Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Exploring God's Creation in Nature and Science
 4Real Forums : Exploring God's Creation in Nature and Science
Subject Topic: camping with little ones Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
saintanneshs
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: July 02 2005 at 10:22am | IP Logged Quote saintanneshs

I don't know if this is the right spot to post this, but since it has to do with the "outdoors" I thought I'd try here 1st. We are taking our kids (5,4,2 and 7 mos) on our 1st camping trip next weekend. I've been camping all my life, but have never gone with little ones, especially a baby. (The campsite is one I'm really familiar with and we plan to fish-I've never done this- and do a little bit of tubing...the water is soooo slow and I can stand the whole way if I have to.) My family (mom & dad, sisters and their hubbies) are coming too so I'll have extra hands, but I was worrying about the baby and sleeping in the tent with her (she's a light sleeper). It's a big tent and we have room for a Pack n'Play inside in case she won't fall asleep beside me with all of her brothers right there too.

Any suggestions on camping with a toddler and baby?

Erica Sanchez
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 02 2005 at 7:03pm | IP Logged Quote Erica Sanchez

Kristine,

We've camped with toddlers and babies all along. I've always thought the babies were easier than toddlers, because we could carry them around all day in a front pack or whatever. They stay very clean that way, unlike the toddler!!    I just seemed to nurse the babies more at night, because I knew everyone in the campground would hear if they cried. When they were super small, like 2 months old, they slept in their car seat right next to me, because I was afraid to have them in the sleeping bag. We've definately used the portable cribs as well. The only thing I can think of for your toddler is extra changes of clothes! It must just be because they are so close to the ground, but gee, they get filthy!!! Oh, do any of the little ones use a high chair? We found it very helpful to have one of those plastic little chairs with a tray that can go on a chair. Dh was able to use the straps to secure the seat on the picnic table bench. Sometimes the campground tables are big and awkward for the little ones to use well.

What fun!! We're still on a vacation "high" from our drive through California where we did some camping. Our youngest is 2 years old, so it was actually pretty easy!

Good luck! I'm sure you will have a wonderful time!

Back to Top View Erica Sanchez's Profile Search for other posts by Erica Sanchez

MacBeth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Probably at the beach...

Posted: July 03 2005 at 5:44pm | IP Logged Quote MacBeth

Kristine, I have camped with the little ones from about 5 weeks old. Erica's right! They are so easy at this age.

I have found the book Adventuring with Children to be most helpful with ideas on diapering, laundry, feed, etc. for little ones, even in the most exotic loactions.

Nature Study
MacBeth's Blog
Back to Top View MacBeth's Profile Search for other posts by MacBeth Visit MacBeth's Homepage

saintanneshs
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 05 2005 at 10:56pm | IP Logged Quote saintanneshs

Thank you, Erica and MacBeth! I'll use your suggestions and check out that book! KOA, here we come!

saintanneshs
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 10 2005 at 4:01pm | IP Logged Quote saintanneshs

Erica and MacBeth, I just wanted to say thank you again. We just got back (the kids are bathed and resting and now I have to get to work unpacking) but we had such a wonderful time that I couldn't wait to share how exciting it is to try something new and seemingly hard (like camping with a baby) and have it turn out so well. My brain is a bit tired from all of the planning and organizing, but it was well worth it. We will definitely be camping again in the fall!

Erica Sanchez
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 11 2005 at 2:59pm | IP Logged Quote Erica Sanchez

So glad to hear it went so well!!!   

Back to Top View Erica Sanchez's Profile Search for other posts by Erica Sanchez

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version