Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: Hsing "long" ago Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Maturemomg
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: June 11 2007 at 10:38am | IP Logged Quote Maturemomg

Just a commentary on some changes I have seen over 25 years.

When we started, the question of whether hsing was legal was very much up in the air. While I was the "first" one in our area to start, a good friend followed a year later.   I never ran into legal problems as my kids were not yet "mandatory school age"- 7 in our state. She and her dh did have legal problems. She had the sheriff knocking at her door for truancy more than once.   They went to court.   (Their case was "on hold" until the state supreme court decided 2 cases at that level- eventually hsing became definitley legal in MN. Then their case was dismissed.)

But for a while (years), you weren't sure where things were going. There was the very real possibilty (and actual "threat" in the case of my friend) of having your children removed from your care and placed in custody so they could recieve "proper" schooling. Several of us had in place "emergency" plans as to where to spirit our kids off to, should it come to that. What we would do in that sccenario. We faced the smal (but distinctly real) possibilty of being imprisoned. Were we willing to stand up for our beliefs to that degree?
Well, those of us that DID home school WERE willing. We believed in it that much, we believed that strongly that this was God's choice for our family. And so did everyone else who homeschooled.

And now things have changed in MANY ways. The one thing that really irks me, though, is lack of committment of many homeschoolers.   You have parents who mid-year pull a child out because they don't like the teacher, or their child is being bullied. Those may be valid reasons for homeschooling. But then the parent gets the child out and realizes that hsing is hard WORK, and that they don't LIKE being with their child that many hours every day. So they pop them back in. Then out again a year or two later and so on. I sense a lack of committment in many (not all) hsers these days.   It's the current fun/fad thing to do. They may delude themselves into thinking they have good intentions (and maybe they do), but the whole thing is rather superficial.   There is no depth to their choice.   I feel like asking them "If there was a possibility of you going to jail because you hs, would you still do it?" Not that everyone has to answer yes to that question, but it sure would be nice to see a bit higher level of committment amongst some hsers, or some of those who are thinking about it.

(This does not refer to anyone in particular here. I was just talking with a mom locally the other day who is thinking of taking her kdis out for next fall. But she has done NO research, has NO idea really of what she is thinking of doing. Just figures she can jump in and ride the flow or something????? I mean, there are TONS of resources avaiable now - we had no internet then- and Seton was the ONLY Catholic hsing provider and they didn't have much- no chat rooms or boards. So, in one sense, it IS much easier, but you still need SERIOUS committment on the part of the parents.)

So I applaud the support and info and encouragement now available, as well as success stories of adults who were hsed as kids.   (Some of which include MINE! :grin: I always KNEW they'd turn out, but MANY others had their doubts. Just becuase you "couldn't" turn out okay without school!)
But I lament the lack of committment in some families.

Yours in Christ,
Kathy

ETA- Not looking for praise here- just making observations!    But thanks!
Back to Top View Maturemomg's Profile Search for other posts by Maturemomg

MarieC
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 11 2007 at 11:48am | IP Logged Quote MarieC

I'm a "new" homeschooler....just finished our 4th year and I have so much respect and gratitude to all of you who paved the way for me and others. I do think that we will homeschool for the long haul and I get a very sick feeling inside when I think of what would happen if my homeschooling freedom were taken from me. I can't imagine how difficult things must have been for you and other "pioneers". Just a long way of saying....
THANK YOU!!!!!

Out in the Orchard
Back to Top View MarieC's Profile Search for other posts by MarieC

Paula in MN
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 11 2007 at 12:54pm | IP Logged Quote Paula in MN

I've only homeschooled for two years. I'm in the same state as Kathy, and have heard from others what it used to be like here (and not that long ago!)

I, too, applaud the pioneers. Thanks!

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: June 11 2007 at 1:08pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

We've been homeschooling since the beginning - for 7 years now. It's been rewarding, but not always easy.

My mom was one of those pioneers like you Kathy! She gave me the best piece of advice, and I've freely shared it, because it is affirmed again and again - the ONLY thing required to homeschool is COMMITTMENT!

Thanks Mom!

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 11 2007 at 9:21pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

Kathy

Like you I remember those days, when every car that pulled up could be the one!! When the children were poised, ready to run to the bush. Like Jennifer it wasn't myself who was hsed but my siblings. I remember my mother flying to Sydney to attend political meetings and finally succeding in playing a part in having better laws.

