Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Mothering and Family Life
 4Real Forums : Mothering and Family Life
Subject Topic: Snacking between meals Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Hallie
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Online Status: Offline
Posted: July 05 2007 at 9:38pm | IP Logged Quote Hallie

I have a two year old and a three year old boy that seem to eat constantly! Occasionally they will eat a good breakfast, lunch, or dinner but usually they will eat a few bites and be done with it only to request a snack 30 minutes later. I have heard it suggested that I should cover the meal they didn't finish and insist that they eat that if they get hungry soon after a meal. I do this from time to time but they still just eat a small amount in a sitting and then want more within the hour. The hourly snack prep is driving me crazy! I have also heard that I should insist that they eat a good breakfast (or lunch or dinner) and if they don't refuse to give them anything else until the next meal. I guess the idea is that their hunger will quickly teach them that they should eat well at mealtime. That seems excessive. No? Maybe I'm just being too soft. Or is it is normal (given their still small tummies) for young boys to eat lots of small meals. Maybe I just need to buck up! I look forward to getting input from those who have gone before.

Thanks so much!

http://hallie.wordpress.com/
Back to Top View Hallie's Profile Search for other posts by Hallie Visit Hallie's Homepage

ALmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 05 2007 at 10:12pm | IP Logged Quote ALmom

I think it is pretty normal for toddlers as you describe to just nibble all day. I find that the best solution is one that transitions the toddlers gently to a more regular schedule but not being brutal about it. Yet, you also have to recognize the needs of all. I have 6 and cannot be in the kitchen from morning to night just fixing and cleaning up after snacks.

I try to have a regular mealtimes and snack times (sometimes more successfully than others). With real young ones, perhaps 2 set snack times per day would be in order.

I guess I do always wrap up an uneaten meal, and warm it for snack when the snack is requested. I also do not feel I have to be at beck and call. Since we do generally have regular mealtimes and snacktimes, I don't feel as if I have to jump instantly at the snack request. They will generally have to wait some outside of regular times as I have to finish work with another child or some other task I'm in the middle of. I generally do not refuse to give a snack unless it is requested right before a regular meal/snack time. In this case, I simply point out that it is almost time for ... and then enlist them to help me set the table or round up other children. for ... A child's unfinished food is first to be used for unscheduled snacks. This prevents the child from developing habits of refusing less "desirable" foods and holding out for snacks but is also easiest due to no new plates to dirty, etc. When this is gone and snacks are still requested, I might say something to the effect of sure, you may eat an apple, but you must do it on the porch. I can see the child on the porch from my kitchen and I don't then have any extra cleanup. Gradually the child learns to wait for the meals/scheduled snacks as the wait time is gradually stretched by normal life. (I cannot say I plan it this way, life just happens this way).

Your stress at the snacking indicates there is something of the pull of life that makes it difficult. It is a perfect moment to gently teach a child about patience/waiting. If they seem particularly hungry and not just bored or looking for your attention, you can certainly make it a short wait so they are successful at this new idea.

Janet
Back to Top View ALmom's Profile Search for other posts by ALmom

Hallie
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: July 05 2007 at 10:38pm | IP Logged Quote Hallie

Thanks, Janet. That helps a lot!

Back to Top View Hallie's Profile Search for other posts by Hallie Visit Hallie's Homepage

Caroline
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 05 2007 at 11:04pm | IP Logged Quote Caroline

I have a similar issue with my 3 year old also. If he doesn't eat a great breakfast I will give him his lunch earlier. If he requests a snack between lunch and dinner, then I choose the snack. It's often baby carrots or an apple. If he doesn't want that, then I figure he's not really hungry and he can wait until dinner. I have no problem with snacking on fruits/veggies between meals (he's only allowed water between meals too).

snowbabiesmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 06 2007 at 10:19pm | IP Logged Quote snowbabiesmom

In our house, we have a set snack time.. we snack at 10am and at 3:30 pm. We only have one snack (not eat as much as you can)at snack time...a banana, a yogurt, whatever and then we eat our three meals together. We only have dessert on the weekends.. In my house you'll hear the littles saying "Is it dessert night?" We also only give milk with dinner so it takes longer for little tummys to digest.. ( no bed wetting)...not much, but it works for us.
Emily
Mommy to 10,7,4,2,5mth
Back to Top View snowbabiesmom's Profile Search for other posts by snowbabiesmom Visit snowbabiesmom's Homepage

JenniferS
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 07 2007 at 1:20pm | IP Logged Quote JenniferS

I have a couple of boys just like your's. I have implemented a rule(I think it was a suggestion from someone on this board) that the kitchen is closed for two hours after each meal. That has helped some. My five year old is the worst. He can eat a really great meal and five minutes after he is excused from the table, he is hungry. It is crazy!

Jen
Back to Top View JenniferS's Profile Search for other posts by JenniferS

Hallie
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: July 09 2007 at 11:18am | IP Logged Quote Hallie

Thank you guys so much! I have already implemented several of your tips and improvement is being made! :):):)

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: July 10 2007 at 12:18pm | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

Hallie, you sound like you are doing great with your little ones! As they grow and change, they will be able to help more and more...something to look forward to.

Because I have hypoglycemic tendencies, I see the value of snacking and of eating when hungry. Our family has a variety of body types and needs so it really is a challenge to meet them in a doable (for mom) way. Currently (and our routine changes seasonally) is:

Wake Self-serve wake/bed snack - granola bar, 10 nuts, fruit, milk/yogurt
9:00 Family breakfast - whole grain (crock grains, toast, muesli)
1:00 Family lunch - large meal
5:00 Salad
8:00 Light dinner
Bed   Self-serve wake/bed snack

Self-serve throughout the day: carrot sticks, bowled fruit, granola bar, etc.

Our 2yo eats well and what/when he eats varies throughout the day. The key for me is to have healthy foods available for self-serve, to keep my kitchen time efficient and effective, and to train the children to clean up after themselves. This is tough and serious work for sure!

Hang in there and please share what you find works for your family. Sometimes the smallest and simplest changes can bring such relief...but they are so easily overlooked.

Love,

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version