Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Nurturing the Years of Wonder
 4Real Forums : Nurturing the Years of Wonder
Subject Topic: Science Trays for 6-12 Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Meredith
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: June 25 2007 at 11:24am | IP Logged Quote Meredith

Katie wrote:
I have always thought that it would be fun to set up science experiments for the older kids in the way we might do a practical life tray for a little one. Set up all that is needed, along with written instructions and a place to record hypothesis, results and conclusions.

OK, let's share what would be interesting and fun for this older age group. My first thought is the Microscope with a few different slides each day depending upon area of study at the moment, for example:

Insects/Spiders and have a few slides with either the whole specimen or part of one , then a notebook page for them to draw what they see and record their discoveries. An extension of course would be further research of the desired specimen and adding in either "make-their-own" nomenclature cards (kind of like their own field guides) for the specimen.

Just my first random thoughts here, add what you can when you think of something!!

Back to Top View Meredith's Profile Search for other posts by Meredith Visit Meredith's Homepage

earthmaven
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: June 25 2007 at 11:52am | IP Logged Quote earthmaven

My daughter is a huge fan of using well slides (we get them on-line at a great price from American Science and Surplus) to examine pond water samples at different times of year, drawing what she sees/consulting field guides, etc. It's a nice follow-up activity to nature hikes.
Back to Top View earthmaven's Profile Search for other posts by earthmaven

earthmaven
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: June 25 2007 at 1:01pm | IP Logged Quote earthmaven

We have been working on a great collection of science/science experiment books. One of my favourites for ideas is How Nature Works: 100 Ways Parents and Kids Can Share the Secrets of Nature, by David Burne. It's fascinating, with chapters on Looking at Life, The World of Plants and Fungi, Life in Water, Insects and other Invertebrates, Birds, Reptiles, and Mammals.

It's a Reader's Digest book designed and edited by DK (we love them). It's out of print, but there were lots of them via Amazon's marketplace for about $5, and most libraries are likely to carry it. One of the things I love about this book, in addition to its comprehensive content and the cool experiments, is that each section includes profiles of scientists who were influential in their respective fields: Carolus Linnaeus, Alexander Fleming, Gregor Mendel, Ivan Pavlov...a great springboard for further study and discussion.

Some sample topics/experiments:

1. Growing ferns from spores collected on fronds
2. How wings work
3. How bees find food
3. Photosynthesis
4. Making a rocky shore aquarium
5. Tracking snails to understand behavior
6. Making a nest box

I could go on and on, but seriously, this is one amazing book. Practically a one-stop shop of things to take us through the seasons!
Back to Top View earthmaven's Profile Search for other posts by earthmaven

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 25 2007 at 3:30pm | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

Oh, I have TONS of ideas for this, as this is just exactly what I do for my 11 yo ds.
But, right now we are headed off to Chiniak bay to explore the tide pools, so I will have to come back this eve to answer.

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

AndreaG
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: June 27 2007 at 8:02am | IP Logged Quote AndreaG

My plan for science trays is to use the Usborne Science Activity books, and set out a tray with the book open to a page and all the materials and a sheet to write up the hypothesis and results available. I have the bags of science supplies that Sonlight sells to go with these books so hopefully this will be doable for me!
I really like the microscope idea too!

Back to Top View AndreaG's Profile Search for other posts by AndreaG

Donna Marie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 27 2007 at 8:15am | IP Logged Quote Donna Marie

Just an FYI,
Usborne has a Microscope Book too! This thing is internet-linked to some wonderful sites....meaning you can visit sites that have to do with what you are reading to put some of the concepts learned to the test. I plan on using this, a nice microscope and slides that I got (get this!) for FREE from a garage sale. In addition, I also have 3 part cards of a microscope...reflecting and refracting which I THINK I got from the yahoo mshare group.

God love you!
Donna Marie from NJ
hs momma to 7dc

Finding Elegant Simplicity
Back to Top View Donna Marie's Profile Search for other posts by Donna Marie Visit Donna Marie's Homepage

Meredith
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 27 2007 at 10:08am | IP Logged Quote Meredith

Donna Marie wrote:
Just an FYI,
Usborne has a Microscope Book too! This thing is internet-linked to some wonderful sites....meaning you can visit sites that have to do with what you are reading to put some of the concepts learned to the test.

