Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: Comfortable Shoes Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
JSchaaf
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: May 28 2007 at 7:17pm | IP Logged Quote JSchaaf

I've found myself wearing skirts and dresses more, and my usual footwear of white ankle athletic socks and new balance running shoes just look a little "not right".

I'm looking for a comfortable pair of shoes that I can wear with a dress or jeans. Preferably without socks, since summer is full-on here. No flip flops or toes showing.

Any suggestions??
Thanks!
Jennifer
Back to Top View JSchaaf's Profile Search for other posts by JSchaaf

juststartn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 28 2007 at 7:25pm | IP Logged Quote juststartn

I got a great pair of ballet slipper type shoes--very comfortable, and easy to slip off (I generally go barefoot, unless I am outside of the house, lol). I also have a pair of brown slip on loaferish type shoes. Brown leather, and a pair of white ballet slipper type shoes. Comfy, both of them, with good slip=resistant soles (very important for me).

Anyway, hth!

Rachel (a skirt/dress wearing momma of five)

Sophia 4/19/04
John 5/7/07
David 5/7/07
Ava Maria, in the arms of Jesus, 9/5/08
Back to Top View juststartn's Profile Search for other posts by juststartn

KellyJ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 29 2007 at 12:32pm | IP Logged Quote KellyJ

I like loafers & other leather slips ons. I recently got a pair of sandal-like slip ons: link. Mine are a darker brown than shown. I got them at a local store. I definitely recommend trying to get something locally, even if you find it online first, just so you can try it on. Though, apparently, a number of online shoe places have some speedy and free shipping and return services.

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: May 30 2007 at 7:17am | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Ugh Jennifer - I'm right there with you. Finding the perfect sandal So far I've just ended up with Walmart stuff, which is really not bad in their Earth Shoe line, but I've been trying not to shop there lately.

What you're looking for is called a Fisherman sandal - open back, sandal look, all leather, but there is a toe box, usually woven or straps of leather. The toe box is closed enough that toes don't show, but open-ish for happy summer breezes Good luck finding them! I checked Zappos and a few other online sources, but haven't had any luck yet! PLEASE post again if you find them as I have been searching awhile.

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 30 2007 at 7:30am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Well, the idea of comfort is so important for me that I pay up for Euro Comfort, but my shoes really last. Ecco, Mephisto, Dansko, Beautifeel, Naot are a few brands that are just heavenly comfort to me. I have several feet problems that need support.

I buy most of my shoes from The Walking Company, but most shoes they have are available on Zappos perhaps cheaper (but I like to try on shoes). In the Walking Company's casual comfort section there are several options that might work for you. I buy Mary Jane style, and for the summer heat the open middle Mary Jane might work for you (see Dansko Gabrielle).

Just an idea, although expensive.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Maturemomg
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: May 30 2007 at 9:43am | IP Logged Quote Maturemomg

I have a nice pair of backless tennis shoes from Land's End- a flower print.
Also Birkenstock makes some clog type comfy shoes.
Back to Top View Maturemomg's Profile Search for other posts by Maturemomg

DominaCaeli
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 30 2007 at 12:56pm | IP Logged Quote DominaCaeli

juststartn wrote:
I got a great pair of ballet slipper type shoes--very comfortable, and easy to slip off

This is the style I wear too--they look great with skirts and can go from casual to dressy. I got mine at Payless, but I have found them to be surprisingly comfortable.

Celeste
Back to Top View DominaCaeli's Profile Search for other posts by DominaCaeli

juststartn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 30 2007 at 3:20pm | IP Logged Quote juststartn

I got some at Rack Room a while back, on sale, lol.

Rachel

Sophia 4/19/04
John 5/7/07
David 5/7/07
Ava Maria, in the arms of Jesus, 9/5/08
Back to Top View juststartn's Profile Search for other posts by juststartn

BrendaPeter
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 31 2007 at 6:11am | IP Logged Quote BrendaPeter

JennGM wrote:
Well, the idea of comfort is so important for me that I pay up for Euro Comfort, but my shoes really last. Ecco, Mephisto, Dansko, Beautifeel, Naot are a few brands that are just heavenly comfort to me. I have several feet problems that need support.

