Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Nurturing the Years of Wonder (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 4Real Forums : Nurturing the Years of Wonder
Subject Topic: How many shelves are you planning? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: June 23 2007 at 10:29am | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

I'm just wondering here how many shelves are ideal to have out with trays and other materials. As we look for a new house, I am definitely keeping a "montessori" area/room in mind. Should I plan on one set of shelves, two? As many as I can get away with?

Dh has been very supportive so far of taking a more Montessori approach, but he was a little/a lot surprised to hear that I wanted a whole separate room. I was thinking of converting a dining room. But- dh has a huge office desk/cabinet set up that always takes up a whole wall of whatever room it's in. It's not my favorite piece of furniture- we ordered it from a furniture catalog and were both shocked at how massive the whole set up was when it arrived. That was nine years ago, and it hasn't grown on me. I think he could still have plenty of storage and room for all his computer stuff with something a little less hulking.

Anyway, I think there's going to be a show down: Montessori shelves vs. The Massive Furniture. I will definitely be praying for a peaceful resolution.

But in the meantime... how many shelves minimum do you think would work?

SQUILT Music Appreciation
Back to Top View SeaStar's Profile Search for other posts by SeaStar

Meredith
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 23 2007 at 11:28am | IP Logged Quote Meredith

Melinda, as someone who is also *in transition* and not knowing exactly what kind of space/shelving situation we will be working with, it's a tricky question! My ideal (and this is probably a dream )is to have a full wall dedicated to shelving with books above. Anf then a nice-sized closet/storage area (preferably close by) to house the rotation materials/overflow

I'm going to start with a less-is-more approach as I don't want my dc to think it's too overwelming (or Christmas ) and then gauge as I go along what I can gradually add in. And I know what you mean about the *hulking* furniture options. HTH somewhat, just my potential plan

Back to Top View Meredith's Profile Search for other posts by Meredith Visit Meredith's Homepage

Becky Parker
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 23 2007 at 11:29am | IP Logged Quote Becky Parker

Melinda,
I don't know what would be the best number, it really depends on your kiddos. For as young as they are, it seems that having too many would be overwhelming. This was the case for my 3 yo. He would just look at everything and start dumping. If I did it all over, I think I would start him in a seperate area with maybe two shelves and a total of 8 items or something like that. Then I could always build to the point where his older siblings are.
Just some thoughts.

Back to Top View Becky Parker's Profile Search for other posts by Becky Parker

saintanneshs
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 23 2007 at 3:23pm | IP Logged Quote saintanneshs

Melinda, I have no idea how many shelves I'll need, but I thought that it would be better to have too many than not enough! I figured that even if I didn't use them all in our learning space, I would find a use for them in a coat closet or the laundryroom (for "play" shoes) so I'm planning a set of those half-shelves for each learning area. This probably won't suit many people but since I'm starting fresh and I have a whole basement to "play" with, I'm going for it.

I talked about more in detail here, but in all honesty, I'm still not sure what to expect. I think my planning drive is over-running my practicality.

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 23 2007 at 3:54pm | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

I am finding that it is never enough! LOL! Just when I think I have it all worked out, I decide I need a new center for another topic! I am limited by the space I can find here and there, as I do not want a separate room, but I am finding little nooks and crannies here and there to stick things. I am still not fully satisfied with my atrium space, though and need to sort that out as soon as I get home.

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

Jordan
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: June 23 2007 at 4:31pm | IP Logged Quote Jordan

I am planning to have a separate shelf or cabinet for each of our different subjects. I like to do this because it seems more organized and I think it's easier for my kids.

Cheerios & Fingerpaints
Back to Top View Jordan's Profile Search for other posts by Jordan

Katie
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: June 23 2007 at 5:02pm | IP Logged Quote Katie

Right now I have a sensorial bookshelf, one for reading/writing/phonics, one for math, one for science, and one for geography/history. Music stuff ih ave on or around the piano downstairs, and I have an additional low table with toddler stuff downstairs too (my play/learning room is upstairs). I have a small set of shelves for my books/manuals, and I have another cupboard with door below that holds games and misc. puzzles, as well as a glass front area above that is as yet unassigned. I'm still unpacking!

