends for my daughter to escape the testosterone occasionally. So in your current environment I know that is a challenge.

Yes, and it looks as though we may be here longer than expected, which IS a good thing in that I don't have to be packing right now but....sigh    

MaryM wrote:
In many ways being the only girl helps mom and daughter have a very special bond within the family. Meredith, you are doing a wonderful job. The reason she is such an amazing girl is because of the relationship you have and all that you do in your everyday life already.

I DO know this and thank you for the sweet words, although as she gets older I tend to question myself more. I want her to have it all, know what I mean I guess the best thing is that she is very much a child of God and takes her spirituality pretty seriously for an 11yo, which makes me happy. I keep thinking of the end goal ^|^

MaryM wrote:
And the quilt is really amazing. What a keepsake. I'll keep thinking of specific ideas/projects that might be worthwhile.

You have so many great ideas, I'd love anything!!

MaryMary, thank you so much for the beautiful site, I LOVE it!! We don't have an official hope *chest* but we have been saving and collecting special little things, andof course all the sewing we have done together. Hmm, do 8 rubbermaid boxes of her baby clothing qualify I just haven't been able to part with them yet, just in case...

Thank you again for your beautiful replies ladies!

helene
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 21 2007 at 7:33pm | IP Logged Quote helene

I also take my oldest daughter out to bookstore evenings when the others have gone to bed. We have a hot chocolate and browse together. I know this means a lot to her.

Donna Marie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 21 2007 at 7:42pm | IP Logged Quote Donna Marie

My eldests are 13yo twins and they are sooo incredible. They are my right and left hand gals...so to speak!

I was out shopping the other day and I went into the bookstore and found special presents for them in the bargain book section. One dd is very into horses and they had two large books about them. The other dd is very into art and they had a very nice sketching set and watercolor set. I handed these gifts to them and said, "When you help out the way you do, I don't know how or when, but there will be special times and special moments for us when I can find them." I don't do this often, but when I do, I try to make it count with good eye-contact and a hug... It doesn't have to be a gift, but a moment that is given like one. IYKWIM

God love you!
Donna Marie from NJ
hs momma to 7dc

Finding Elegant Simplicity
Back to Top View Donna Marie's Profile Search for other posts by Donna Marie Visit Donna Marie's Homepage

teachingmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Virginia Bluebells

Posted: July 23 2007 at 3:34pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmom

Hi Meredith,
I was an only girl, with 5 brothers. Yes, the house I grew up in was VERY different than my current one with 6 daughters.

I can think of a few things my mom did with me that made me feel special. I remember her teaching me to sew. She also made a point of taking me out to plays and lunches at restaurants either alone, or with my grandmother when she was visiting, or with a friend of mine and her mom. I don't recall my brothers making an issue if being left out, so I guess they thought that whatever we did was too "girly" for them.

Growing up, I didn't appreciate that gift that being an only girl was. But now I see that my mom was able to make me feel cherished as a daughter in a way that I just can't duplicate in my house full of daughters. But, on the other hand, my girls have the gift of sisters, which I never had and always wished for. I think it's wonderful that you are going about mothering your only daughter in such a purposeful, loving way.

Meredith
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 23 2007 at 3:54pm | IP Logged Quote Meredith

Thank you Helene, Donna Marie, and Irene, you've given me some more wonderful things to ponder!

We had a special little impromptu outing yesterday and picked up some super yummy quilting squares to start making a baby quilt for her keepsakes in case she ever has any little ones (which I'm sure she will) last count was 4 boys and 4 girls I keep telling her that I so hope she will be blessed in that way

Blessings!

marianne
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 30 2007 at 8:03am | IP Logged Quote marianne

Hi Meredith,

You've gotten some great ideas and I KNOW you're already doing a wonderful job.

One of the things we do together almost every day is have a special tea time. We keep two fancy tea cups and saucers in the formal dining room (apart from the regular craziness) and she pours juice or anything for us and maybe we eat a tootsie roll and talk together about whatever her little heart desires. We also shop, scrapbook together, and sometimes we have "slumber parties" when dh is out of town. Do you hang out with her and practice with toenail polish and/or makeup at all? My dd loves to do that, but would never want to go out of the house with make up on yet, or anything. Do you spend time fixing each other's hair? We bought a flattening iron and experimented with that on each other - it broke after a couple of weeks, but that was a fun thing, too.

Meredith
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 30 2007 at 10:32am | IP Logged Quote Meredith

Yes, Marianne, we do do all of these things, but I may ramp up the tea for two idea, although I know the boys will come running if there hear teacups rattling, they LOVE tea time

I am a retired Aesthetician so we're all set in the make-up and toenail painting dept We've actually been having all kinds of fun doing her hair with the curling iron and pillow rollers for Mass and we have the American girl Hairstyling DVD, it's awesome, so we practice ALOT on her dolls. Sleepovers are our favorite when dh is gone, but we have to be sneaky about it or I'll have the whole gang in my bed

I SO appreciate all your ideas, they have assured me that I'm not falling down on the job too much here

Blessings and thanks again!

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 30 2007 at 10:53am | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

Meredith wrote:

I am a retired Aesthetician so we're all set in the make-up and toenail painting dept

Now THERE's an idea for the Real Learning Conference...

Meredith could "set up shop" and give make-overs and manicures!        

Back to Top View SuzanneG's Profile Search for other posts by SuzanneG

Paula in MN
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 30 2007 at 1:25pm | IP Logged Quote Paula in MN

Meredith, I know you said you have The Country Diary, but do you have her other book - Nature Notes of an Edwardian Lady? It is actually the first book she wrote, and perhaps Cay's idea of an outing and paging through this book might be fun. My dd8 and I sure enjoy it!

Meredith
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 30 2007 at 3:09pm | IP Logged Quote Meredith

Thank you Paula, I guess I didn't know there was another one joy of joys I'll check it out!!

holbein7856
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Aug 07 2007 at 3:17pm | IP Logged Quote holbein7856

Meredith,
My oldest, Maria, is also a girl, just 13, with six younger brothers. We now have the blessing of a little sister, Rose, who will be one in September. I know exactly what you mean. I think it's a gift that we have the capacity to realize that time is precious, and we want our children to have everything. Maria, also, does not have many friends her age, and certainly NO close ones. This has caused me some sorrow, as I would like her to have a good friend, but I just have to content myself with knowing that God knows what she needs. She is still very pre-teen.
It sounds to me like you're doing a great job! As for us, we've done similar things as to what's been posted. Maria has her own room (until Rose leaves our bed), and last night, I crawled in bed with her and we read together. I think the most important thing is to just be present to her, listen to her, share her joys and sorrows. My boys are so rambunctious and loud, it's so easy to forget to say "thank you" in a meaningful way.

Silvia in Colorado
Back to Top View holbein7856's Profile Search for other posts by holbein7856

Meredith
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 07 2007 at 4:29pm | IP Logged Quote Meredith

Thank you for your thoughts Silvia and welcome to the forums!!! And rambunctious is a good word for boys isn't it

Bedtime snuggles are the best, I need one of those tonight

Blessings!

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version