Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: non-monetary rewards Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
mellyrose
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: June 12 2007 at 2:18pm | IP Logged Quote mellyrose

Please help me brainstorm some non-monetary rewards we can put in place for my boys (ages 5 & 6). This summer, we're working on them being more consistently helpful around the house. I set up chore charts and the idea is that if they complete the chart during the week, they receive a reward.

Last week, they "earned" a hot wheels car.

However, I'd rather think of some things that won't add to the clutter! I don't really want to tie the chart to actual money, because then they'll spend it on clutter. (Can you tell I"m a little stressed about clutter at the moment?)

What types of things do you reward your kids with? I'm beginning to think mine are spoiled bc everything I think of is kinda a normal occurence and wouldn't be considered a reward . . .

Melanie
Mom to Colin (11/00), Nate (05/02) and Lydia (04/07)
Back to Top View mellyrose's Profile Search for other posts by mellyrose

Fuzzy
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: June 12 2007 at 3:56pm | IP Logged Quote Fuzzy

Melanie, my kids are younger than yours, but what about a special computer game? (my littles love Starfall, PBSKids Sprout, or anything on the computer) Or they get to pick family night movie/game. Special time with mommy or daddy, doing something special (could be just one-on-one finger painting, walk, etc.). Do you have a good playground nearby? I know it is hard to go with littles, but my kids enjoy the "different" playgrounds.

Normal things to you, may be so special to them; watering the lawn can be running-through-the-sprinkler time! My DH LOVES to do that with my kids (keeps the lawn green! ).

I know you weren't going for monetary, but if you have piggy banks for the kids, it is so much fun to let them put it in the bank. Even just one coin! We always say we are "saving up to go to Disneyworld again" and my kids get a kick out of that! We also put money in the poor box as well.

I keep hoping (and this is a BIG hope ) that my kids will get rewards from getting the job done, or just seeing the sticker! I don't remember getting rewards for chores, unless they were "in Heaven" as my mother used to tell me.

This is just some thoughts, and I know more experienced ladies will have more ideas.

HTH

Back to Top View Fuzzy's Profile Search for other posts by Fuzzy Visit Fuzzy's Homepage

sewcrazy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 12 2007 at 4:16pm | IP Logged Quote sewcrazy

My oldest 2 are teenagers now, but at that age I gave them tokens for things they could "buy":
A game with just them and mommy
An extra story at bed
Dessert in the middle of the day
Help chose and make fancy dessert
Stay up an extra 15 minutes alone with mom and dad at bedtime
Computer time
TV time
A lot of tokens would earn a trip to DQ for a cone, again just that child and a parent or a new book, or a Blockbuster rental or lots and lots for a movie "date".

My boys are close in age, and still value rewards that give them one-on-one time with either my dh or myself. Even the most mundane things can be rewards if they don't have to share them. We took many things that we has been giving the boys and expected them to earn them. We still do this with the things they want. The boys will ask what they need to do to earn want they want.

LeeAnn
Back to Top View sewcrazy's Profile Search for other posts by sewcrazy

Bella
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 12 2007 at 7:42pm | IP Logged Quote Bella

I'm pretty much right there with you!

Dh and I stress over and over that there is nothing that compares to the gift of time.And really, since them helping you allows you more time to do something else, time becomes the logical and natural consequence. So....

Think of rewarding them in terms of *time*....

To do something special(park,backyard,walk,scooters).

Time with you and dh for whatever they choose.

Time for a playdate(or a longer one).

Extra time for anything that is near and dear to their hearts.

I too will be taking notes on more sage mommy advice!

Warmly,
Christy
Back to Top View Bella's Profile Search for other posts by Bella

Rachel May
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 13 2007 at 12:19pm | IP Logged Quote Rachel May

We did this Fruits of the Holy Spirit study in the fall. I painted a big tree, and the kids were allowed to earn diecut paper apples to put on the tree. I was surprised at how well it worked. When we moved in Feb the kids reminded me over and over to paint a new tree. This house has a Mt. Vernon chalkboard, so I painted an orchard and intend to buy cherries.....someday.

CAgirl4God
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: June 13 2007 at 7:16pm | IP Logged Quote CAgirl4God

we have used picnics or park days.

we have passes for several things around town. and will use those places a rewards also.

special movie/video that they pick out

time with dad doing something fun. they all LOVE that one. lol

beach day.

ice cream occassionally.

a friend of mine had something they called the "special plate" they family made it together ( at a pottery place) and then they took turns using it weekly. but you could lose you privilge for you week if you did fullfill your responsibilities. not sure if that is a direction you want to go....

I will think some more....

Jamie, married to John
JC, Nugget, Christina & Judy
Chowder
Back to Top View CAgirl4God's Profile Search for other posts by CAgirl4God

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 13 2007 at 9:55pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

You have some great ideas already. I don't suppose you want what my dc are currently earning? Each job earns so many beans/tokens, this adds up to a percentage ownership in a cow

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

Sorry, you cannot post a reply to this topic.
This forum has been locked by a forum administrator.

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version