Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Language Arts Come Alive (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 4Real Forums : Language Arts Come Alive
Subject Topic: new at narration and a question Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Oney Jones
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Online Status: Offline
Posted: July 11 2007 at 3:20pm | IP Logged Quote Oney Jones

Well, new at "formal" narration I mean.   

Should I have a narration notebook for each of my two boys?

Here is my thought: If I ask for a written narration each one can write it in his own notebook that is specifically for narration. If I ask for an oral narration they can dictate it to me and I can write it in the appropriate notebook. If I assign on of the 49 ways to narrate listed in another post I can arrange for them to be added to the narration notebook either by pictures or adding pockets when conducive.

Back to Top View Oney Jones's Profile Search for other posts by Oney Jones

Oney Jones
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: July 11 2007 at 8:24pm | IP Logged Quote Oney Jones

anyone?   

Acorns to Oaks

Karen E.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 12 2007 at 6:36am | IP Logged Quote Karen E.

Hi, Oney,

Thanks for being patient.

Organizing narrations is an individual thing. Some people might file them by topic or subject, some might file all narrations together.

So, if a narration notebook for each of your boys sounds like the way to go, then, yes! It sounds as if you are already comfortable with the plan, and I think it makes sense.

I also think being comfortable with a plan makes us more likely to *use* that plan (as opposed to trying to fit things into someone else's idea of how something should work.)

So I would say, yes, go with the individual notebooks.

One other thought -- there are two ways you could handle storing/organizing their notebooks:

1. They could have spiral bound notebooks you pick up and use for every narration, and everything could stay in there.

2. Or, you could use such notebooks, but transfer the narrations to three-ring binders, using page protectors. The advantage to that option is being able to move things around easily, or to group narrations by topic, subject, etc.

Hope this helps!

Visit my blog, with its shockingly clever title, "Karen Edmisten."
Back to Top View Karen E.'s Profile Search for other posts by Karen E. Visit Karen E.'s Homepage

Maryan
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 12 2007 at 6:47am | IP Logged Quote Maryan

I'm new at it too -- I have followed the suggestion of several of the ladies here to: type as my child narrates, print it out, and use the 3-ring binder (I have a hole punch). I don't use page protectors. I like Karen's suggestion of moving things around by topic!

Back to Top View Maryan's Profile Search for other posts by Maryan

Oney Jones
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: July 12 2007 at 9:07am | IP Logged Quote Oney Jones

Karen E. wrote:

(Working on it!!)   

Thank you for the suggestions. I'll have to think about this some more. I hadn't entertained the thought of being able to move the pages around by subject. Hm...

Karen E.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 12 2007 at 10:00am | IP Logged Quote Karen E.

Oney Jones wrote:
[QUOTE=Karen E.]

(Working on it!!)   

I hope you know I meant that "patience" comment sincerely! I wasn't being facetious. I really do think it's charitable and patient when people re-post a question, or ask others to please jump in. Now that I look more closely at your post times and see they were both on the same day, I'm afraid you might think I was being sarcastic. Not at all! Sorry if I made you feel that way!

Thanks for asking -- these kinds of questions always help other people, too!

Back to Top View Karen E.'s Profile Search for other posts by Karen E. Visit Karen E.'s Homepage

Martha
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 12 2007 at 10:52am | IP Logged Quote Martha

Oney Jones wrote:

Thank you for the suggestions. I'll have to think about this some more. I hadn't entertained the thought of being able to move the pages around by subject. Hm...

My kids all have one spiral with perforated pages. All writing is done in this spiral, math, language arts, history, science, whatever.

However, every week we go through and take the best writings and set them aside in a folder. Sometimes we tweak them a bit to make them even better, sometimes not. Doing this, we can really see how they've improved over time. It's amazing the difference and pride they take in looking at that first week compared to the work near the end of the year. This also allows us to remember the range of subjects learned in one period of time in one location. When they want to show the grandparents what they've learned, this is the folder they pull out.

Back to Top View Martha's Profile Search for other posts by Martha Visit Martha's Homepage

Oney Jones
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: July 12 2007 at 3:02pm | IP Logged Quote Oney Jones

Not at all Karen!   I appreciate your advice so much! I was getting a little antsy when there wasn't a reply wondering if I had asked one of those FAQ's that veteran board members roll their eyes at while shaking their heads and thinking, "geeze louise, that's only been asked a million times...doesn't anyone read the FAQ's???"

Martha, I like your idea too. I can see how that would be very helpful.

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: July 12 2007 at 7:14pm | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

Oney Jones wrote:
I was getting a little antsy when there wasn't a reply wondering if I had asked one of those FAQ's that veteran board members roll their eyes at while shanking their heads and thinking, "geeze louise, that's only been asked a million times...doesn't anyone read the FAQ's???"

Oh Oney, THAT'S funny! So glad to have you here.

(BTW, one of the reasons members stay here is because we never tire of the subject matter or of sharing experiences. There is always so much to learn!)

Love,

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

Oney Jones
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: July 12 2007 at 10:09pm | IP Logged Quote Oney Jones

Angie Mc wrote:

(BTW, one of the reasons members stay here is because we never tire of the subject matter or of sharing experiences. There is always so much to learn!)

Love,

Good...cuz I'm sure I'll have plenty of questions as we begin our first year of Ambleside Online. :) Thanks for the warm welcome!

Karen E.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 12 2007 at 11:06pm | IP Logged Quote Karen E.

Angie Mc wrote:

Ditto to that!

Sorry, you cannot post a reply to this topic.
This forum has been locked by a forum administrator.

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version