Hi Jenn,

I'm with you on the comfort aspect. Just wondering, since you've seen many of these shoes up close, which ones have the best arch support? I bought a pair of Naot sandals last year and they don't have the arch support of a Birkenstock (which I need for heel spurs).

Thx!

Brenda (mom to 6)
Back to Top View BrendaPeter's Profile Search for other posts by BrendaPeter

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 31 2007 at 8:20am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

BrendaPeter wrote:
JennGM wrote:

Hi Jenn,

I'm with you on the comfort aspect. Just wondering, since you've seen many of these shoes up close, which ones have the best arch support? I bought a pair of Naot sandals last year and they don't have the arch support of a Birkenstock (which I need for heel spurs).

Sandals are a different ball of wax, because they don't have the uppers to support the foot. I've got the flat feet and metatarsal arch problems. I would agree, my Naot Kayla sandals aren't as supportive as others...I don't choose them for all day comfort.

For arch support they recommend cork beds. The one sandal I've worn for years (and about to get replacement) is Walking Co's own Sushi. It's a spandex type of strap across the foot, so with the cork bed and the strap, it's very comfy.

But the most comfortable, most supportive sandals are the Mephisto. I'm planning to budget a pair this summer. I don't think they are the prettiest or most flattering -- but they are heavenly comfort!

That's why I don't buy shoes online. I like to ask the salesman (who is trained) which would work for my feet problems, and then try it on for my own personal decision. And some brands run shorter than others...I think Mephisto is generally shorter. Birkenstock is bit "harder" and longer break-in time inside the beds for me.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: May 31 2007 at 8:33am | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

JennGM wrote:

That's why I don't buy shoes online. I like to ask the salesman (who is trained) which would work for my feet problems, and then try it on for my own personal decision.

I was afraid of that. This thread has been helpful to me since I've suspected that I'm just going to have to make an investment here - foot problems started after my last pregnancy. And some shoes really seem to make it worse! I need the advice of a good shoe person, which is basically non-existent these days! The closest store (can't remember the name - the one you suggested Jenn) is 2 hours away from me, so I'd have to figure gas into the price of shoes too!! But I long for a good fit and some sound advice! What to do here???? Just pondering out loud. I really wish there was a store closer because it seems to cater to exactly what I'm looking for.

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 31 2007 at 8:50am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Mackfam wrote:
JennGM wrote:

That's why I don't buy shoes online. I like to ask the salesman (who is trained) which would work for my feet problems, and then try it on for my own personal decision.

I was afraid of that. This thread has been helpful to me since I've suspected that I'm just going to have to make an investment here - foot problems started after my last pregnancy. And some shoes really seem to make it worse! I need the advice of a good shoe person, which is basically non-existent these days! The closest store (can't remember the name - the one you suggested Jenn) is 2 hours away from me, so I'd have to figure gas into the price of shoes too!! But I long for a good fit and some sound advice! What to do here???? Just pondering out loud. I really wish there was a store closer because it seems to cater to exactly what I'm looking for.

Jennifer, a few more ideas. I haven't tried it, but I heard that Zappos has free return shipping...sometimes free shipping to your house, too.

I was so oblivious of how to buy good shoes until I went to an Orthopedist, and they had a sheet of local stores that had trained staff and proper shoes. That might be a good option...call a local orthopedist or podiatrist office to see if they can recommend local stores, or ask someone who uses that kind of doctor. I just had no idea there were those kind of little shops around. Communities that have lots of elderly have need of good fitting shoes (diabetic and other needs).

msclavel
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 31 2007 at 9:19am | IP Logged Quote msclavel

My husband's family owned a shoe store that did extensive orthopedic work and build ups for shoes. I cannot tell how extremely important it is to be able to try on shoes and talk to a knowledgeable salesman, particularly if you have problems. Also, the biggest problem he saw in women was buying shoes that were a size (or two!) too small. Sadly, Jenn a lot of those little stores really struggle, especially if they also had a focus on shoe repair. In our Walmart world, who repairs shoes anymore?
Back to Top View msclavel's Profile Search for other posts by msclavel

Matilda
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 31 2007 at 10:30am | IP Logged Quote Matilda

A friend who is a licensed massage therapist recommended some shoes to me called Ariat. You can only find them in western wear stores or places where boots are sold, but they don't just make boots. They have clogs and sandals too. She wore a pair while she was on her feet for 12 straight hours and had no back pain, foot pain or neck pain at the end of the day.

