Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: Ugh! Girl's swimsuits!! Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Bella
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: June 09 2007 at 8:57pm | IP Logged Quote Bella

Dd is faced again with the desire to wear a two piece. Last year, I ordered a *tankini* from Landsend-very modest, as it showed less than two centimeters of belly.

This year, dd is back on the swimteam, and I've had to order a team suit that cost $40. She has no desire to wear that every day we are at the pool. Putting more pressure on her is the fact that all of her neighborhood friends will be wearing either bikinis or tankinis from local stores-which reveal way more than the Landsend suits!

We do not want to spend the $$ on another expensive suit. Nor do I want her to be showing too much belly. FYI- she is 10.5, and is nowhere near an obvious pre-puberty. Hormones-yes! Body-no.

How do you handle this?

Thankyou for any comments and/or suggestions.

Warmly,
Christy
Back to Top View Bella's Profile Search for other posts by Bella

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 09 2007 at 9:59pm | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

I hate to say it, but just say "no."
If you feel like a 2 piece suit is not modest, then stick to your guns. Your dd may not like it, but she will respect you for it in the end. Besides, if you cave now, and she is only 10, then what happens when she is 15 and the hormones really hit the fan?
I know it isn't easy, but you can do it!

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

florasita
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 09 2007 at 10:24pm | IP Logged Quote florasita

Can you wear shorts at your pool like the guys do ?
We just wear shorts both girls and boys .
I love bikini tops personally . not the thin little ones but the tanki or the really well made halter style ones . I can't stand the bottoms .I personally wear cutoffs as I'm an old lady and fashion doesn't matter to me but for the younger girls those haiwian style shorts are great .I buy the guy ones and you can hem them a bit but just above the knee like a cut off they are light and nice for swimming they are actually made for guys swimming trunks now . They are also lined with that mesh stuff which I like . ds gave me his when he out grew them . Made of 100% cotton too most of these shorts .
very very comfy . however if you are a one piece momma and it bothers you it is not wrong or mean to say no to your child just means you lov em lots
My mother's family grew up on the lake my great grandmother was catholic the only time anyone ever saw her undergarments was at the lake it was just a given when bathing people took off thier outer clothes . I think the body is so viewed in a distorted sexual light since then . Then again I'm sure our kind may be considered heathens to some
Go with what you are comfortable with and you know your own child and boundries etc. Beleive me having two adult dd now they've thanked me for being strong in the past

May I rise & rest with words of Gratitude on my Breath
May I have the Heart & Mind of a Child in my Depth
May I forever remember to be a Light
May Peace Love & Hope be My Sight
Back to Top View florasita's Profile Search for other posts by florasita Visit florasita's Homepage

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 10 2007 at 2:08am | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

you can look here for a decent quality racing style suit without the high cost..

http://www.swimoutlet.com

Very good luck getting suits there.. and good customer service (had a wrong size swim diaper get sent and they fixed it up very quickly and to my benefit)

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

Lisbet
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 10 2007 at 5:47am | IP Logged Quote Lisbet

I have a 10 year old girl also, and she may have some input on her swimsuit, but the final decision is mine. I would just say no, let's keep looking! :) I ended up buy a plain tank suit from Lands End and a few pair of board shorts from the thrift store that match. She loves it because she can move and climb in and out of the pool without worrying about exposing or adjusting all the time.

Abby, 15
Gabe, 13
Isaac, 11
Mary, 10
Sam, 9
Henry, 7
Molly, 6
Mark, 5
Greta, 3
Cecilia born 10.29.10
Josephine born 6.11.12
Back to Top View Lisbet's Profile Search for other posts by Lisbet

teachingmyown
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 10 2007 at 1:34pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmyown

We went for the tank with board shorts from ll bean this summer for my 11yr old. She is very comfortable and well covered. I presented it with the argument that does she want to worry about what is hanging out where and always adjusting her suit? We also discussed modesty and the need to keep covered. But whether she agreed or not, that was the best she was getting!

Remembering Today
Back to Top View teachingmyown's Profile Search for other posts by teachingmyown Visit teachingmyown's Homepage

marianne
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: June 10 2007 at 1:52pm | IP Logged Quote marianne

A modest, quality Lands End tankini (that's cute as anything, too) is worth the money for us. That is all dd wears to the pool - many of the other brands at the mall are so thin that you can see right through them. And the styles that we find do cover her tummy completely even though they are tankinis. LL Bean has a couple of cute ones, too.

Tina P.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 10 2007 at 6:00pm | IP Logged Quote Tina P.

Christy:

Often stores like Land's End or LL Bean have sales on suits so that they're not soooo outrageously priced. Check online. You can find more offerings online than through a catalog also.

5athome
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: June 10 2007 at 9:05pm | IP Logged Quote 5athome

We just bought 2 Speedo brand tank suits at TJ Maxx -- one a cute floral and one a solid with different color piping on the edges. DD loved them and they were 7.99.

ds '08
Back to Top View 5athome's Profile Search for other posts by 5athome

CAgirl4God
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: June 10 2007 at 10:22pm | IP Logged Quote CAgirl4God

I found boy board shorts for my dd, she loves them and they cover more for sun too. I paired them with a tank top from another set.

my other dds have tankinis... one halter top and one regular. they cover enough, but they are young.

this year we are in the same boat of finding some more suit, but that cover adequately.

I will let you know what we find in a couple of weeks, lol.

Jamie, married to John
JC, Nugget, Christina & Judy
Chowder
Back to Top View CAgirl4God's Profile Search for other posts by CAgirl4God

Bella
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 10 2007 at 10:54pm | IP Logged Quote Bella

Thankyou Ladies!!

After going to the pool today, my mind was made up that no WAY is my dd going to show too much skin! It is horrible how old little girls are looking due to the suit they are wearing. So sad.

After looking online, dd is picking a suit from LL Bean that is a tankini-very modest and cute. The added bonus was that it is on sale!

Molly- your line of reasoning is almost exactly the same as I explained to dd.

Thanks again,
Christy
Back to Top View Bella's Profile Search for other posts by Bella

teachingmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Virginia Bluebells

Posted: June 11 2007 at 12:04am | IP Logged Quote teachingmom

My two oldest have always worn speedo tank style suits up until now. This year they both requested one suit that is more stylish, like a tankini. While the Lands End ones are modest for many girls, mine are too long waisted for them. The ones I ordered showed an inch or two of skin, and I ended up returning them. We didn't give up, however, and finally found a tankini for both of the girls (one from Sears and one from Target). They cover as well as their old tank style one piece suits, but look more up to date and stylish. We are all happy.   

Bookswithtea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 11 2007 at 7:39am | IP Logged Quote Bookswithtea

My two little girls have the tankinis from Lands End this year. They don't ride up even when they raise their arms and they don't have problems getting off their suits to use the bathroom now either, now. Woohoo!

My 10.5 yr old has a tank suit from LL Bean along with a matching skirt this year. She didn't want board shorts because they look too boyish and I was stuck between the modesty issue and what was clearly a femininity issue to her.

Definitely stick to your guns. Just tell her its out of the question because Jesus would not like it!

~Books

mothering ds'93 dd'97 dd'99 dd'02 ds'05 ds'07 and due 9/10
Back to Top View Bookswithtea's Profile Search for other posts by Bookswithtea

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version