Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Nurturing the Years of Wonder (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 4Real Forums : Nurturing the Years of Wonder
Subject Topic: Need Help choosing how to spend money Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: June 19 2007 at 7:02am | IP Logged Quote Erin

As I have shared before an unexpected cheque arrived in the mail After hours of wandering cyberspace I have come ot the conclusion that Adena is the cheapest option for me as I don't have to pay freight with them. To receive free freight I have to spend 350 American dollars.

I am definetly going to purchase 7 puzzle maps. The World, Asia, Africa, North America, South America, Australia and Europe. This totals $246. So I need to spend more another $104.

What would you all consider a must? What perhaps can't be home-made or substituted and really would be best from Montessori suppliers?

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

AndreaG
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: June 19 2007 at 8:02am | IP Logged Quote AndreaG

I suggest:
the pink tower
brown stair
knobbed cylinders
geometry cabinet
knobless cylinders
geometry solids
golden beads
color box
binomial and trinomial cubes

I suppose you could make all these things if you were very handy, and obviously all of them add up to way more that $104. Sounds like a fun dilemma though!

Back to Top View AndreaG's Profile Search for other posts by AndreaG

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 19 2007 at 8:26am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Erin, which ages/children will benefit most from adding Montessori materials? What is a weak area in your learning "system" that you would like reinforcing or a different approach?

I had the wonderful privilege of visiting a Catholic Montessori school last week. The classroom was so appealing! Of course my focus is on early learning level. If Language and writing is an area, I LOVE the metal insets with stands. That helps train for writings.

For math, I'm gravitating toward the golden beads.

And it seems that all ages, even when they are older still love the pink tower and brown stair. My nieces who attended a Montessori preschool still look at those materials with affection and longing...it's sentimental favorite.

BUT I was also thinking the sandpaper globe can do double duty, as it is usually part of the Atrium materials.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: June 19 2007 at 8:46am | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Erin,
I thought about making some of these items at first, but in the end I ordered them because my dh saw how affordable and beautiful some of the Montessori items were as they were coming in. The quality is really evident, and it has a REAL attraction.

I do think looking through the site while keeping your little guys in mind is a good idea - jut go through and put everything that appeals to you in your cart - everything! Then start weeding by thinking about items that will do double/triple duty. I love the wooden moveable alphabet set. It's beautiful and will provide much for all of my kids.   But, I didn't realize that until I started pulling stuff from my cart and was really thinking about its usefulness.

These are my favorites:
The Brown Stair
The Red Rods
The knobbed cylinders
The color tablets
The golden beads and their many cousins
The Binomial Cube
The wooden numbers (1-9) (10-90) (100-900) (1000-9000)
Red and Blue Rods

Have fun shopping!

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 19 2007 at 8:54am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Oh, and I have to second Jennifer's opinions. While I made my own sandpaper letters, these are so much nicer and appealing. And I still love the wooden movable alphabet better than homemade or plastic. I find my son is drawn to well-made wooden materials.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Meredith
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 19 2007 at 9:40am | IP Logged Quote Meredith

Ditto what everyone else has said above Erin and I would for sure second the Globe, either sandpaper or World (I bought both ).

The Golden Beads are truly beautiful and my dc can't get enough of the Colored Beads as well. They've played the Snake Game (scroll down) in all it's dimensions since we received our order last week

How fun!! You've made some great choices already, don't sweat it too much as you will be happy with most everything you can choose! I really second the idea of putting what you want into your cart and then eliminting as you ponder the benefits for your dc!

Let us know how it turns out for you!
Blessings!

Back to Top View Meredith's Profile Search for other posts by Meredith Visit Meredith's Homepage

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 19 2007 at 9:52pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

Andrea wrote:
I suggest:
the pink tower
brown stair
knobbed cylinders
geometry cabinet
knobless cylinders
geometry solids
golden beads
color box
binomial and trinomial cubes

I suppose you could make all these things if you were very handy

Do you think so? I was thinking that too or perhaps some similar sort of things could be found on ebay.
I am most interested in the geometry solids and cabinet. But then I have no real idea how some of the other things are used. So much to learn.

Jenn wrote:
Erin, which ages/children will benefit most from adding Montessori materials?

Jenn,
Originally I was thinking of my brand new 3yrdd. She is so eager to be part of everything. But then dd5 is a bright button who so needs extending and then there are the boys 8 and 10 who complain that 'they' never got to do these things when 'they' were three and then the 12 and 13 yr olds have been caught pouring the rice too   See my dilema? I guess I have to say the younger two/three are the most important focus at this stage.

The 5 and 8 year olds are just starting to read so do I buy for them or is it too late? Like you I LOVE the look of the wooden letters but do I really need them.

