Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady of Good Remedy and Care
 4Real Forums : Our Lady of Good Remedy and Care
Subject Topic: How much Red Raspberry Leaf? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
teachingmyown
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: July 03 2007 at 2:26pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmyown

Can anyone give me an idea, or a source to find out, of how much Red Raspberry Leaf is recommended during pregnancy?

My prenatal vitamin has some but I was wondering if I should be taking more. At only 17 weeks, I have constant uterine cramping.

Thanks.

Remembering Today
Back to Top View teachingmyown's Profile Search for other posts by teachingmyown Visit teachingmyown's Homepage

Lisbet
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 03 2007 at 2:36pm | IP Logged Quote Lisbet

Molly,

I make my own pregnancy blend tea and I use RRL very liberally. I couldn't give you exact amounts, but I've never had an issue with it. There are two different schools of thought on this, one is not to use it if you have history of miscarriage or uterine cramping, the other is that it is good to use if you have a history of miscarriage and uterine cramping.
Personally I use it in generous amounts even with my history of miscarriage and the nearly constant uterine cramping from the second trimester on. I think uterine cramping is part and parcel to us grandmultips, and our uterus needs toning more than women with less children.

Abby, 15
Gabe, 13
Isaac, 11
Mary, 10
Sam, 9
Henry, 7
Molly, 6
Mark, 5
Greta, 3
Cecilia born 10.29.10
Josephine born 6.11.12
Back to Top View Lisbet's Profile Search for other posts by Lisbet

MicheleQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 03 2007 at 5:32pm | IP Logged Quote MicheleQ

Lisbet wrote:
Personally I use it in generous amounts even with my history of miscarriage and the nearly constant uterine cramping from the second trimester on. I think uterine cramping is part and parcel to us grandmultips, and our uterus needs toning more than women with less children.

Same experience here. The RRL is the ONLY thing that helps my uterine cramping in the later trimesters. I don't measure I just use it liberally (I take the capsules). My favorite OB (now retired ) recommended it to me some 12 years ago and I have used it ever since.

Back to Top View MicheleQ's Profile Search for other posts by MicheleQ Visit MicheleQ's Homepage

teachingmyown
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 03 2007 at 7:25pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmyown

Any brand recommendation?

Remembering Today
Back to Top View teachingmyown's Profile Search for other posts by teachingmyown Visit teachingmyown's Homepage

Bookswithtea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 04 2007 at 8:12am | IP Logged Quote Bookswithtea

Are the capsules as effective? My doula wants me to make the infusion tea...a quart daily, and I just can't seem to like it, no matter how much I try! I think I might be infusing it too long (overnight), but then I wonder, how weak can I make it and still get the good properties out of it?

My doula says they have seen great success in shortening labors with grandmultips that have gotten out of control by faithfully using the tea (which, btw, includes nettles and oatstraw). My sil just had her 6th and shockingly, was in labor for 48 hrs! I'm scared.

A dear friend recommends this site for bulk tea.

http://www.wildernessfamilynaturals.com/Merchant2/merchant.m vc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=TEPREG&Category_Code=

~Books

mothering ds'93 dd'97 dd'99 dd'02 ds'05 ds'07 and due 9/10
Back to Top View Bookswithtea's Profile Search for other posts by Bookswithtea

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 04 2007 at 8:22am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Bookswithtea wrote:
My doula says they have seen great success in shortening labors with grandmultips that have gotten out of control by faithfully using the tea (which, btw, includes nettles and oatstraw). My sil just had her 6th and shockingly, was in labor for 48 hrs! I'm scared.

My mother, who had seven, had a similar problem. Wish she had known about raspberry.

Now, at what point in pregnancy does one start taking it? And what if you're a certain c/s and not allowed to have contractions? Will raspberry cause contractions?

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

chicken lady
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 04 2007 at 8:59am | IP Logged Quote chicken lady

My midwife suggest drinking a quart a day to strengthen and tighten this uterus.   If I knew I was going to be having a section I might stop drinking it during the last trimester. Then again I am not a doctor I (as I pointed out before) just play one on the computer. I am an Herbalist however and this is what "I" would do.

As for the infusion, over night, I think that might be bit strong for my taste, I would and do take a handful of the leaves and make myself a nice strong pot of tea!
Back to Top View chicken lady's Profile Search for other posts by chicken lady Visit chicken lady's Homepage

Lisbet
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 04 2007 at 9:55am | IP Logged Quote Lisbet

Jenn, RRL will not cause contractions, but in all reality, to say one's uterus is not 'allowed' to contract is next to impossible, wether you feel it or not, your uterus will contract during the second and third trimesters. I don't think RRL will

Books, I steep my pregnancy blend 2-4 hours, depending on what I'm doing and how soon I need it. Overnight seems way too long to me. To enhance the flavor a bit try adding some kind of mint (which also aids in digestion.) I'm currently adding Lemon Balm and it's delish! A squeeze of lemon adds a nice taste too. Play around with it a bit and find what works for you. If you don't like it, therefore you don't drink it, it won't do a bit of good! :) I buy my herbs in bulk from our local health food store or rosemountainherbs.com

Just one last thing, I have been a faithful RRL mama for over 10 years now, drinking it freely before during and after pregnancy in various blends for the different seasons of childbearing, and, I still tend to have the sluggish labors of a grandmultip. My 7th was a 44 hour labor. (a very intense 44 hours to boot!) I can't imagine how hard it would be without the herbal support.

