Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: Your bathroom decor Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Michaela
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: June 07 2007 at 4:22am | IP Logged Quote Michaela

I just blogged about painting our bathroom.

I'm looking for ideas of what to put up on the wall.
I draw blanks when it comes to decorating.

What do you have on your bathroom wall?   

Cheryl
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 07 2007 at 5:05am | IP Logged Quote Cheryl

Nothing yet. Oooooh I can't wait to see what everyone says.

Back to Top View Cheryl's Profile Search for other posts by Cheryl Visit Cheryl's Homepage

Bridget
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 07 2007 at 6:50am | IP Logged Quote Bridget

On our main floor bathroom, which is the one that gets used the most, I have a bunch of those vinyl learning place mats tacked up on the wall. Very classy.

But the kids tell me they know their states, planets etc. from those place mats.

Back to Top View Bridget's Profile Search for other posts by Bridget Visit Bridget's Homepage

guitarnan
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 07 2007 at 7:02am | IP Logged Quote guitarnan

Our powder room is patriotic. I have some little wooden things (Cat's Meow and others) on a small pine shelf, plus Yankee Candles in red, white and blue (handy at those not-so-fragrant times!). A tin "reproduction vintage" sign about "battleship soap" (dh is a battleship sailor). Rustic r/w/b wooden heart wall hanging. Red towels. Pine towel bar. Ugly medicine cabinet; we have our eye on a pine one from the unfinished furniture place.

Upstairs kids' bath is lighthouses. Lighthouse shower curtain. Blue towels. Several framed postcards (nice frugal way to get small prints!) of photos of French lighthouses and fishing boats. Lighthouse plaques (?) of resin with 2 different lighthouses, from my m-i-l.

I don't have wall colors; everything is neutral because we rent our house out when we can't live in it. The decor of our bathrooms is the same in every house we move to...

Master bath is hideous...don't ask. It's sage green, though, which I do like.

Mary Chris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 07 2007 at 8:22am | IP Logged Quote Mary Chris

Michaela,

Your bathroom looks great! We recently painted our childrens' bathroom too. Ours it bright blue! I picked it to go with the shower curtain we had not realizing we were going to replace the shower curtain with a door. It is really bright, I think it is called Ocean Sigh. I'll take a picture after I clean the bathroom

Carole N.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 07 2007 at 8:24am | IP Logged Quote Carole N.

I am so blessed to have rour bathrooms. The downstairs bathroom is currently being redone. It will be blue, so we will have a sort of patriotic feel in that room.

The upstair guest bath is sunflowers--green below the chair rail, yellow above with sunflower wallpaper border at the chair rail.

Children's bathroom is blue with a nautical theme. Fish on the wallpaper border.

Our bathroom is ... Tuscany. Large wallpaper border (20 inces) with huge pots of creamy roses and tulips. Muted tones of green below and goldish above. Dark wrought iron wall fixtures. Very relaxing at bathtime! I do have an old antiquey map of Cayman Islands hanging in there ... it was a before marriage purchase that I love.

Cheryl
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 07 2007 at 8:57am | IP Logged Quote Cheryl

Michaela,

Even though my walls are bare, I thought I share my plans with you. I bought a few Cheri Blum prints that I found at Michael's. They were matted and fairly cheap. I still need frames for them. I'm going to hang them in my master bath. I'm still looking for something else (not a framed print) to go along with them.

In the kids' bath, I'm going to hang some of their artwork, when I have extra time.

For our laundry room bath, I was thinking about hanging some photos of the Canadian Rockies, where my dh and I honeymooned.

I don't know what to go along with photos. I need something with a different texture, maybe 3D.

Bridget, I think the bathroom is a great place to learn. When I was a kid, I remember reading the backs of Kleenex boxes. I definitely want my dc to have something better to read.

Back to Top View Cheryl's Profile Search for other posts by Cheryl Visit Cheryl's Homepage

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 07 2007 at 9:10am | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

Mine is greens..

the walls were white but that made the off white tiles in the tub look odd.. but the floor was white too.. so I sponged an offwhite over the white walls.. to blend things together.. worked great.