Jenn GM wrote:
What is a weak area in your learning "system" that you would like reinforcing or a different approach?

Our weak area that would definetly and easily be enhanced is geography. This is why the puzzles and globe also appeal to me. I wonder if I need the extra maps, they look so good but then again are extra cost. I have been thinking if I was bold and emailed them that Alison's include it as their deal whether they would too. It could be worth a try.

Jenn wrote:
I had the wonderful privilege of visiting a Catholic Montessori school last week. The classroom was so appealing! Of course my focus is on early learning level. If Language and writing is an area, I LOVE the metal insets with stands. That helps train for writings.

See they would be good with dd3. Then again I just one some wooden shape puzzles on ebay that dd could trace around. When you say 'insets do you mean what you pull out?'

Jenn wrote:
For math, I'm gravitating toward the golden beads.

They look very attractive but I have some craft wood rods and cubes. The ones, tens, hundreds and thousand cubes. Not as pretty certainly but they have been useful. And then I also have the fraction pie which has been excellent in explaining fractions to the older dc.

Jenn wrote:
BUT I was also thinking the sandpaper globe can do double duty, as it is usually part of the Atrium materials.

How is the sandpaper globe used? I have been considering the painted one, is sandpaper better?

Mackfam wrote:
]
Erin,I thought about making some of these items at first, but in the end I ordered them because my dh saw how affordable and beautiful some of the Montessori items were as they were coming in. The quality is really evident, and it has a REAL attraction.

What could easily be the reality then is that the attractive could be used far more than the servicable.

Mackfam wrote:
]I do think looking through the site while keeping your little guys in mind is a good idea - jut go through and put everything that appeals to you in your cart - everything! Then start weeding by thinking about items that will do double/triple duty.

That is some very good advice.

Mackfam wrote:
I love the wooden moveable alphabet set. It's beautiful and will provide much for all of my kids.   But, I didn't realize that until I started pulling stuff from my cart and was really thinking about its usefulness.

So you did end up getting the alphabet then? I have used various things in the past, letters from a scrabble game etc. However I can really see us using these letter simply because they are so appealing. But then I could use something else so I really need to spend where I can't use something else. See soo hard.

Jenn wrote:
Oh, and I have to second Jennifer's opinions. While I made my own sandpaper letters, these are so much nicer and appealing. And I still love the wooden movable alphabet better than homemade or plastic. I find my son is drawn to well-made wooden materials.

Ah, I have also made sandpaper letters, a nice lasting set and we have hardly ever used them. They are mounted on unpainted wood, I wonder if that makes a difference.

Meredith wrote:

Ditto what everyone else has said above Erin and I would for sure second the Globe, either sandpaper or World (I bought both ).

The Golden Beads are truly beautiful and my dc can't get enough of the Colored Beads as well. They've played the Snake Game (scroll down) in all it's dimensions since we received our order last week

How fun!! You've made some great choices already, don't sweat it too much as you will be happy with most everything you can choose! I really second the idea of putting what you want into your cart and then eliminting as you ponder the benefits for your dc!

Thanks Meredith, the globe is definetely going in, just not too sure which one yet. I will do the cart thing both you and Jennifer recommend.

What do you all think of the botany sections?

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: June 19 2007 at 10:19pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Loved the Botany sections - still grappling with the decision to order or not. I might wait as I already have some very nice 3 part cards.

As we speak, I have 3 separate carts from 3 separate vendors full of geography puzzles/cabinet and a few other odds and ends just to try to compare a few prices. I'm really leaning to Alison's because of the discount and because the cabinet holds 12 not 8 puzzles. But...who knows in the end.

Yes, Erin I did order the wooden moveable alphabet. Everyone from the 2yo to the 10yo loved it. Soooooo beautiful. My 10yo was spelling words, my 6yo was obsessively organizing and lining up letters just so, and the 2yo would say pretty, pretty while helping big sis spell his name.

Like everyone else here, I've substituted over the years in various subjects - the plastic letter tiles, the plastic cubes, the cardboard puzzles. They just do not hold interest. They seemed adequate enough, and I guess things didn't click until Lori (Montessori for Everyone) mentioned something I had already heard and read a million times - the materials HAVE to be attractive. It was something I should have known. As the materials have come in, you cannot help but be drawn in - they are so attractive and beautiful in their simplicity. I will have to be content to make a good start this year and like you try to cover weak areas. Then, in years to come, I will hopefully add to our collection. There will still be some home-made items in our future - some materials lend themselves to this so readily.