What I sometimes find difficult is the 'taking for granted' that some homeschoolers take today in regards to the legality of homeschooling and the understanding of the legal process. However saying that, that is good really because I would never want anyone to really understand what we went through as it was horrible.

What you describe Kathy is what we have coined here as 'yo-yo' homeschoolers. It really is so unfair on their poor children. I know people who are constantly putting their dc in school and then pulling them out

The information and variety of resources today is fantastic, if not a little overwhelming at times

Hats off to my mum to you Kathy, your mum, Jennifer and all the other pioneer mums and dads. I'm sure their names are written in annals in heaven.

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

kingvozzo
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 11 2007 at 9:47pm | IP Logged Quote kingvozzo

We're finishing our 4th year of hs'ing. When we first started, we lived in TX, and I was so glad that it was such an amenable environment. I had no desire to be a trailblazer. I was so grateful for the families that had fought the battles before. I still don't want to blaze any trails. But, now I live in a place (CT) which is not so hs-friendly. Families are being reported to DCF for educational neglect for withdrawing their children. School districts are stating that children are only considered withdrawn if the school says they are, regardless of what notification (not legally required) is given by the parents. Would I fight for my hs rights? Absolutely! But I'm still thoroughly grateful that I got my feet wet in a safer environment, where I could become committed to hs'ing without fear. It's given me strength to not be afraid now.

Back to Top View kingvozzo's Profile Search for other posts by kingvozzo

sewcrazy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 12 2007 at 9:31am | IP Logged Quote sewcrazy

We are in our 7th year of homeschooling and are blessed to live in one of the easiest homeschooling states in the country, IL. I am not sure if I would have fought to homeschool. We were "accidental" homeschoolers. It was something that had never crossed my mind until a homeschooling famiy moved across the street at the same time we were have public school problems. When we pulled the kids out, it was only going to be until we found a "good' school for them. It took a lot of prayer and family meetings to realize we were the best school for our kids.

So thank you, thank you, thank you to those who came before me and left such a nice trail to follow.          

I do though believe that we need to be vigilent that those hard earned rights are not swept away by school districts, congressmen, or any other powers that be. Shame on the homeschooling family that treats keeping our rights is some other family's responsibility.

LeeAnn
Back to Top View sewcrazy's Profile Search for other posts by sewcrazy

Bookswithtea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 13 2007 at 9:04am | IP Logged Quote Bookswithtea

I feel your pain. I started a thread on another forum about this, but mostly got blank stares in response.

Hsing is changing, and I not sure its for the better. I do see new hsers and while some are deeply committed, many don't have a clue about what they are doing and have never read a book on it. I fear for our movement as a whole...those who don't know their history are condemned to repeat it.

~Books

mothering ds'93 dd'97 dd'99 dd'02 ds'05 ds'07 and due 9/10
Back to Top View Bookswithtea's Profile Search for other posts by Bookswithtea

folklaur
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 14 2007 at 6:48pm | IP Logged Quote folklaur

Oh, my goodness, I was just thinking about issues similar to this the other day.

In our state, it is easy to homeschool. Sometimes, that actualy worries me now. People are pulling their kids out of school left and right to "homeschool" -- but that isn't really what they are doing. And they pop the kids back in school after six months at home, and then yank them back out if they don't like their next teacher, etc.

We had so many new "homeschoolers" join the secular support group I was a part of over the last two years, whose childern had been expelled from PS due to behavior. Now they are "homeschoolers."    

I try to be VERY supportive to new homeschoolers all the time. But, I guess in all honesty, inside I feel a little frustrated. Our family made a committment to the homeshooling lifestyle. And sometimes it is REALLY HARD to homeschool, and it is always hard work (especially with my teenager .

Not that people shouldn't give it a try if they feel called to do so. But this back and forth and back and forth, in and out of school....that can't be good for a child, and I wonder what is the parent thinking? (I am sure there are some circumstances that can lead to a situation like this. That is not what I mean. I am meeting more and more people in our area who are just homeschooling "on a whim" so to speak...)

But I always feel so bad thinking this way
Back to Top View folklaur's Profile Search for other posts by folklaur

Bookswithtea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 14 2007 at 8:14pm | IP Logged Quote Bookswithtea

I kind of feel bad for thinking that way, too. But I am genuinely concerned.