Then I have the window frame and mirror frame painted dark green (eventually also want the baseboards dk green) and the "overhang" part of the upper wall (over the sink and toilet) has a pine branch wallpaper border.

I have a dark green shower curtain

Towels are lots of different shades of green.. mainly dark green and sage green (the grey-green, not yellow green)

There's a sawblade picture of the Redwoods over the hand towel holder.. on one side of the sink.

And I have a lovly tree identification poster that I want to get framed (dark green frame) for the wall opposite the mirror over the towel racks.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

florasita
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 07 2007 at 10:05am | IP Logged Quote florasita

We have a very old bathroom as our home is 1904 the tub is just awesome would never trade it . nice white sort of octogon shaqped little tiles on the floor and larger rectangular tiled walls half way up then a row of black shiney tile as a border and white little tiles with just a small touch of orange . dh put in cieling fan to help with mold and did a heavy duty wall paper which I do not like . I prefer piant . we really vary on taste in colour I tend to like bright or soft colours he likes greys browns what I would call depressing or yucky so the wall paper is a grey although light I still don't like it .It has just a tinge of ornage in it . I'm more a blue , white , yellow person to keep it bright .
What I absolutely love is the tub it is cast iron I think and not a claw foot but totally closed off so easy to claen
the other feature that dh put in at my request is a really nice little wooden shelf just natural pine colour right beside the sink .It holds all our tooth brusing items cups, toothpaste , salt , baking soda , floss etc. we just did not have enough room in the bathroom little medicine chest for all that stuff .
   we have a basement batrhroom dh put in .It has toilet and sink .I raely use it it is for dh and the boys when they've been working etc. or if someone is bathing upstairs it is a quick run to use the basement . I personally would not appreciate one more bathroom and in fact long for a cottage with a biffy This is coming from a mum who is tired of caring for a 3 story home and wishes for a bungalow
Baby is crying gotta run . Rox

May I rise & rest with words of Gratitude on my Breath
May I have the Heart & Mind of a Child in my Depth
May I forever remember to be a Light
May Peace Love & Hope be My Sight
Back to Top View florasita's Profile Search for other posts by florasita Visit florasita's Homepage

Tina P.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 07 2007 at 10:36am | IP Logged Quote Tina P.

Our contractor told us to turn the main floor bathroom into a bathroom/laundry room. I just can't think of doing that, since that's the bathroom that all of our guests will use and our laundry room (when we finally get one) will be the most out of control room in the house (I hope)! Bridget, I love your mainfloor bathroom idea. You must have learning space in every corner of your house. Our mainfloor bathroom only gets a bug jar on the counter every now and again.

It is tiny, only a half bath, but I think it serves its purpose. The counter is ugly and eventually needs to be replaced. I think I would like to tile the floor (the floor in this bathroom is currently hard wood). And with four boys, I *definitely* need tile up the wall behind and around the toilet. It's papered in a 1970s green now and when the boys miss, the paper, being porous, takes in the smells.

Nancy, do you have any extra candles? Your description of the "not-so-fragrant times" cracked me up. Your bathrooms sound charming. You can come remodel my bathroom anytime!

Anyone up for hosting a loveliness fair for bathrooms?

ann@home
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: June 07 2007 at 2:06pm | IP Logged Quote ann@home

I like your shower curtain, I think it's the one we have
I picked up a neat ceramic fish at an art show and hung that up. We also got a whimsical picture that is kid friendly with a pond scene with fish, frogs, etc. that is on our largest wall.
I have a small glass jar with shells that we got in Mexico on the vanity.
I try to use things that have meaning or that are handmade. I want to be surrounded my comfortable things, not just store bought to fill space and match a color KWIM?

If you had pictures of the kids in the bathtub or pool I think that would be really cute on the wall too!