I have additional bookshelves for books, but whenever possible I have books on the corresponding shelves ie. science books on the science shelves. I try to have botany near the leaf cabinet, animal books near the zoology puzzles etc.

Over the years I've had to get crfeative with the furniture I'm given where we are. I scrounged two bookcases that were gathering dust in the garage of my husband's office. I've used chests of drawers a lot too. Keep things int he drawers and use the top as "shelf" space. My changing table has been a craft cart for years.

Have you considered turning your dh's mammoth office furniture into the Montessori centre? Imaghine it with pretty baskets and books all over it. Then buy your dh something smaller..... just a thought!

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: June 23 2007 at 10:21pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Katie wrote:

Have you considered turning your dh's mammoth office furniture into the Montessori centre? Imaghine it with pretty baskets and books all over it. Then buy your dh something smaller..... just a thought!

Ooh! I was just going to suggest that! When we first started homeschooling our youngest, all I had was an old entertainment center that I HATED! But, it was all I had for shelving...You know, it worked out really well, and I didn't see the entertainment/pressboard wood of it all once I had it organized with books and puzzles and letters and such! I love frugal re-purposing. Of course, it would depend on how attached your dh was to the gigantic stuff, but you could ask...just a thought.

I have books up high, and Montessori down low. It's not necessarily ideal, but it's life in a home with toddlers. I am considering re-arranging the room a bit which is quite possibly my favorite thing to do in the world to eek more space out of a room, and not surprisingly my dh's least favorite thing to help with. I do have a great ceiling to floor cabinet I bought from Lowe's a few years ago. It matches my shelves, and it houses art supplies, copier printer, and some paper supplies. I keep my Montessori items to the side of this large cabinet. The geography center will be on the other side of the large cabinet. It's the only wallspace I have as we use a converted dining room which is open on all other walls.

For now, we have 2 shelves per subject. That may change though as we move through the year and I am better able to discern how many materials need to be out in a center at one time. Some items go up on the higher shelves if they belong say, on the nature shelf which is up higher.

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

saintanneshs
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 23 2007 at 10:51pm | IP Logged Quote saintanneshs

Katie wrote:

I agree with Katie and Jennifer! My dh takes everything anyone offers him furniture-wise (we once had one of our customers even offer him a huge carpet remnant in exchange for some of our chickens! ) So our whole house is a hodge-podge of someone else's unloved furniture! I think any furniture looks better with a coat of paint and some lovely plants on and around it (I use fake ones 'cause I've got noooo green thumb INSIDE the house!) Throw in a couple of baskets and a nice piece of art or some photos on top and suddenly it's the most beautiful thing you've ever put together. In fact, my mil just unloaded some pretty large (and rather hideous) very darkly-stained bookshelves onto us and I'm thinking I'll pull out the oil-bonding primer next weekend and get to work. Heaven knows I'd rather have the lovely set of cabinets at the Good Wood unfinished furniture store, but that's out of the question for now.

Let us know how things turn out!

SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 24 2007 at 6:45am | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

That idea has a lot of potential... give the Hulk some new life and a new purpose. I hadn't event thought of that! I'm sure I could love it with a brown stair and pink tower on it.

SQUILT Music Appreciation
Back to Top View SeaStar's Profile Search for other posts by SeaStar

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 25 2007 at 12:14am | IP Logged Quote Erin

Katie beat me too it I was going to suggest that. However if dh is attached/or needs 'the Hulk' then could you perhaps have some of the shelves or even a section that you could also add more shelves too.

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

Sorry, you cannot post a reply to this topic.
This forum has been locked by a forum administrator.

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version