A lot of the new homeschoolers I meet don't seem to have even thought about what they are doing. Many of them are using gov't programs and have never even heard of the different methods of homeschooling. They are so 'school at home' minded that they look at you funny if you even mention anything else. When you add in that great companies like Elijah Co are gone, Konos and FIAR are in trouble, and conference speakers are very often accelerated learning minded...the picture isn't pretty. I wonder if my children will even have hsing books like Real Learning or FIAR manuals available? Will my tattered copies of Educating the Wholehearted Child and A Charlotte Mason Companion and my print outs from Mater Amabilis be the only non traditional items available to them? Will anyone in 20 years even remember the other ways to homeschool? Will the gov't decide to insist on a certain method since no one is doing it the alternative way anymore?

Honestly, I'm not a conspiracy theorist by nature. I promise! But I'm concerned.

~Books

mothering ds'93 dd'97 dd'99 dd'02 ds'05 ds'07 and due 9/10
Back to Top View Bookswithtea's Profile Search for other posts by Bookswithtea

folklaur
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 14 2007 at 8:39pm | IP Logged Quote folklaur

Bookswithtea wrote:
Honestly, I'm not a conspiracy theorist by nature. I promise! But I'm concerned.

Yes, I know what you mean by the "school at home." Most of the people I am talking about actually don't even use any other curriculum - they use the "distance learning program" our county has for students in K-12. It is free, it is the exact same program as the public schools, they are required to test the same as the public schools (Terra Nova and AIMS). This is a big issue for me. Currently, we don't HAVE to do any standardized testing in AZ if you homeschool...UNLESS you are "homeschooling" through the district program.

I am worried how it will all end up....

marihalojen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 15 2007 at 9:40am | IP Logged Quote marihalojen

Oh, the memories! Kathy, I recall not going to the store during school hours very often, just to keep a low profile, you know. Of course, the "coughing fits" my sister and I used to pull while following my Mom around the store pretending to be sick might have had something to do with being granted the priviledge of staying at home. Do you think so?

SSR = Sailing, Snorkling, Reading
Back to Top View marihalojen's Profile Search for other posts by marihalojen Visit marihalojen's Homepage

ALmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 16 2007 at 2:59am | IP Logged Quote ALmom

Well the pioneers probably came about 10 years before me (and in our area, they were probably Protestant primarily) - but I've been at it for about 19 years now and I do remember all the cautions about not being out during normal school hours. I kept trying to figure out how you were supposed to shop or do PE or... but it really wasn't that bad here, though my sis, I think, knew people who went to jail. She started several years before I did (her dc are older than mine - and had to figure out a way to work around the only covers available then - all Protestant with statements of Faith. They substituted the Creed back then, but you also had to have your pastor's signature that you were a member of a Christian church.

Anyways, funny story. One mom had her worst nightmare happen with someone from DHR came to her door and want to come in. She was so nervous that she let them in and talked with them. Turns out they weren't even thinking of her as homeschooling. They thought she was running a daycare without a license and were fine once they realized the dc were all bona fide children of hers. Another mom had to be out with dc during school hours and felt so funny when she ran into the police - but turns out that officer and quite a few evidently, were homeschooling by then.

I'm really concerned here when mom's decide to homeschool in the last few months of Sr. year - pulling out of public schools when the dc cannot pass the exit exam. Evidently this is becoming pretty common in our area.

Janet
Back to Top View ALmom's Profile Search for other posts by ALmom

helene
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: June 16 2007 at 6:28am | IP Logged Quote helene

Kathy, I know you asked for no praise, but I have to give it to you. I have always been SO GRATEFUL for Moms like you who were so brave and upstanding in those pioneer days of homeschooling. May God re-pay you one thousand fold! Thank you from the bottom of my heart. I think about the early homeschoolers often and tenderly and I'm glad to have a real person here to thank. In a strong and quiet way you have greatly improved our society!

knowloveserve
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 16 2007 at 4:36pm | IP Logged Quote knowloveserve

You know, regardless of how one feels about the concept of duplicating govt. school packaged curriculum at home... you have to give credit to the parents who are actually THINKING and SEEING that the govt. schools aren't all they're cracked up to be. At least they are raising questions and not just mindlessly processing their kids through the system like cans of soup.

Honestly, I think the fear is mostly unwarranted about hs'ing future. The more people that do it, the more the "good news" will spread about other curriculum or NO curriculum alternatives...