She said they are pricey when not on sale but well worth the money.

I haven't tried them myself but am passing along her recommendation.

Waltzing Matilda
Back to Top View Matilda's Profile Search for other posts by Matilda

orchdork
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: May 31 2007 at 10:57am | IP Logged Quote orchdork

I like the brand SOFFT.
It is new to me.
I really like Dansko,they are sooo comfortable; but my husband said they aren’t attractive on me.
So, I went in search of a comfortable shoe that was pleasing to both of us.
I like Nordstrom because most times postage is $5.00. It would cost me more than that to go to town to purchase. Returning is easy! http://shop.nordstrom.com/C/2384534/0~2376778~2372811~238453 4?origin=2374239_Select+a+Brand2374239
Back to Top View orchdork's Profile Search for other posts by orchdork

Celeste
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: May 31 2007 at 11:06am | IP Logged Quote Celeste

I checked our local Western store and found lots of Ariat boots, "terrain" shoes, and these.

Although every pair of shoes I looked at my 10yo daughter said, "Not you, Mom."

Celeste
Back to Top View Celeste's Profile Search for other posts by Celeste

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 31 2007 at 12:00pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

I second using Zappos.....their return process is the absolute BEST....so easy and no cost to you. It's a GREAT company!

Also, I have worn orthotics since the age of 16, so I see my PODIATRIST on a regular basis. But, if your insurance covers a visit....it's worth it to find a good podiatrist, even just to get feedback on what type of shoe you should wear based on your foot.

Don't be surprised, though, if a podiatrist tells you that you need orthotics, many people do, but don't know it. Could avoid problems later in life and many forms of pain in the lower part of the body and back as you age.

Back to Top View SuzanneG's Profile Search for other posts by SuzanneG

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 31 2007 at 2:40pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Maria, I had to have arch supports inserted (glued) in my school shoes since I was in 1st grade. We definitely frequented little stores like your dh's family's.

It was guaranteed that whatever was the ugliest oxford in my size would be the pair that could handle the supports. Ugh. I hope I gained graces for all that ugliness and pain.

Now, even though my shoes aren't the prettiest, they are at least decent looking, and I have options to wear other than orthopedic oxfords.

And I also put in removable inserts when needed in shoes that aren't the best. I added orthotics to Rockport boots this winter...sigh of relief.

But I'm sure no one wants to know all my personal shoe history.

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: May 31 2007 at 2:53pm | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

Land's End sells great orthotics. I put them in my boots last winter. And...I bought two pairs of Born sandals at DSW yesterday They're kind of flip-floppish and I worried they were too casual for every where, all the time. I worried for about two seconds. They're shoes. If they were good enough for St. Francis, they're good enough for me.

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)
Back to Top View Elizabeth's Profile Search for other posts by Elizabeth

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: May 31 2007 at 4:15pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Ok guys - help me out here. I really like this mary jane from Dansko. Does anybody wear Dansko? Are they comfy? I tried on a pair of clogs once, and didn't like them, but I like these mary janes. I don't like open toe sandals. I don't generally wear heels on an everyday shoe this high, so I need some input as to whether or not someone out there likes them. I'm not opposed to heels - just looking for a basic, sort of classic (read non-trendy) looking brown sandal that I can wear with my skirts/dresses as my everyday summer shoes. Anybody got any advice? Sadly, I live in a city that has very little to offer in the way of big shoe shopping - no DSW, no Walking Company. So it's online ordering, which I don't mind, but I'd like a review from someone. Anyone?

Some alternative brands I found along the same style lines (mary jane) are Naot and Naturalizer. Opinions of those?

Page of 2 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version