I actually like the idea of the the vinyl placemat on the wall-especially if you could put a frame on the wall that you could easily slide a different placemat into as you wanted to change it for the season or topic. I might just try that!

Fuzzy
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: June 07 2007 at 3:44pm | IP Logged Quote Fuzzy

My main level bathroom is green (on the darkish side, same as a wall in my dining room), and I found some black and white framed pictures on Clearance at Target. I love the contrast! That is my half bath, and the one for my guests.

The kids bathroom is blue (think bright royal blue!), to match a photo online that I saw to go with the shower curtain. The walls are soo small that I haven't put anything up but the blue.

Our master Bathroom is HUGE, with cathedral ceilings, and we just painted it Red (sherwin williams, Tanager). I want to put some kind of big sconce or large picture on the wall over our big tub. I love candles in that tub, especially when I take relaxing baths. It is a huge tub, and comfortable to be in with contractions.

I always feel that if you have some fun accents in the bathroom (soap dispenser, candle holder) it gives it a nice decorated feel. I think a nice fish/ocean print would be great over the towel rack. I'll bet you could go to Marshalls/Burlington Coat Factory to find a picture and hand towel to go with the shower curtain.

Can't wait to see!

Back to Top View Fuzzy's Profile Search for other posts by Fuzzy Visit Fuzzy's Homepage

Michaela
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 07 2007 at 5:24pm | IP Logged Quote Michaela

Bridget, I've been searching for those placemats, but the stores are always soldout when I come along. I like the idea of putting them in the bathroom. My children, especially my oldest, take books to the bathroom to read.

Nancy, your description hints that you 'have it together'. If you're ever on the west coast, I'm looking for a decorator.   

Mary Chris, I'd love to see pics. I understand having to straighten up prior to taking a picture. I'd prefer a blue paint (Ocean Sigh) to help complete the bathroom. When we get our own home I'll be able to have some fun with the paint.

Cheryl, the Cheri Blum prints are gorgeous. In my price range, too.       They are so nice that I'd have to find a place for them somewhere....livingroom, dinigroom, hall, something!

Carole, if I knew how to decorate (pulling it all together), I would decorate my entire house in a Tuscan style!!! Inside and out, hands down!! That's all I talk about to my DH! I just don't know how to do it. Plus, changing from eclectic to Tuscan is $$$.

I'm right there with you, Rox. We have 2.5 bathrooms and all that means to me is more cleaning to do. Someone help me with the boys-missing-the-toilet!! Tina, yes, I know first hand how gross it is on the wallpaper & the floor (our bathrooms are the fake wood...soaks up every drop & warps. We may change the floor too! My mom would probably go for it...if we paid)

Ann, my kids and I love the idea of putting pictures of them at the lake, pool, and/or bathtub. It's very personal & fits the theme in a way I wouldn't have ever thought of!! It's a great reason to go to the beach w/ the camera this weekend!     

Fuzzy, I love'd love to see pictures of your bathroom. I'm always impressed when someone isn't afraid to use color. The red sounds like something I'd like to see.

You are all so creative! I've only seen bathroom with the wall clock in it that spells....B-A-T-H. I've never thought of personalizing the bathroom beyond the shower curtain & matching accessories...and paint color. Not creative forest prints or photographs of special places we've been.

Thank you all for taking the time to answer!! I didn't know I could get so excited about bathrooms.    

Philothea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 07 2007 at 7:06pm | IP Logged Quote Philothea

We have four. All of them have tan tile floors and shower surrounds, stainless steel and chrome fixtures, and honey oak cabinets (except the downstairs guest bath, which has white cabinets).

The main level powder room is painted light olive green and has a picture of a pink flower hung on the wall, with the mirror framed in mosaic tile in pinks, tans and greens.

The downstairs guest bath is painted robins egg blue with a yellow, teal and lime green leaf print shower curtain, yellow rug and lime green towels. I also have a porcelain soap dispenser, trash can and kleenex cover that coordinate with the shower curtain. I am looking for a nice picture to hang in there, something tropical to go with the shower curtain, probably.

