Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Exploring God's Creation in Nature and Science
 4Real Forums : Exploring God's Creation in Nature and Science
Subject Topic: Rock collection storage Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
CatholicMommy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: July 13 2007 at 8:36am | IP Logged Quote CatholicMommy

My son was given a ziploc bag full of rocks once collected by another boy years ago. Some of the rocks have glue on one spot where they were attached to some sort of chart, I presume. Most are just really cool rocks.

I would like to have some way for my son to store them, that he can still handle them. I'm thinking tackle box of some sort. My one question is about storing softer ones in something that might get shaken quite a bit. The softer ones did not survive the ziploc bag, but I imagine (with his already love of collecting rocks from outside the library) he will start finding some and want to save them.

Any ideas? Perhaps I line each area with felt? That seems like a lot of work, but perhaps if I get the boxes with adjustable sections, I can do them all at once and cut them out.... Any other ideas before I pursue that project, which will have to be this week
Back to Top View CatholicMommy's Profile Search for other posts by CatholicMommy Visit CatholicMommy's Homepage

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: July 13 2007 at 9:58am | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

I love the plastic tackle boxes. Most of them you can cut out one large piece of felt for the entire bottom, then slide in the dividers for the rocks. You could cut up a piece of cardstock into small sections so that your son could identify and keep a label with each rock in their compartment.   Sounds like a totally fun project to me! Also seems you might need a few tackle boxes to keep up with his passion!

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

Meredith
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 13 2007 at 11:14am | IP Logged Quote Meredith

I think tackle boxes are an excellent idea!! Love the felt lining too, superb!

Back to Top View Meredith's Profile Search for other posts by Meredith Visit Meredith's Homepage

CatholicMommy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 13 2007 at 3:04pm | IP Logged Quote CatholicMommy

After letting my son explore every single empty tackle box they had (all those latches! and hidden compartments! Forget the toy aisles!), we chose this one. Actually, ours is about 60% the size of the one shown, will hold all the small rocks we currently have; the 4 organizers can be used to sort 4 ways as he sees fit; the top compartment can hold any information cards, 3-part cards, etc. It's compact, but functional I think. I still have to line it quickly with the felt (I hope it's quick!), but I think this one's a winner.

It feels so great to finally get this stuff organized and have my son just as excited!

Edited to add: the one we purchased is $12.88.
Back to Top View CatholicMommy's Profile Search for other posts by CatholicMommy Visit CatholicMommy's Homepage

Meredith
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 13 2007 at 3:38pm | IP Logged Quote Meredith

That looks awesome!! Way to go, guess I'm going to WalMart this weekend too Congrats on a swell find and for sharing it here for us!

Back to Top View Meredith's Profile Search for other posts by Meredith Visit Meredith's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: July 13 2007 at 3:45pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

That tackle box is great - lots of storage in one area.

For something already around the house, we use egg cartons to store our still small rock collection. For smaller delicate specimens they put cotton in the egg cup.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 13 2007 at 4:04pm | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

Looks perfect!

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

CatholicMommy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 13 2007 at 10:12pm | IP Logged Quote CatholicMommy

I LOVE this box! It's all set up - my son helped glue the pieces of felt on the bottom and sides, slid in the dividers (also with pieces of felt glued) and OH SO CAREFULLY placed his rocks/stones inside. He then put each tray away (one is still empty) - only 6 rocks did not fit in the trays themselves, so they are in the top portion for now. That top portion actually has a lot more room than I originally thought - it's currently holding blank index cards and a pencil to start labelling when we're ready, 3 of the farm animals, 6 rocks, extra felt for another small box I want to get that will hold big rocks, and there's still space to spare.

It's just too cute. I never thought tackle boxes could be this cool - they are definitely growing on me.

Meredith
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 14 2007 at 11:47am | IP Logged Quote Meredith

I just love it when things like this turn out so much better than we expected!! God's providence for sure! I can't wait to make one of these up for my boys, they are going to love it!! Great Job! I'm pretty hip on tackle boxes myself

Meredith
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 23 2007 at 11:15am | IP Logged Quote Meredith

We're putting ours together today, I wanted to thank you again for such a great idea!

marcie
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 23 2007 at 11:49am | IP Logged Quote marcie

Tackle boxes are awesome! I use one to store sewing supplies that I can just take with me to sewing classes. My ds uses small lure boxes to store his Star Wars figures and accessories in. It never occured to me to use it for his rocks..............thanks!

CatholicMommy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 23 2007 at 12:24pm | IP Logged Quote CatholicMommy

I just got back from checking the mail - I had e-mailed the company that made the tackle box we bought(PlanoMolding). I wanted some extra dividers, since there were not enough to fill in every slot. We have some bigger rocks, but it's nice to have enough just in case, right? All I asked what if they sell additional dividers. They asked for my address and how many I wanted. They sent them out right away and I received them today - NO CHARGE (shipping was $1.30, plus the packaging and the pieces themselves...).

Yeah, I like this company! And now I like tackle boxes even more - not only do they have a wider variety (and nicer looker ones) than I thought, but at least this one is extremely sturdy and compact - and the company sends free extra dividers.

Meredith
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 23 2007 at 12:37pm | IP Logged Quote Meredith

That is awesome, I LOVE great customer service!!

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version