Abby, 15
Gabe, 13
Isaac, 11
Mary, 10
Sam, 9
Henry, 7
Molly, 6
Mark, 5
Greta, 3
Cecilia born 10.29.10
Josephine born 6.11.12

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 04 2007 at 10:59am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Lisbet wrote:
Jenn, RRL will not cause contractions, but in all reality, to say one's uterus is not 'allowed' to contract is next to impossible, wether you feel it or not, your uterus will contract during the second and third trimesters. I don't think RRL will

I used the wrong terms...I meant "go into labor".

So is it okay to use RRL throughout all trimesters?

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Lisbet
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 04 2007 at 11:04am | IP Logged Quote Lisbet

Jenn, sorry, I got cut off while typing that first paragraph and was in a hurry when I returned. I didn't mean to sound so curt.

I'm of the opinion that it will not cause you to go into labor, and that it is safe during all trimesters.

Abby, 15
Gabe, 13
Isaac, 11
Mary, 10
Sam, 9
Henry, 7
Molly, 6
Mark, 5
Greta, 3
Cecilia born 10.29.10
Josephine born 6.11.12

MicheleQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 04 2007 at 11:35am | IP Logged Quote MicheleQ

teachingmyown wrote:
Any brand recommendation?

I use Nature's Way

Bookswithtea wrote:
Are the capsules as effective?

I think they are more effective. In part because I find it much easier to take them than to drink the tea. I am a tea drinker - but I do not like the taste of RRL tea.

I also use them during my monthly cycle. I would not be able to leave my house if I didn't.

I have found taking them with a glass of very warm water works well. Like making tea in my tummy.

Quote:

My last 2 labors have been intense but fast. I DO think the RRL helped. I take it from the 2nd trimester on. I don't take it in the first because I usually don't need it until later and everything makes me nauseas so I avoid whatever I can.

My uterine cramps were so bad this last time I couldn't go anywhere without ending up in a lot of pain. The RRL helped tremendously!

Lisbet wrote:
I'm of the opinion that it will not cause you to go into labor, and that it is safe during all trimesters.

I would have to agree. My OB recommended it to me the pregnancy after I had had a miscarriage. I don't think he would have done that if there was a risk.

God bless,

Back to Top View MicheleQ's Profile Search for other posts by MicheleQ Visit MicheleQ's Homepage

Rebecca
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 04 2007 at 12:03pm | IP Logged Quote Rebecca

I was told by my midwife years ago to drink one cup of RR leaf tea each day in the first trimester, two in the second and three in the third. Not sure if that is still the recommendation for today but it works for me!
Back to Top View Rebecca's Profile Search for other posts by Rebecca

Zeliemum
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 18 2007 at 6:46am | IP Logged Quote Zeliemum

If you are going in for a c/s would RRL be worth taking and why?

Just wondering.
C

Lisbet
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 18 2007 at 7:01am | IP Logged Quote Lisbet

Yes, either way you want your uterus to be fit and tone! :)

Abby, 15
Gabe, 13
Isaac, 11
Mary, 10
Sam, 9
Henry, 7
Molly, 6
Mark, 5
Greta, 3
Cecilia born 10.29.10
Josephine born 6.11.12

doris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 18 2007 at 12:30pm | IP Logged Quote doris

This is a revelation to me! I have been told very firmly that RRL should only be taken from about 35 weeks because of the risk of m/c.

I took it -- just, holding my nose, because I found it so yucky! -- during my last two pregnancies. I did have a 2.25 hr labour, and a 4 hr labour, so I suppose I'll give it a go again...

Angel
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 18 2007 at 2:32pm | IP Logged Quote Angel

Thanks for the opinions about raspberry tea and C-sections. Looks like I'll be having a scheduled C-section in 5-6 weeks and these B/H contractions are really strong this time.

Just to confirm, when you talk about uterine cramping... do you mean something different than Braxton-Hicks or...?

--Angela
Three Plus Two
Back to Top View Angel's Profile Search for other posts by Angel Visit Angel's Homepage

Angela F
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 19 2007 at 9:38pm | IP Logged Quote Angela F

For what it's worth, I drank the Third Trimester Tea from Earth Mama Angel Baby for just the last 3-4 weeks with John Paul - he's number 6! It was my first time ever drinking RRL tea. The nurses were pleasantly surprised at how quickly my uterus shrank back downward back to where it's supposed to be. The last two or three babies I had nurses in squishing on my tummy and that hurt! Not necessary at all this time! And I don't remember the afterpains/contractions being so intense this time either. So I highly recommend the RRL. And it didn't send me into early labor - much as I'd have liked it to at the time!
God bless,
Angela

Back to Top View Angela F's Profile Search for other posts by Angela F

mary theresa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 03 2007 at 12:26pm | IP Logged Quote mary theresa

So, if I was going to make Sun Tea from fresh wild Rasp leaves, how long would I have to steep them? Is is supposed to look like apple juice or darker? I'm going to make a half gallon. Is there a min. of how much leaves to steep in that much water? Do I have to add anything else to the tea?
And, is there stuff to add that makes it taste better?

I've winged it before, but I wondered if it matters?

TIA! Sorry for all the questions!

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 03 2007 at 8:45pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

from what I understand from a midwife friend.. the RRL helps the uterus do it's job.. so it may help a miscarriage along if one is happening.. but it won't cause a miscarriage.. and it will help through out the pregnancy..

And as far as labors go.. my longest was in the 36 hr time frame.. but all but the last couple of hours was find something else to do to keep from going stir crazy light contractions.. but they were still working.

And my #7 beat the midwife here.. went from fairly normal couple of hours of unsettled labor into serious labor into have the baby in 45 minutes labor (She was born 3 hours from when contractions started.. 3 hours faster than any of my others).. so... can't prove the more pregnancy = longer labor each time by me

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version