Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: Can someone explain Dave Ramsey to me? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Ruth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: July 17 2007 at 12:23pm | IP Logged Quote Ruth

Help!!! I have seen his name here a few times and just went on his website, but I get VERY overwhelmed with too much information and too many choices.

Can someone explain this lifestyle to me? Is it worth the monthly payment? I don't need to add anymore things to our budget. I'm already struggling with the budget we have now.

Thanks,

mom to 7 miracles

My family blog

Loreto Rosaries
Back to Top View Ruth's Profile Search for other posts by Ruth Visit Ruth's Homepage

humanaevitae
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 17 2007 at 1:02pm | IP Logged Quote humanaevitae

I'm wondering too.

MommyD
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 17 2007 at 1:15pm | IP Logged Quote MommyD

I listen to his radio show everyday on the internet for free. Basically, he has a list of baby steps to follow and his big (BIG) deal is to pay off all debt as fast as you can.

Go to the bottom of his home page. You'll find lots of stuff under "Useful Tools" including budget forms. From the site, here are the baby steps:

~$1,000 to start an Emergency Fund
   ~Pay off all debt using the Debt Snowball
   ~Three to six months of expenses in savings
   ~Invest 15% of household income into Roth IRAs and pre-tax retirement
   ~College funding for children
   ~Pay off home early
   ~Build wealth and give!
Invest in mutual funds and real estate

Check out any of his books at the library. The Total Money Makeover is really good.

I've never taken the classes so I can't help with that.

Melissa
Back to Top View MommyD's Profile Search for other posts by MommyD

asplendidtime
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 17 2007 at 2:25pm | IP Logged Quote asplendidtime

We are following the Dave Ramsey plan, we bought the book "The Total Money Makeover", we don't do a payment for the website services. We also listen to the radio show for free!   

Mary 14,
Tim 13,
Jonah 12,
Josh 10,
Zoe 9,
Will 7,
Peter 6,
Laura-Mae 4,
Emily-Joy 2,
Genevieve & Gabriella 1
Back to Top View asplendidtime's Profile Search for other posts by asplendidtime Visit asplendidtime's Homepage

Jen L.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 17 2007 at 4:46pm | IP Logged Quote Jen L.

His books are VERY easy to read and not full of Too Much Information, I don't think. Total Money Makeover is a good place to start. (And actually, the books have a lot of overlap)

Don't pay for anything - at least until you know and understand him well.

Definitely listen to the radio show for free online. (I even skip the commercials by moving the little sliding bar thingy)

The classes do not have a lot more information then the book, but they do give accountability and a different way of learning- you get to listen to him talk on DVD and fill-in-the-blanks in your workbook as he talks (helps to remember it).

Back to Top View Jen L.'s Profile Search for other posts by Jen L.

SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 17 2007 at 8:05pm | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

You can get his books at the library, and they are very easy to read. That would be a great way to start without breaking the budget (which he would not want you to do!)

His books break down his system into very easy steps. He gives a lot of motivation to get financially sound. One thing he asks you to do is start an emergency fund of $1000, adding to it bit by bit until you get there. He also encourages you to work on a "cash" only system- putting cash into envelopes each month for your expenses (groceries, etc). Once the envelope is empty, you don't spend anymore in that are.

SQUILT Music Appreciation
Back to Top View SeaStar's Profile Search for other posts by SeaStar

Theresa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 17 2007 at 8:33pm | IP Logged Quote Theresa

We are doing Dave Ramsey's Financial Peace University right now through our church. There was a cost of around $94.00 for the kit and that included a book, workbook, cd's of all 13 classes and the envelope system.

Once a week we meet at church and watch the lessons on dvd and then throughout the week we can listen to the at home on the cd's that came through the kit.

I've learned the most about insurance, investing, retirement and college saving.

I don't know much about the monthly payment thing online but the kit was definitely worth the money!

Macmom
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 17 2007 at 9:04pm | IP Logged Quote Macmom

Dave Ramsey is about common sense. Act your wage (don't spend what you don't have). Be frugal and make each dollar count. Get out of debt and stay there. Slowly build your wealth, so you can be a blessing to others when you've finally got money to share. Mom should be able to stay home with the kids. (VERY pro-family!) And tithe. Whatever you have comes from God, so he gets his percent, too!

We LOVE him. Dh listens to his podcasts every day When he came to our state, we drove 3 hours to hear him live. Very inspiring.

(Financial) Peace,
Macmom
Back to Top View Macmom's Profile Search for other posts by Macmom Visit Macmom's Homepage

graciefaith
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 18 2007 at 9:23am | IP Logged Quote graciefaith

I'm interested. The only book available in our library is titled, Financial Peace. Is that a good one to start off with? Our church does a Financial Peace class 2x a year but with dh's schedule and the lack of a babysitter, we can never go. We REALLY need to get our finances in order and get out of debt!

graciefaith
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 18 2007 at 9:25am | IP Logged Quote graciefaith

The envelope idea is a good one!

We use cash only already. We had to get out of the habit of using credit cards or even debit cards.

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: July 18 2007 at 9:44am | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Ruth,
You can get the general idea of Dave Ramsey by reading one of his books, either Financial Peace or The Total Money Makeover, from the library. The ideas are *very* common sense in their approach, and set you up for success. Dave Ramsey would NOT want you paying for anything, even his class, if it were out of your means. You can make your own envelopes from regular envelopes. We love the Dave Ramsey plan, but it's just a guide - a good one - but in the end, it'll only work if you can stick with it. We seem to go through good periods and bad periods, but his plan and guide are good ones. I encourage you to look into them.

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

KerryK
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 19 2007 at 7:50am | IP Logged Quote KerryK

This thread has been a great reminder to me, as I had been meaning to check out Dave Ramsey's books. Interestingly, the library has many copies - and literally ALL were overdue or lost!! So yesterday I went out and used a Border's gift certificate to buy the "Total Money Makeover". I'll be starting it today!

Thanks everyone for helping to give me a little push with this!

Mary (6)
New baby Samuel 2/26/07!
and 9 angels in heaven

The Eyes of My Heart
Back to Top View KerryK's Profile Search for other posts by KerryK Visit KerryK's Homepage

mrsgranola
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 19 2007 at 9:09am | IP Logged Quote mrsgranola

I'm a big fan of Dave Ramsey now. We've been listening not quite a year to him on the radio and via podcasts. I signed up for the website b/c there was a special with the books, some CDs, etc. and it helps keep me going.

We finally shed our whole life ins. and used the accumulated money to pay down debt recently. It was so freeing! We are now starting to pay off dh's truck and hope to have it done by the end of the year.

I have some CDs which are compilations of radio shows on certain subjects that I'd be glad to share! I haven't seen the FPU materials but I'd love to do that one day.

JoAnna

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version