The upstairs kids' bath is painted a creamy white and has a fun modern floral shower curtain in light blue, white, olive green and tan. There is shelf over the toilet with a small and sort of generic picture of a blue bar of soap that is matted with the word "cleansing" on it and a sand dollar or something next to it, and a blue candle. There are blue and tan accents all over the room -- tan for the trash can, towels and rug, blue for the sink accessories.

Our bath is a work in progress. It is currently painted pale green with some pressed leaves in dark wood frames and some dark bronze modern wall-mount candle sconces. I really want to gut the bathroom and retile it with something more natural looking than the smooth porcelain tile, and change the old cabinets from honey oak to ones with a cherry or espresso finish, plus add a partial wall to give the toilet area some privacy. I think I want to go with tans, creams and pale pinks in there when all is said and done, with a cherry blossom theme. We will see when that happens.
Back to Top View Philothea's Profile Search for other posts by Philothea

guitarnan
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 07 2007 at 8:50pm | IP Logged Quote guitarnan

LOL Michaela! I am so not together. The bathrooms are the only rooms that stay the same from move to move...because they are small! I didn't inherit my mom's great decorating talent. Sigh.

She's redone her entire downstairs (moved walls, relocated bathrooms, etc.) and her powder room is now in tan with some kind of artwork on the wall...don't know what. She was talking about having an artist do textured paint effects on the walls in varying shades of dark tan, and then having her paint a darker tan tree of some kind into the corner of the bathroom...??? I am sure it will all look awesome, knowing my mom, but I can't picture it. I'm sending ds out there (across country) to do some reconnaissance. Sadly, he probably will only be able to tell me that the bathroom was moved...

Matilda
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 07 2007 at 9:22pm | IP Logged Quote Matilda

We just remodeled our kid's bath and our half bath last fall. The kid's bath only has a picture of Norman Rockwell's Girl at the Mirror. I wanted to add a little "girlie" touch since the dark wood medicine cabinet and sink cabinet made it feel very manly. Since we have an even split of boys and girls we wanted it to be fair.

I have never been a huge fan of Norman Rockwell, but I really liked that picture.

Waltzing Matilda
Back to Top View Matilda's Profile Search for other posts by Matilda

Fuzzy
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: June 08 2007 at 9:06am | IP Logged Quote Fuzzy

Nancy, I have to agree with you! There's something about a bathroom that makes it an easy thing to decorate, because it is so small.

Michaela, I am not sure how to share pictures on here! I'll try and see what happens. I like the red, it could be darker, but it has a nice, warm feel to it. I don't put on make-up on in there, so I am not worried about the change (improvement ) in my skin tone.

My favorite is definitely my green bathroom. The prints that I have are all Paris pictures, and it makes me think of my travels in France.   

Back to Top View Fuzzy's Profile Search for other posts by Fuzzy Visit Fuzzy's Homepage

CKwasniewski
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 08 2007 at 3:36pm | IP Logged Quote CKwasniewski

Michaela,
Just wanted to say that I got my placemats through Rainbow Resource--they have a lot of variety.

CK
Back to Top View CKwasniewski's Profile Search for other posts by CKwasniewski

Mrs.K
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: June 08 2007 at 11:01pm | IP Logged Quote Mrs.K

So Bridget, are you related to the Gilbreths?

My blogPondered in My Heart
Jesus,I trust in You!
Back to Top View Mrs.K's Profile Search for other posts by Mrs.K

Bridget
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 09 2007 at 12:58pm | IP Logged Quote Bridget

I don't think so but I did read that when they originally immigrated to the USA they spelled their last name the same way we do. A judge misspelled it on some document and they didn't have the resources to get it changed back.

I do love the stories of learning stuff on the bathroom walls and the language records etc.   

Back to Top View Bridget's Profile Search for other posts by Bridget Visit Bridget's Homepage

Page of 2 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version