Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Nurturing the Years of Wonder (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 4Real Forums : Nurturing the Years of Wonder
Subject Topic: Color Boxes Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Meredith
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: June 19 2007 at 12:43pm | IP Logged Quote Meredith

Ok, question: Could one get away with buying Color Box 2 and pulling the Primary Colors out and presenting them as such??? I now it's a bit nit-picky, but if the second box already contains the Color Box 1 Materials, then isn't this still in keeping with Montessori??

Back to Top View Meredith's Profile Search for other posts by Meredith Visit Meredith's Homepage

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: June 19 2007 at 12:51pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

I bought color box 3 because dd 10 was really interested in learning color combinations, etc. I was planning on using the 3 part cards for matching activities with the primary colors for ds 2 1/2, but if I end up ordering again, which I may very well, I am thinking of ordering color box 1 for the littlest guy to use. I am beginning to be concerned that he would be confused if he went to the shelves to work with the color box and opened it to find magenta and lime green, when he had really only worked with red, yellow, and green.   It's a concern anyway. And the color box 1 is so inexpensive in the grand scheme of things. Heck, I may order color box 2 while I'm dreaming.

I'd love to hear if any of you guys have the same concerns.

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

Meredith
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 19 2007 at 12:59pm | IP Logged Quote Meredith

Yeah, this is my concern as well. I'm starting to think *cheap* as I've spent most of my budget, surprise anyone

Back to Top View Meredith's Profile Search for other posts by Meredith Visit Meredith's Homepage

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: June 19 2007 at 1:07pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Mine's gone Meredith!! If I spend any more it will be out of the generosity of my dh for sure!!! So I'm calculating very carefully as one of my wished for items is a biggie - the geography cabinet!!! It may be that if I spend a couple of more weeks thinking about it, I can order the last few things on my list. But, the color box 1 is on there, along with the geometric solids too. So I definitely know what you mean.

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

CatholicMommy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 19 2007 at 1:12pm | IP Logged Quote CatholicMommy

I splurged on box 3, because I couldn't find just the right paint chips at the store; however, for boxes 1 and 2 that only need one shade of each color, I made some out of paint chips from the store, cutting and gluing onto strips of index cards, so there is a white 'handle' on either end, andthe color shows on both sides. They've held up quite well (more than I expected) and the cost was only for the paste and the index cards. In a perfect world, I'd just buy everything though ;)

I have also heard somewhere (perhaps in the Hainstock book???) that just wrapping embroidery floss or yarn around a card cut the proper size would work well too (and give some texture).
Back to Top View CatholicMommy's Profile Search for other posts by CatholicMommy Visit CatholicMommy's Homepage

AndreaG
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: June 19 2007 at 1:44pm | IP Logged Quote AndreaG

I did just what you are thinking Meredith- I bought color box 2 and just pulled out the primary colors for the first presentation. I had the same concern as Jennifer that having the whole box 2 available would be confusing for my 2 year old so I just put the primary tablets in a smaller box I had and kept the rest in the original box in the closet out of sight. She very quickly progressed to the whole box 2. I have had the same thought that box 1 is so cheap, I may pick it up next time I place a montessori order, but at the time I just didn't have the budget- sounds like you ladies are in the same boat!

Back to Top View AndreaG's Profile Search for other posts by AndreaG

Kristin
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: June 19 2007 at 9:46pm | IP Logged Quote Kristin

FWIW, I think you can easily get by without the first color box. I did do presentation and 3-period lessons with dd last year (then about 18-24 months) but it wasn't something she was drawn to so I easily could have sat down with the colors from box 2. Maybe you could take them out and put them in a different container and have older children take them to use when they need to use Color Box 2?

DS has not shown much interest yet in the color boxes --- Could it be because taking all of those tablets in and out is not my favorite thing to do and he picked up on it? My friend (and former Montessori 3-6 teacher) told me that she thought the color boxes would be just fine made with paint samples and totally unnecessary to buy --- I wish I would have listened! I think they would have seen more use at our house than the wooden ones. I even had all the paint sample sheets picked out to make them ...    But I'm an artsy person and I was so drawn to the beauty of the "real" tablets.

She also suggested the idea mentioned here about using tablets from color box 2 for the first color box presentation. Box 1, in her mind, was absolutely unecessary! She said she never saw a child come in that didn't already know the colors red, blue and yellow so what's the point?   

Donna Marie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 19 2007 at 10:04pm | IP Logged Quote Donna Marie

Big surprise here...I made mine! I used the plastic cards they use to hold embroidery floss and paint chips from home depot. I even put each set on a 3in binder ring and plopped the whole shabang in a deep tacklebox. I have since added other things to this box too...like those paddles for color mixing and some spinners my ds made with cut circles from cereal box cardboard. FUN!

God love you,
Donna Marie from NJ
hs momma to 7dc

Finding Elegant Simplicity
Back to Top View Donna Marie's Profile Search for other posts by Donna Marie Visit Donna Marie's Homepage

Meredith
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 20 2007 at 9:41am | IP Logged Quote Meredith

Well, I bout all three, how's that for difinitive decion making!! Donna Marie, I love your enthusiasm for making your materials, it's infectious, I just wish I wasn't in limbo at themoment and I would have more wherewithall for it! Next summer perhaps

We will be VERY color-immersed here on ALL levels

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 20 2007 at 5:38pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

I got Box #3. I'll See how it works to use the chips for 3 for the 1 and 2 presentations.

Also, just to make you all drool, look at the second line on page 2 of "sensorial" Color Resemblance Sorting Task. Isn't that beautiful?   

Back to Top View SuzanneG's Profile Search for other posts by SuzanneG

SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 20 2007 at 7:04pm | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

SuzanneG wrote:
I got Box #3. I'll See how it works to use the chips for 3 for the 1 and 2 presentations.

Also, just to make you all drool, look at the second line on page 2 of "sensorial" Color Resemblance Sorting Task. Isn't that beautiful?   

Oh, I've been eyeing that one- it looks so neat, doesn't it?

SQUILT Music Appreciation
Back to Top View SeaStar's Profile Search for other posts by SeaStar

AndreaG
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: June 21 2007 at 7:44am | IP Logged Quote AndreaG

I got the Color Resemblance material for my daughter's birthday. It IS beautiful! She really likes working with it, it is just the right level of challenge for her. I got it as a bridge between color box 2 and color box 3. My boys (5 and 8) also like it- they have races to see who can fill up their row.

Back to Top View AndreaG's Profile Search for other posts by AndreaG

Sorry, you cannot post a reply to this topic.
This forum has been locked by a forum administrator.

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version