Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: Tea Time treats Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Becky Parker
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: July 18 2007 at 6:18am | IP Logged Quote Becky Parker

I'm not sure this is the place to put this so if it isn't please feel free to move me!! With the birth of our newest little one I see the need to get things back to our normal routine around here - big time! One of the things that has fizzled since the end of spring is our daily tea time. I've been trying to get back to it as it is such a nice ritual and it seems to say to the kids "see, just like before, everything is getting back to normal now". (They've been a little hyper lately which tells me they are insecure.)   ANYWAY, I need some inspiration. I hate to keep giving them store-bought cookies and junk each day, but at the same time, it's the "treat" that makes this such a special time of day for them. What do you give your kids at tea time? I think, for now, I need easy ideas. It gets pretty warm these summer months so a lot of baking isn't that appealing to me. Plus, with new baby, and a healing incision, my energy level is a little low. (I'm not complaining, really! Just being realistic.)

Back to Top View Becky Parker's Profile Search for other posts by Becky Parker

nissag
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 18 2007 at 6:55am | IP Logged Quote nissag

Becky,

Tea time at our house is literally supper time. However, I am understanding that you are doing something like a cream tea, or a morning tea which would include lovely nibbles. My mother and I used to have a tea late in the evening before bed, with nibbles - usually Pepperidge Farm cookies/bisuits.

For cream teas, I love to prepare little cakes (in small tins so they get eaten in one go). When I was on chemo several years ago, I discovered the delights of bugs in a boat for our afternoon snack. Slice apples, remove core, spread on nut butter (using a baby spoon really made that part easier) and sprinkle on raisins or dried cranberries.   My husband made snack one afternoon and it was a hit. He took crackers (Late July, Ritz, or water crackers will work) spread with nut butter and sprinkled little mini chocolate chips on top. PBJ sandwiches cut with a cookie cutter, pieces of fruit cut into pretty shapes with small cutters, strawberries dipped in a nice yogurt dip... Hmmm, yogurt sundaes with a ginger snap on top, bananas and cinnamon. Not very elegant, but easy even for the children to prepare.

For fresh baked cookies, try using mixes until you are feeling better. It's lots of fun for the children and if you use baker's parchment or foil in the pan, there's no clean up for you. You could squeeze on some ready-made icing (you can sometimes get better stuff at a cake decorating shop) and decorate with a cherry or with an icing rose. Or with one of those frosting letters you find at the grocery.

I think that the children probably feel that the ritual is more important than the treats. I know how you feel about store-bought. I'm the same way. Give yourself a bit more time. Maybe you have a lovely local baker where you could pick up a special treat every week? Or a fab neighbour who can offer some help?

Maybe the children can come up with a tea time treat and do the clean up for Mama...

At Home With the Gadbois Family

Back to Top View nissag's Profile Search for other posts by nissag Visit nissag's Homepage

Mary Chris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 18 2007 at 11:38am | IP Logged Quote Mary Chris

Here are some mixes I got years ago from Suz in Frog Pond on the FIAR board. I have never tried them but I keep hoping to sometime. I need to dig around my computer to see if I can find some of the other recipes she sent out using mixes.

Cookie Mix

8 cups all-purpose flour
2 ½ cups sugar
2 cups brown sugar, packed
4 tsp salt
1 ½ tsp baking powder
3 cups shortening

In a large bowl, combine dry ingredients until well-blended. With pastry blender, cut in shortening until mixture resembles corn meal. Store in a large airtight container in a cool, dry place. Use within 10-12 weeks.

CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES

OVEN=375

3 cups cookie mix
3 TBS. milk
1 tsp vanilla
1 egg
1 cup chocolate chips

Grease baking sheets. In a large bowl, combine cookie mix, mild, vanilla and egg. Blend well. Stir in chips. Drop by teaspoonsful onto baking sheets, at least 1 inch apart. Bake 10 to 15 minutes until golden brown.
Makes about 24 cookies.

BANANA – COCONUT COOKIES

OVEN = 375

2 cups cookie mix
1 cup coconut
1 medium banana, mashed
1tsp vanilla
1 egg, beaten
½ cup oats

Grease baking sheets. In a medium bowl, combine mix, coconut, banana, vanilla and egg. Beat well. Stir in oats. Drop by teaspoonfuls onto baking sheets. Bake 10 to 12 minutes, until edges are brown. Makes about 36 cookies.

PEANUT BUTTER COOKIES

OVEN =375

3 cups cookie mix
¼ cup brown sugar, packed
1 tsp vanilla
2 eggs
½ cup peanut butter

Grease baking sheets. Combine all ingredients in a medium bowl. Blend well. Shape into 1 inch balls. Place on baking sheets and flatten with fork tines. Bake 10 to 12 minutes until edges are browned. Makes about 30 to 36 cookies

SNICKERDOODLES

OVEN = 400

2 ½ cups cookie mix
¼ tsp baking soda
1 tsp cream of tartar
1 egg
2 TBS sugar
1 tsp cinnamon

In a medium bowl, combine mix, soda, cream of tartar and egg. Mix well. Combine sugar and cinnamon in small bowl or baggie. Shape dough into 1 ½ inch round balls. Roll or shake in cinnamon-sugar. Place 2 inches apart on ungreased baking sheets. Flatten slightly with bottom of glass. Bake 8 to 10 minutes until slightly browned with cracked tops. DO NOT OVERBAKE, PLEASE!! Makes about 24 cookies.

TROPICAL MACAROONS

OVEN = 350

2 Cups cookie mix
2 egg yolks
1 ¼ cups coconut
1 8.5 oz can crushed pineapple

Grease baking sheets. In a medium bowl, combine all ingredients. Stir until well blended. Drop by teaspoonfuls onto baking pans. Bake 12 to 15 minutes, until edges are golden. Makes 30 to 36 cookies.

