Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Nurturing the Years of Wonder
 4Real Forums : Nurturing the Years of Wonder
Subject Topic: Rotating Materials Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Jordan
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: June 10 2007 at 3:22pm | IP Logged Quote Jordan

I've read a lot through here about rotating materials. Are there materials that you keep out all of the time or does everything get rotated? How much do you keep out at a time?

Thanks. : -)

Cheerios & Fingerpaints
Back to Top View Jordan's Profile Search for other posts by Jordan

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: June 10 2007 at 4:02pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Jordan -
I will be rotating!!! It's the only way to curb the chaos of stuff. My plan is to begin with very bare shelves - perhaps one or two things. I will review how to use the mats, review the rules for all materials - one thing out at a time, completely put away materials when done. Then, I will beging to introduce slowly. I may present math materials and then leave them out all year long, but these will be on a high shelf for the older children.

In short, I will be rotating, but so much of this is child led. I want to be flexible here. My rule is - once the child is bored with the activity, or if the child begins to abuse/misuse an activity, it goes to the rotation closet.

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 11 2007 at 10:59am | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

I plan to have out as much as I can, but some things it just makes sense to rotate. For example, though the botany cabinet will always be out, I can't have every science experiment out at once, nor would I want to. Knobbed cylinders will be introduced one block at a time until she becomes proficient at all of them, same with knobless.
Math materials will come and go as our focus changes and dd advances in knowledge.
Enrichment areas are one thing that will rotate frequently. One week I may have out pattern blocks and cards, the next I may have magnetix or puzzles or other things.
Art will be constantly rotating as she will be choosing from several different media. I will also have a different project out each week in either art or handiwork.
Practical life will have different offerings each week as well. Dd is pretty much past the basic pouring/spooning stage, but enjoys these types of activities and I need to make them more challenging for her all the time. She still needs to work with her dressing frames and lacing shapes, but these are things that I will put out only occasionally, in between other activities.
So, by rotating, that is what I have in mind.

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

Jordan
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: June 11 2007 at 4:59pm | IP Logged Quote Jordan

Jennifer and Theresa,

Thank you so much for answering my question. What you're saying sounds very practical to me--much more manageable than the alternative.

Once you present them, do you keep out your basic sensorial materials, such as the pink tower, brown rods, etc. or do those get rotated too? I'm trying to figure out how much space to clear out.

Up until recently, my daughter was enrolled in a Montessori school so seeing everything all put together there and then attempting to put together some semblance of it for her at home has boggled my mind. Like you say, it makes sense to tailor it to the child.

I will be reading through old posts here and trying to learn more.

Thank you so much.

Cheerios & Fingerpaints
Back to Top View Jordan's Profile Search for other posts by Jordan

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: June 11 2007 at 5:16pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Hard to say Jordan. In theory, I plan on rotating almost everything, but if an item is being used correctly and receives constant attention - I'll just leave it. I can't imagine that happening though - the boredom factor will come into play at some point!

I know what you mean about the challenge of translating Montessori to the home environment. Then there is the added challenge of multiple children of multiple ages - . Just as in our homes we cannot and should not recreate the "schoolroom" - we will not be able to recreate a Montessori classroom either. The learning and the challenges will be different. I take from Montessori what will suit my children and address their needs best, keeping in mind my budget and the limits of time. Her methods and materials are beautiful though, and I love having them in our home, and providing my dc the opportunity to investigate them.

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

AndreaG
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: June 11 2007 at 6:41pm | IP Logged Quote AndreaG

Here's how rotation worked for us this school year. I started with blank shelves. The I would present one or two (or sometimes 3) new materials a week and leave them out, until interest waned or they were misused. The pink tower and brown stair are still on the shelves from the fall- they were my daughter's favorites and were mostly used correctly. Most things go back into the closet more quickly, my boys being ages 5 and 8 don't repeat work as much as my daughter who is 3. Practical life trays NEEDED to be switched weekly or would become too messy. Actually next year I am hoping to stay more on top of putting things back in the closet- my shelves tend to get cluttered. I always think if I leave something out that hasn't gotten much use one more week they will use it- but really it works better to put it away and bring it out again at a later time. Like Theresa I do leave my Geometry cabinet out b/c it is hard to move.

Back to Top View AndreaG's Profile Search for other posts by AndreaG

Angel
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 11 2007 at 7:31pm | IP Logged Quote Angel

Right now I rotate books, which I keep in canvas bins, according to interest and also depending on what topics the older kids are working on. When I started out in the fall, I had wonderful intentions of rotating science trays... but that sort of fell by the way side. I think I may try to have ONE science tray or box this year, and do my best to keep up with it. (The one tray I made up last year was a magnet tray and my 4 yo loved it.)

In the past I have left things on the shelf for far too long. Really I think the shelves should be reorganized every few weeks at least. But I will definitely leave out anything that the kids are working with or show an interest in.

I think also it does depend on how appropriately the child or children use the material, too. I've had to remove stuff from the shelves because nobody was using it appropriately. I figured then that they just weren't ready for it, and I'd bring it out again some other time.

My biggest problem (aside from leaving stuff out too long and not introducing new stuff soon enough) is figuring out a balance between having too many choices out and too few. If a child completely ignores the language materials in favor of practical life (say), should all the language materials be put away? I don't think so, but I think I would definitely only put out a *few* language activities in comparison to the number of practical life activities I attempted to provide.

--Angela
Three Plus Two
Back to Top View Angel's Profile Search for other posts by Angel Visit Angel's Homepage

Meredith
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 11 2007 at 9:46pm | IP Logged Quote Meredith

Mackfam wrote:
In short, I will be rotating, but so much of this is child led. I want to be flexible here. My rule is - once the child is bored with the activity, or if the child begins to abuse/misuse an activity, it goes to the rotation closet.

This is how I will be doing our rotations as well. It will really be based on what each child is interested in and remains interested in. And then as new presentations are offered, the older material will move to a new location or be replaced. This is all theorectical thus far as we are just on the brink here but so far this method has been quite favorable!

Great question and glad to have you here with us!

Back to Top View Meredith's Profile Search for other posts by Meredith Visit Meredith's Homepage

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 11 2007 at 11:58pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

This is one of the things I will change about how I do this. I have a place in the basement with the things that are "out of rotation". I have things set up in those clear shoe boxes, stacked.

Back to Top View SuzanneG's Profile Search for other posts by SuzanneG

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version