Good luck shopping and have fun filling your carts - I can't wait to hear what you decide on. This has been such a fun summer so far - I have learned so much. It would be so nice if we could all get together and share a cup of tea one afternoon in real life - one of the shortcomings of this board is not getting to spend an afternoon with some of you while the kids play out back!

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 20 2007 at 7:41am | IP Logged Quote Erin

Mackfam wrote:
Loved the Botany sections - still grappling with the decision to order or not. I might wait as I already have some very nice 3 part cards.

What are three part cards and how do I make them?

Mackfam wrote:
Yes, Erin I did order the wooden moveable alphabet. Everyone from the 2yo to the 10yo loved it. Soooooo beautiful. My 10yo was spelling words, my 6yo was obsessively organizing and lining up letters just so, and the 2yo would say pretty, pretty while helping big sis spell his name.

Like everyone else here, I've substituted over the years in various subjects - the plastic letter tiles, the plastic cubes, the cardboard puzzles. They just do not hold interest. They seemed adequate enough, and I guess things didn't click until Lori (Montessori for Everyone) mentioned something I had already heard and read a million times - the materials HAVE to be attractive. It was something I should have known. As the materials have come in, you cannot help but be drawn in - they are so attractive and beautiful in their simplicity.

Oh nooo you're tempting me again.

Mackfarm wrote:
It would be so nice if we could all get together and share a cup of tea one afternoon in real life - one of the shortcomings of this board is not getting to spend an afternoon with some of you while the kids play out back!

What a dream, I would so love to.   

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: June 20 2007 at 8:07am | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Erin - I'm not really on the "yahoo groups" train yet, I know someone out there can link you to a site that might offer these for free! I have my husband's paycheck's direct deposited at Lori's Montessori For Everyone store. Here is the direct link to her Botany Set.

I ordered a lot from Lori using the 3 part card idea. I printed on cardstock, and I'll laminate and hope that these will be adequate substitutes for the beautiful wooden puzzles for now. I like that the files are just pdf's - so no freight for you! The cards are quite beautiful.

The 3 part card idea works with the 3 part lesson introducing vocabulary first, then the cards are matched using a control set. Here's a link to how to do the 3 period lesson that I found helpful.

Sorry about the temptation! She does have some really nice free downloads available on her site too, you might check those out to see what you think.

Are you going to order any geography puzzles? The geography cabinet?

I just finished re-reading this thread on geography puzzles and cabinets and boy am I glad I did, but of course it plants me firmly in the Alison's camp! I took a look at Theresa's Geography center all set up again. So beautiful!

Meredith - are you out there this morning??? Do you know how long the "Stalvey" code is good for at Alison's?

AndreaG
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: June 20 2007 at 8:24am | IP Logged Quote AndreaG

The following Yahoo groups have all kinds of free cards:

mm_share:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/mm_share/?yguid=272232309
This is a list strictly for emailing montessori files, I have mine go to my gmail account which I check sporadically. Lots of good stuff!

montessorimakers:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/montessorimakers/?yguid=178021 502
This is a discussion list for making montessori materials, once you join you can also join the sister storage groups- there are lots of files there organized by subject.

montessoribyhand:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/montessoribyhand/?yguid=178021 502
This is the companion list to the Montessori By Hand blog where a montessori teacher shares files and ideas.

And don't forget www.montessorimaterials.org, Sellers blog , ,JMJ Publishing, Montessori for Everyone which Jennifer mentioned.
Another site that I like that SELLS cards is Learning Collection Montessori
But you can also look at what they have and get ideas to make your own.

Meredith
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 20 2007 at 9:33am | IP Logged Quote Meredith

Wow, you guys have been busy this morning, I need to get up earlier

Erin, try not to get overwhelmed!! I see in my Cultural Album that the Sandpaper Globe is the first presentation for it's tactile/visual representation of the Earth. Then you move to either the land/water forms globe or the full color globe. I'll try and link it here in a bit.

I ordered the Botany Leaf Cabinet from Alison's as theirs was on clearance for $68!!

Take it one step at a time, and my older kids are relishing in all of this Montessori as well, they can still benefit even at an older age!

Back to Top View Meredith's Profile Search for other posts by Meredith Visit Meredith's Homepage

AndreaG
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: June 21 2007 at 10:58am | IP Logged Quote AndreaG

Mackfam wrote:
It would be so nice if we could all get together and share a cup of tea one afternoon in real life - one of the shortcomings of this board is not getting to spend an afternoon with some of you while the kids play out back!

I agree! On this note- is anyone here planning on attending the 4Real conference? It looks great!

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 21 2007 at 12:48pm | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

I will be there!

