Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: Tennessee anyone? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
NachoMama
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Online Status: Offline
Posted: June 30 2007 at 11:06am | IP Logged Quote NachoMama

So I'm moving to Tennessee, around the Cookeville area, and wondered if anyone here lives in the area or has info or tips? Anyone know if the parish there does Adoration? (If they do, it isn't listed on Real Presence.org but then, neither is my current parish which does.)

Thanks in advance!
Back to Top View NachoMama's Profile Search for other posts by NachoMama

Philothea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 30 2007 at 4:38pm | IP Logged Quote Philothea

NachoMama? THE NachoMama? MY NachoMama?

PM incoming ...
Back to Top View Philothea's Profile Search for other posts by Philothea

NachoMama
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: June 30 2007 at 9:51pm | IP Logged Quote NachoMama

Yeah girl, the one and only! LOL... Pm'ing you back.

Philothea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 30 2007 at 10:17pm | IP Logged Quote Philothea

More on topic, have you tried Masstimes.org? IIRC, they have Adoration times listed in my Diocese, I don't know if that would be the same for every area or not. I'm sorry I can't help you more specifically, when we looked into moving to Tennessee it was before we were Catholic.

I know it is the Bible Belt (maybe it should be called the "Bible-taken-out-of-context Belt!") and you will no doubt encounter the usual "Catholics are going to burn" types, but you're used to that.      

Tennessee is gorgeous though, and the housing prices ridiculously low ... I'm fighting the green eyed monster over here!
Back to Top View Philothea's Profile Search for other posts by Philothea

NachoMama
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: June 30 2007 at 11:29pm | IP Logged Quote NachoMama

Philothea wrote:
More on topic, have you tried Masstimes.org? IIRC, they have Adoration times listed in my Diocese, I don't know if that would be the same for every area or not. I'm sorry I can't help you more specifically, when we looked into moving to Tennessee it was before we were Catholic.

I know it is the Bible Belt (maybe it should be called the "Bible-taken-out-of-context Belt!") and you will no doubt encounter the usual "Catholics are going to burn" types, but you're used to that.      

Tennessee is gorgeous though, and the housing prices ridiculously low ... I'm fighting the green eyed monster over here!

Thanks, I'm trying that link you sent me. Also, you are right... Bible-taken-out-of-context(-and-hacked-up)-Belt indeed. Yes, thanks to LLL, I'm used to that. Tennessee IS gorgeous... and yeah, housing is looking nice. I have heard Virginia is gorgeous too... but I guess it's that housing thing huh?

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 01 2007 at 1:11pm | IP Logged Quote Mary G

How far will you be from Nashville? The Motherhouse of Dominican Sisters of St. Cecilia is there and definitely doing some great work in the area.

And please remember that not all Protestants in the South bash the Catholics -- many respect what we're trying to do; lots of homeschoolers you might be able to work with.

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

NachoMama
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: July 01 2007 at 1:47pm | IP Logged Quote NachoMama

Thanks Mary! I'm to be about an hour from Nashville... I sure appreciate the link. No, you are right... not all Protestants in the South bash Catholics. Having grown up there as a Protestant, I guess I'm more sensitive to what many believe and don't say kwim? Absolutely, I should be able to work with the hsers there. I'm the only Catholic hser here at the moment and have had no real problems. The problems of which I am 'used to' to which Philothea referred were from another hs forum where there are some rather vocal anti-Catholics.

Thanks again!

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 01 2007 at 6:29pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

I can't remember her user name, but the mom who does Adventures in Bodenburg lives in TN. I would try writing her...although she's a little out of commission right now.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Kristen in TN
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 02 2007 at 2:26am | IP Logged Quote Kristen in TN

Hi NachoMama. Yes, my van with a TN liscense plate has written in the dirt on the back window, "aurthor of Adventures in Bodenburg." Also, please excuse any typos. It is after 2 am and i cannot sleep due to tooth pain and I am on codine. Ouch.

I do not know much about Cookville. I do know that down here in no-mans land the Catholics are few and far between and everyone is related to everyone. Our parish, with a school attached, has adoration once a month on first fridays.   However, I can drive about 15 minutes more and be at a parish that has adoration once a week on Wednesdays, but I don't think this week because 4th of july is more important. (sigh!)

If you are in the doicese of Nashville, which I think you are, we are very hopeful. We have a relatively new bishop and everytime we have had an encounter with him, we come away full of hope. Rumor has it that he is bringing all the good priests in around him after just the opposite was done for many years. He has a few priests in training for the Trinitine and Byzantine Masses. HE is a very humble and holy person.

If you ever want to get together, feel free to contact me. We love day trips and as a matter of fact are scheduled to go on one to Fall Creek Falls state park this coming week. We might have to postpone it due to tooth complications (due to have oral surgury on Tuesday), but that is in your direction. In other words, we can meet you halfway somewhere. (There are several people on these boards who know me and know that I am not usually this flaky!)

There seems to be a cluster of homeschoolers in Nashville, but I haven't met too many of them. We are in between Nashville and Huntsville, AL, so we group with them down south more. We have homeschoolers about 1/2 hour away from us in most directions.

I really wish I could be more help, but I have not lived here all that long myself. TN is certainly beautiful and I keep praying for more Catholics, especially homeschoolers to move here.

God bless,
Kristen in TN
Back to Top View Kristen in TN's Profile Search for other posts by Kristen in TN Visit Kristen in TN's Homepage

Kristen in TN
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 02 2007 at 2:30am | IP Logged Quote Kristen in TN

One more thing, I have really not run across any anti-Catholic people here. Perhaps the other homeschoolers are just being polite? I have heard of some incidents, though more way back when stuff.

I do eat all natural and get along really well with the woman in the health food store. She is 7th Day Adventist. When I told her I was Catholic, she just looked shocked and her jaw dropped. She finally said, "Well, well, I still like talking to you." LOL!! She does continue to talk to me and even hugged me when she found out we lost our last baby.

I'm just hoping that we are really good examples of Catholocism. That is really my prayer for living here. And, did I mention that we moved here from Front Royal, VA. Sometimes I really wonder what we were thinking, but it really did seem to be God's will at the time.

God bless,
Kristen in TN
Back to Top View Kristen in TN's Profile Search for other posts by Kristen in TN Visit Kristen in TN's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version