It does take hard work and it does take commitment... and above all else it takes LOVE...

and the best things WE can do is show this LOVE whenever we can. That despite having 12 kids or whatever, we are still joyful... and we truly delight in our children... and we homeschool because we love their unique characters and learning styles and we truly enjoy spending time with our dear ones.

rose gardens
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: June 17 2007 at 6:51pm | IP Logged Quote rose gardens

Maturemomg wrote:
...lack of committment of many homeschoolers.   You have parents who mid-year pull a child out because they don't like the teacher, or their child is being bullied. Those may be valid reasons for homeschooling. But then the parent gets the child out and realizes that hsing is hard WORK, and that they don't LIKE being with their child that many hours every day. So they pop them back in. Then out again a year or two later and so on. I sense a lack of committment in many (not all) hsers these days.   It's the current fun/fad thing to do. ...
On the flip side, the back and forth from public school to home also reflects a lack of committment to formal schools too. I think the pendullum is swinging and many people believe that parents CAN teach their own children. Since most parents went through formal school, they may imitate that. I still have a vission of a green chalkboard in my head when I think of "school". New comers to home education might confuse "education" with "school".
Back to Top View rose gardens's Profile Search for other posts by rose gardens

Red Cardigan
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: June 18 2007 at 9:26pm | IP Logged Quote Red Cardigan

My mom was a homeschooling pioneer, who pulled us kids out of school when I was in tenth grade. I think because of her example I'm fully committed to homeschooling mine all the way through high school.

That said, we do use a more traditional curriculum (though I wouldn't call it 'school at home' exactly) and I think there's room in the homeschool tent for lots of different mindsets.

One thing I've encountered are homeschoolers who would really like to send their kids to Catholic schools, but can't afford it. That may be why they don't seem to have the commitment: they know they don't want public school but aren't really sure they can handle homeschooling, or think they'll just do it for the elementary grades, etc.

I think they need lots of support and encouragement!
Back to Top View Red Cardigan's Profile Search for other posts by Red Cardigan

folklaur
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 19 2007 at 12:13am | IP Logged Quote folklaur

Red Cardigan wrote:

That said, we do use a more traditional curriculum (though I wouldn't call it 'school at home' exactly) and I think there's room in the homeschool tent for lots of different mindsets.

I just want to say, in case I may have made myself misunderstood...which I do quite often...

I don't have a problem with a homeschool curriculum that is of the "school at home" variety - like Seton, for instance. What I was talking about, in my particular case here in my state, is the programs that are totally run by the state. They are distance learning programs, run by the Dept of Education of my state, done totally online, all overseen by state teachers, all governed by the state. The parents do not grade, the parents are not responsible for teaching - it is all done online, in both website format and real time online, with government teachers.

But the County calls them "Homeschoolers" (although HSLDA says they aren't), and requires them to take all the state tests - including the AIMS, which is a big deal here, because you can't graduate without passing the AIMS, and there were many teachers here who were unable to pass it. So, especially in the upper grades, it is all about teaching to the AIMS.

Now - homeschoolers NOT in this program are not required to test.

My concern is with how long will they allow this "double standard"?

I just wanted to be clear about what we were facing here in this area.

I would never want to give the impression that I think people should not try homeschooling if they are feeling called to it.

so anyway, back to lurking, and I am truly sorry if I said something wrong or if I was offensive in any way. I am really really sorry...     

Red Cardigan
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: June 19 2007 at 1:38am | IP Logged Quote Red Cardigan

If any misunderstanding happened, it's probably me!

I'm new to this forum, and am still sorting out all the differences, and learning the acronyms (truly, I used to read threads and mumble to myself, 'ok, what the heck is CM?').

So I get confused about whether 'school at home' means Seton, OLV, or another 'curriculum in a box' type program, or the kind of program you're talking about above, which I do think are kind of dangerous for those of us who truly want to be independent from the state.

I do get a little frustrated sometimes when I hear a Catholic hsing mom say, "Oh, yes, we're homeschooling this year, but next year we should have enough money to enroll the kids at St. Zita's," or some such thing; to me, the Catholic schools right now have to be so much in line with the state's requirements that they seem just like the public schools, except with Mass and religion class (which is important, of course, but how does it measure up against the secular approach in everything else??).

Sorry if that sounds too negative--I find myself thinking that maybe they talk about "St. Zita's" just to keep themselves sane on those days when the kids all act like they've got amnesia and wouldn't know a pronoun or a mixed number if they were attacked by one!
Back to Top View Red Cardigan's Profile Search for other posts by Red Cardigan

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version