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

Meredith
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 21 2007 at 4:21pm | IP Logged Quote Meredith

I'm going to be there!!! I can'at believe it either, but I'm so excited

JoJo
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: June 27 2007 at 8:27am | IP Logged Quote JoJo

Hello Erin

I've been reading your posts, and wondered what you have decided to purchase in the end. And did you end up going with Adena Montessori?

We're in Oz as well, so the price of postage from US really hurts . For example the Botany Cabinet from Alisons (for US$68) would have cost another US$170 to post!

However, I found that Montessori Outlet is currently very price competitive (with their 25% off until end of this month), and even with postage worked out very similar to Adena's (for the items I was interested in).

I'm looking at ordering the decanomial bead box (as recommended by Lori) as you can do so many things with it Particularly in the elementary years maths. And it would take so long to make that I think I can justify the cost. That and the knobless cylinders, as I think they can be extended a lot more (plus they require heaps less room to store - major consideration for us at the moment).

Jo
Mum of 4 (13 to 0)

Back to Top View JoJo's Profile Search for other posts by JoJo

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 27 2007 at 8:58am | IP Logged Quote Erin

Hi JoJo

Welcome I always love to see another Australian here, we have been getting so many lately

Everybody is waiting on me I am taking soo long to choose, I'll explain why in a minute.

I have finally heard back from all the companies I emailed, I asked them all the price on 7 puzzle maps, they all doubled the price on freight alone before you even convert the dollar Adena is going to win hands down as for a cheaper price I will end up with my maps plus extra. The next cheapest was Montessori Conceptswhose price was the cheapest to start with and their freight was the cheapest by far too. They were only going to charge $185 compared to most who were going to charge $230-260 one was going to charge $350!!

Oh and FYI Montessori Concepts told me 'I think that our maps look and feel superior to the other Chinese companies.
Ours are laser cut and the paint is silk screened onto the wood so it looks smoother than painting it on.' I thought that was good to know.

However Adena wins price wise, MC price of 7maps is $161 with freight at $185 the total is $346.
Well for $350 I can get my maps from Adena, maps costing $246 and I still have $104 to spend on other products. Freight is free. Dh says that that is a woman's logic as I still have to spend all that money anyhow so I can't say that I am saving
(oh the conversion makes is $415 Aust) so I am sure you can see why I still haven't spent.

Btw in Australia we have Montessori and More (maps are $75) but he tells me they are having a sale on the 30th, this Saturday here is a description
'The sale on the 30th may have some old maps where the new countries can be painted on by the purchaser, this is the case for the former USSR, There could also be some North America and Globes that will go on sale, we are still in the process of pulling out old stock for the sale'.

There is another company in Brisbane Montessori Marketwho are alot cheaper (their map was $68) however she only had the one in stock.

Decisons, decisions.

Oh and dh thinks its not worthwhile getting the Australian map as he thinks we could pick up one here, he isn't keen on the world map either as he thinks we could get one somewhere!! Where?? I've never seen one. So problems explaining.

JoJo
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: June 28 2007 at 11:12pm | IP Logged Quote JoJo

Thank you Erin

I am going back to have another look at Adena. They look like they've just reduced some prices ~10% or so.

Re map of Australia - I purchased a wooden map of Australia (the country - not the continent) locally for around $7-8 with all the states, so this has done us finely. I have not seen a map of the world with the continents - I have looked in lots of places - shops, educational supplies etc for a long time now.

I did find a cardboard puzzle map of the world where the pieces are shaped like countries, but because it's the whole world the pieces are quite small, and some of the larger countries are made up of many pieces. Plus there are heaps of ocean pieces - way too many for my 6yo to do. So I've started to separate the pieces to create six different puzzles. Overall it's not nearly as attractive as the Montessori Maps.

However my consolation is that she spent 2.5 years at Monty preschool and has had lots and lots of time doing these.

Thanks again
Jo
Mum of 4 (13 to 0)

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 29 2007 at 4:56am | IP Logged Quote Erin

Jo
I couldn't find the 10% off, where is it on the website?

There are little wooden Aust. maps on ebay at present for around the price you mention.

Where in Aust. are you? I'm in NSW.

JoJo
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: June 29 2007 at 8:13pm | IP Logged Quote JoJo

Hi Erin

We're in Vic.

The 10% (? or so) is not obviously advertised, but the reduced prices are shown in red. I noted the prices a little while ago, and then when I went back to the site they were cheaper. For example the bead decanomial I was looking at was previously $113, and now it's just over $102.

From memory I got the wooden map of Australia from Windmill, but I think most educational suppliers will have it too.

Jo

Sorry, you cannot post a reply to this topic.
This forum has been locked by a forum administrator.

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version