Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Nurturing the Years of Wonder
 4Real Forums : Nurturing the Years of Wonder
Subject Topic: Geometric Insets: Homemade Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
CatholicMommy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: June 20 2007 at 12:22am | IP Logged Quote CatholicMommy

I just have to share a wonderful blessing: my 3 year old and I just spent the last 4 hours making and painting the geometric insets - and they actually look NICE. We used foam board, I think it's called (two very thick pieces of posterboard, with a layer of styrofoam in the middle), patterns from JMJ, and acrylic pink and blue paints. I used the x-acto blade, but he helped with everything else, including painting (he even 'helped' to trace some of the shapes before I cut them out).

I think total cost (including the 2 blades that I completely dulled) came to under $10 - perhaps closer to $5 - but would I ever do that project again? We'll find out Wednesday evening when I plan to make the geometric cabinet - I may need to buy some stronger blades first.

We've been using thinner cardboard, posterboard or cardstock for everything, so I'm needing to update - and all the Montessori topics lately have prompted me to use this suddenly low-key week to focus on making new materials, before I'm tempted to buy all new.

Thursday evening is the constructive triangles out of sheets of fun foam - and Friday is new sandpaper letters (these ones will be cursive). I have the wood for the red rods and red and blue rods, but need to get to a friend's farm to use the saw before I can paint them (we just use strips of cardboard for now).

Thank you all for letting me share - and if anyone has any ideas for making the above materials easier, please let me know!

God Bless!

Back to Top View CatholicMommy's Profile Search for other posts by CatholicMommy Visit CatholicMommy's Homepage

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 20 2007 at 5:30am | IP Logged Quote Erin

Don't suppose we could have some pictures? I'm always interested in what we can make ourselves.

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

KackyK
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 20 2007 at 5:55am | IP Logged Quote KackyK

As an alternative to sandpaper letters, we have used glitter glue. We put them on index cards. We used a decent amount, so there was a bit of drying time for sure. After I (well, I'll be honest, my dh ) made the beading pretty thick, he'd use his finger gently to "smush" it down some, made it a bit flatter, but not even with the paper. He put capital letters on one side and lowers on the other sides.

My kids have used them for years. I (he!) might need to make more soon as they are getting beat up.

KackyK
Back to Top View KackyK's Profile Search for other posts by KackyK Visit KackyK's Homepage

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: June 20 2007 at 5:59am | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Wow - those are great ideas for homemade geometry materials! I would love to see how your insets turned out CatholicMommy - any way you can share?

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

CatholicMommy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 20 2007 at 9:46am | IP Logged Quote CatholicMommy

Mackfam wrote:
Wow - those are great ideas for homemade geometry materials! I would love to see how your insets turned out CatholicMommy - any way you can share?

I'll post a picture as soon as the second coat of paint dries. My son has already used them this morning - I couldn't stop him. The funny thing: he knew just what to do with them with no presentation (at least the tracing the inside part - I did then show him how to make straight lines across, which he's not so good at, but he'll get it).

We are definitely having too much fun over here.
Back to Top View CatholicMommy's Profile Search for other posts by CatholicMommy Visit CatholicMommy's Homepage

Meredith
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 20 2007 at 10:39am | IP Logged Quote Meredith

WOW!! Thanks so much for sharing this!! If you want to post your pics here, email them to me and I can load them!!

Wonderful!

Back to Top View Meredith's Profile Search for other posts by Meredith Visit Meredith's Homepage

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 20 2007 at 5:42pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

I can't wait to see these....this was one of the things I wanted to make but hadn't put all thedetails together.

Back to Top View SuzanneG's Profile Search for other posts by SuzanneG

Meredith
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 20 2007 at 8:57pm | IP Logged Quote Meredith

Here are the insets from CatholicMommy- Thank you so much for sharing these, they are very inspiring!!

She adds: "I will be making the geometric cabinet this evening as far as I can get, using the same method."

Materials I used:
*templates from JMJ publishing (I cut only one square to trace all ten; then cut out and set aside only the center shape of each one, line up each square and trace on the inside (same way the kids would be tracing) - cut out all lines with the knife (I didn't try scissors); then sort of shaving the sides to leave lots of space when the centers are put back in - after painting, this space will be used up
*1 sheet of foam board (20"x30"x3/16")
one small bottle each of pink and blue acrylic paint (most of the pink, not much of the blue - 2 coats each - I did not paint the backs)
*x-acto knife (I used a fine blade because it's what I had - I'll be using a stronger blade tonight)
*10 blue pony beads
*nail to poke center holes
*short length of wire thread - threaded through each pony bead, twisted to form a "line" of sorts; poked through center of each piece then through piece of fun foam
*tiny strip of sticky fun foam (one piece under each inset to hold the wire ends down)

Total cost and time: about $6; 5 total hours with the 3 year old hands-on helper

:)

Back to Top View Meredith's Profile Search for other posts by Meredith Visit Meredith's Homepage

CatholicMommy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 20 2007 at 9:21pm | IP Logged Quote CatholicMommy

Thank you for posting the pictures, Meredith.

The colors didn't show up well on my camera - they're actually much brighter.

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: June 21 2007 at 7:00am | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

wow CatholicMommy these are great! I'm sooooo not good with an exacto, but I might try this! Or, more than likely, dh will see me struggling, be concerned for my fingers, and take over Thanks for sending the pics! I really appreciated the details about the wire and the sticky foam. Helpful.

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version