In addition, I also have 3 part cards of a microscope...reflecting and refracting which I THINK I got from the yahoo mshare group.

Yes, we have a wonderful Usborne Microscope book that camewith my ds's microscope (I think from the Discovery store) and I could make three part cards for some of the ideas in it! I love the idea of the *microscope* in three-part cards, hmm...

Back to Top View Meredith's Profile Search for other posts by Meredith Visit Meredith's Homepage

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: June 27 2007 at 12:04pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

For those of you with olders and littles - are you setting up your science area down low enough for the little people to reach. I was thinking of setting up a basic science type basket for my 2yo...a little basket with a kaleidoscope, maybe a basket with the life cycle of the butterfly and the butterfly book. Anyway, I started thinking, maybe I should set up a younger science zone just for the 2 1/2 yo to happily investigate with his curious little fingers, and then set up the older children's science center up higher, above the Montessori shelves, on the book shelves and out of reach.

Any thoughts?

Are any of you setting up a science basket for your littles? I'd love to hear what you're doing and how you're organizing.

You should see my learning room - IT'S A WRECK! Prayers for fortitude would be appreciated cause right about now, I just want to grab a cup of tea and try to pretend that its all done!

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

Katie
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: June 27 2007 at 7:55pm | IP Logged Quote Katie

If your littles are not putting things in their mouths, a big magnet and some magenetic chips are a great exploration activity. My dd would "play" for a long time with these. Discount School Supply sells a "magnet discovery tray" - basically it is 12 wells in a wooden tray which you fill with various objects, then screw on a see-through acrylic lid. Younger kids can safely see what attracts to a magnet and what doesn't without the choking hazard. Here's a link: Magnetic Discovery Board Maybe if you or dh are handy you could make something like this? Another project!!

Orinetal Trading has lifecycle models of frog and butterfly for under $5.95 for both. Lifecycle Set

Remember that science for the littles is really covered by playing with water, watching things roll and bounce, and getting their hands into anything they can.    

KackyK
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 27 2007 at 8:19pm | IP Logged Quote KackyK

I think 3yolds, maybe some "with-it" 2yolds would enjoy the magnifying glass. Our tray had the magnifying glass, and items to look at included coins, small pieces of newsprint with different fonts, shells, rocks and from this incredibly cool nature company, Acorn Naturalist, I had purchased a few tree rounds. The kids loved to look at the rings, and for the older guys, it was fun to count the rings too. I plan on setting this one up again...I need to find some new items!

I second the magnet tray too!

Mom to 8 - 3 dd, 5ds & 4 babes in heaven

Beginning With the Assumption
Back to Top View KackyK's Profile Search for other posts by KackyK Visit KackyK's Homepage

Donna Marie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 27 2007 at 9:04pm | IP Logged Quote Donna Marie

Katie wrote:
If your littles are not putting things in their mouths, a big magnet and some magenetic chips are a great exploration activity. My dd would "play" for a long time with these. Discount School Supply sells a "magnet discovery tray" - basically it is 12 wells in a wooden tray which you fill with various objects, then screw on a see-through acrylic lid.   

I remember making something like this a ways back. It was a stronger magnet tied around the neck of a 2liter bottle filled with interesting objects that could be rolled around. The magnetic ones would stick to the side with the magnet. We did quite a few soda bottle experiments....if anyone is interested I will find some of the ideas...I wrote it down...somewhere....

I am re-doing my files and lost in paper land...

God love you,
Donna Marie from NJ
hs momma to 7dc

Finding Elegant Simplicity
Back to Top View Donna Marie's Profile Search for other posts by Donna Marie Visit Donna Marie's Homepage

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: June 27 2007 at 9:06pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Thank you so much for the ideas guys. I agree that most learning for the littles is best done in an informal way, but as you know, they want to be involved in the learning times of the day. And I want to provide some activities down low for him to access. I do have a few plastic life cycles that I think would be good, and they coordinate really well with my favorite science books for little guys. I don't have a problem with him putting things in his mouth anymore. I might check out the magnets - they sound really neat. I'm going to set out a few basic "toob" animals and 3 part cards for him to match up. I'm sure I can think of a few others. The simpler the better here I think.