Lillian
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: July 18 2007 at 12:25pm | IP Logged Quote Lillian

Nissa,

Those were some GREAT ideas!! We are starting tea time this school year (our first one was yesterday, they couldn't wait for school to start) and it was a hit. We made peach cobbler and I was already starting to stress about being able to keep up with the snacks. Thanks for the WONDERFUL ideas!!

Isabelle 9, Anna 7, Sophia 5, Kolbe 4, Catherine 2

Smithflections

Back to Top View Lillian's Profile Search for other posts by Lillian Visit Lillian's Homepage

Meredith
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 18 2007 at 12:53pm | IP Logged Quote Meredith

I just posted this about our yummy Teat we had on Monday! Enjoy!

Back to Top View Meredith's Profile Search for other posts by Meredith Visit Meredith's Homepage

nissag
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 18 2007 at 1:01pm | IP Logged Quote nissag

Oh, Meredith! What a lovely recipe - as always! Delish!

Back to Top View nissag's Profile Search for other posts by nissag Visit nissag's Homepage

ann@home
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 18 2007 at 1:28pm | IP Logged Quote ann@home

for hot weather to avoid the oven how about dipping fruit in yogurt? Each child could have their own little yogurt cup and you could have a pretty array of fruit for them to pick from.

How about just using little cookie cutters (I got some small ones from Pampered chef) and use it on cheese. The kids love it. I get the block cheese, slice it, then use the cutters. I still use the scraps later of course.
Makes cheese and crackers seem quite grand.

MicheleQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 19 2007 at 12:33am | IP Logged Quote MicheleQ

Oh lovely ideas! We're going back to having tea times this year too. My older boys liked it somewhat but not too often so we sort of phased it out. Now that my girls are older they LOVE the idea. And knowing my 11 yr. old dd I won't have to do much - she'll have it all set up and ready to go at the appointed time (I told dh tonight that she is like my second brain - always one step ahead of me. . .she is even starting to finish my sentences!)

Back to Top View MicheleQ's Profile Search for other posts by MicheleQ Visit MicheleQ's Homepage

Eleanor
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 19 2007 at 12:42am | IP Logged Quote Eleanor

You can make cookies in a microwave, if you want to avoid heating up the house. They don't get very crispy or brown, but they taste fine. Just make a roll of any type of refrigerator cookie dough, around 1 1/2" in diameter, wrap it in wax paper or parchment, and chill it for several hours at least. Cut some 1/4" thick slices, arrange them in a circle on a plate, then microwave them until they puff up -- it will just be a matter of seconds. (The exact timing varies a lot, so until you have it figured out, the best way is to keep an eye on them.)

You can only cook maybe 6 or 7 cookies at a time -- unless you have a big microwave, and a suitable platter -- but they're done so quickly, it's no trouble to make multiple batches. The rest of the dough will keep in the refrigerator for several days, so you can have fresh cookies every tea time.    

Certain types of moist cakes and squares, such as brownies, also work very well in the microwave. So do muffins (which you can make in small Pyrex custard cups). Any library will have a selection of microwave cookbooks, probably dating from the 70's or 80's. Thrift shops also tend to have a plentiful supply of them.

It's funny that I've turned into such a fan of the microwave. We actually gave ours away a couple of years ago, because we weren't using it much. Now that I'm cooking for young children in the summer heat, though, we've ended up buying another one, and it's been a huge help.   (I know some people think there are health risks to microwave ovens, and perhaps there are... but I've never seen them substantiated, so we're willing to take our chances!)
Back to Top View Eleanor's Profile Search for other posts by Eleanor

Becky Parker
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 19 2007 at 6:57am | IP Logged Quote Becky Parker

Thanks for all the great ideas ladies!! I was mostly thinking about the "necessity" of returning to tea time, for my kids. Now I am quite excited about it myself! It's interesting to me that when I decided we needed some "normalcy" around here the first thing I thought of was tea time. I think my mom, who is staying with us for a couple weeks thought I was nuts, but even she is noticing how 3 hyper boys, a very emotional 8 yo girl and a frazzled momma all regain some sanity for tea time!

rashfordmom
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: July 21 2007 at 9:33pm | IP Logged Quote rashfordmom

Becky
We've also fallen out of the tea time routine with the summer vacations and visiters in town. I agree that all these ideas are great.

We often do popcorn or pretzels for tea time and we don't even always serve tea! When we first started the routine, I "hooked" them with something sweet but found that 3:00 in the afternoon wasn't the best time to pump them full of sugar So we try to alternate sweet and salty. What stays the same is reading a good picture book and we try to pray a chaplet. Don't feel like you have to give them something sweet.

Blessings,
Amanda
Back to Top View rashfordmom's Profile Search for other posts by rashfordmom

marihalojen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 22 2007 at 1:39pm | IP Logged Quote marihalojen

Dd and I were housesitting last week and so had access to an oven. We popped open a can of biscuits and smushed a mango up to top the baked biscuits with. It was like a delightfully fresh mango shortcake minus the whipped cream and so very easy. She did all the work! Kid prepped treats taste the best, don't you think?

SSR = Sailing, Snorkling, Reading
Back to Top View marihalojen's Profile Search for other posts by marihalojen Visit marihalojen's Homepage

nissag
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 22 2007 at 2:15pm | IP Logged Quote nissag

Oh that reminds me of something my mother used to make for a treat once in a while. She'd buy a tin of guava paste to spread on crackers - graham, water, saltine... Whatever we had. It's delish! And it was very exotic for us. I bet it would be lovely on shortbread, too!

Becky Parker
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 22 2007 at 5:32pm | IP Logged Quote Becky Parker

Thanks for all the input ladies! My grocery list is getting longer and longer!

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version