Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady of Good Remedy and Care
 4Real Forums : Our Lady of Good Remedy and Care
Subject Topic: Can you help? Trouble after childbirth Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Pamin OZ
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: June 19 2007 at 12:58am | IP Logged Quote Pamin OZ

I am due with my fourth in September and while I'm the normal amount of nervous about the labour it's what comes after that's really got me scared.

I get something which I assume is like Irritable Bowel Syndrome and my insides go beserk for a month or so afterwards.

Typically, I will get awful, awful cramping pains that can last fifteen to thirty minutes and then diarrhoea and relief til the next time. I am so wiped out by each episode- white and shaking. I am so thankful I have two older boys who can look after the little ones if this happens again.

I've asked lots of health professionals about this and no-one seems to have any idea what I am talking about. The only thing I have seen was a reference in a book about Elizabeth Fry- the prison reformer of the 18th century- who had what sounded like the same thing. She got to take laudanum (an opiate!) which sounds good to me!

Honestly, this is worse than labour. My labours are very short and efficient and I wonder if that has something to do with it- does my body get mixed up and go into hyperdrive?

Surely I can't be the only one who has had this? Does anyone know what I am talking about and if so- what worked?

Codeine might- but then it would probably be over by the time the tablets took effect, wouldn't it?

Right now it doesn't feel so bad but when I visualize what it was like last time- I get scared.

Thanks in advance

Pam
mum to ds 13, ds 10, dd 17m and little girl due in Sept.
Back to Top View Pamin OZ's Profile Search for other posts by Pamin OZ

Red Cardigan
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: June 19 2007 at 1:17am | IP Logged Quote Red Cardigan

Pam,

My sister had something like this after one of her pregnancies, and it turned out to be a c. difficile infection. Here's a link for some information:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/c-difficile/DS00736

Not only is this something associated with hospital stays in general, but also pregnant women may be at risk from antibiotic use if they are group B strep positive and must be on an antibiotic prior to delivery. Plus, one of the risk factors of a c. diff infection is a previous c. diff infection, so if you've ever had it there's more risk of it recurring, from what I understand.

I'll be praying for you!
Back to Top View Red Cardigan's Profile Search for other posts by Red Cardigan

Pamin OZ
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: June 19 2007 at 4:47am | IP Logged Quote Pamin OZ

Thanks!

I looked it up and it isn't quite the same- well, I haven't had antibiotics any time around the pregnancies and the symptoms weren't identical but it was helpful to rule it out anyway.

Pam
Back to Top View Pamin OZ's Profile Search for other posts by Pamin OZ

folklaur
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 19 2007 at 11:07am | IP Logged Quote folklaur

It is probably a hormone thing. I know that doesn't help very much.

I have IBS-D all the time, whenever I get stressed. It is horrible.

Wish I could be of help...I will keep you in my prayers.
Back to Top View folklaur's Profile Search for other posts by folklaur

Dawnie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 19 2007 at 3:13pm | IP Logged Quote Dawnie

Pam,

I had something similar after the births of my 2nd and 3rd children, but not after my 1st and 4th.

Warm compresses really helped ease the pain...so did lying in a warm bath, with the water deep enough to cover my belly.

I also noticed a connection between these cramping episodes and high-fat meals (a McDonald's value meal was almost guaranteed to cause an episode).

I had my gallbladder taken out after my 1st baby was born, and I have wondered if there's a connection there. I didn't have any cramping episodes after my 4th was born, though, THANK GOODNESS!!!

Dawn

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version