Kacky - that is an awesome link to Acorn Naturalist! I've never seen it before - I'm such a big SUCKER for neat nature sites. More to go on my wish lists! Thanks for the heads-up!

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: June 27 2007 at 9:10pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Oh you were posting at the same time I was Donna Marie. I'd love some of your notes when you find them! I was visiting your blog today - it was wonderful as ever. I loved this post on controlling my control issues. Much great food for thought!

I did want to apologize for hijacking this thread - back to science trays for 6-12ers!    Sorry!

Meredith
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 27 2007 at 9:30pm | IP Logged Quote Meredith

Hardly, we're all getting great ideas for our little *dumpers* here, thank you for asking about it Jennifer, I am in the process of trying to find out just *what* my littlest will actually sit for.    

Blessings!

Meredith
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 26 2007 at 10:22am | IP Logged Quote Meredith

earthmaven wrote:
We have been working on a great collection of science/science experiment books. One of my favourites for ideas is How Nature Works: 100 Ways Parents and Kids Can Share the Secrets of Nature, by David Burne. It's fascinating, with chapters on Looking at Life, The World of Plants and Fungi, Life in Water, Insects and other Invertebrates, Birds, Reptiles, and Mammals.

It's a Reader's Digest book designed and edited by DK (we love them).

Just bumping this thread up a bit as we get closer to starting back up for the Fall!

I have to reitterate as well how nice this book is! We used this last year for my dd's biology and we just kept checking it out and re-checking it at the library I'm pretty sure we'll go ahead and buy it! You could do several year's worth of science trays on this one book, IMHO    

Kathryn UK
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 26 2007 at 12:47pm | IP Logged Quote Kathryn UK

I have used Home Science Adventures kits in the past, and I think they could easily be used for science trays. Each kit has all the items required for all the experiments; they are not bulky and the entire contents would fit on a tray, or in a basket. There is a set of worksheets which explain how to do each experiment and give space to record the results. Some experiments need to be worked in order but others don't, and you could mark this up on the worksheets as necessary. We used the magnetism and microscopic explorations kits, and either could have been used this way.

Back to Top View Kathryn UK's Profile Search for other posts by Kathryn UK

Meredith
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 26 2007 at 1:30pm | IP Logged Quote Meredith

That sounds great Kathryn! Thanks for mentioning these here! It's nice not to have to reinvent the wheel each time

Blessings!

montessori_lori
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 26 2007 at 2:04pm | IP Logged Quote montessori_lori

I had some science concepts trays that were really popular in 6-9 (these really just taught basic science skills, but they're a good start):

3 jars with instructions to fill one with cold water, one warm, and one hot (they'll need a little help with that one), and three thermometers to record temps in F & C.

Two bowls of rice and measuring cups/spoons, with instructions to scoop certain amounts from one to the other

A tray with a scale on it, and instructions to weigh different items around the room and record the amounts

Back to Top View montessori_lori's Profile Search for other posts by montessori_lori

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 26 2007 at 3:56pm | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

Lori, those are great ideas. I don't think we can have too many trays with just simple, basic skills like that. It's like "practical life" for a lab!
If you have a graduated cylinder those are great to practice measuring also.
Some pH strips with a few items (and let them gather materials) to test.
Slide making supplies and a microscope.
Rock id kit with hardness scale, scratch test, streak test, and acid test (vinegar will do).
Soil study: soil samples,screens, shaker jar, texture triangle, pH or other soil chemistry test kits (pick up simple ones at garden shops).
(See thread on fabric box for my ideas on static electricity)
Batteries, wires, switches, lightbulbs and other supplies for making simple circuits.
Prisms, mirrors, and a "laser" pen.

Gotta run, more later!

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

montessori_lori
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 26 2007 at 5:55pm | IP Logged Quote montessori_lori

Oooo, I love the last one! I have a prism; where do I find a laser pen?
Back to Top View montessori_lori's Profile Search for other posts by montessori_lori

Page of 2 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version