Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Mothering and Family Life
 4Real Forums : Mothering and Family Life
Subject Topic: What do you read to your newborn/infant? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
MarilynW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: May 24 2007 at 8:51pm | IP Logged Quote MarilynW

I am getting a little nook in my bedroom ready for the new little one. I am going through all our books selecting the board book favorites. I also like to read some poetry aloud - I am putting all these in a little basket by my glider. I would love to know what you read aloud to an infant.

Back to Top View MarilynW's Profile Search for other posts by MarilynW

Caroline
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 25 2007 at 8:40am | IP Logged Quote Caroline

Goodnight Moon is my all time favorite. The babies love the colors! Other than that, my 5 month old listens to whatever big brother is listening to.   

Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 25 2007 at 9:15am | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

What a lovely idea, Marilyn.
I always read "How Many Kisses Goodnight" to my littles.

mom to 5
Cajun Cottage Under the Oaks
Back to Top View Cay Gibson's Profile Search for other posts by Cay Gibson Visit Cay Gibson's Homepage

Fuzzy
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: May 25 2007 at 11:59am | IP Logged Quote Fuzzy

"Guess How Much I Love You" always makes me cry.

Back to Top View Fuzzy's Profile Search for other posts by Fuzzy Visit Fuzzy's Homepage

organiclilac
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 25 2007 at 1:16pm | IP Logged Quote organiclilac

Before my son was old enough to turn pages (when we switched to board books) I would read him Dr. Seuss endlessly. I think he liked all the interesting sounds.

JSchaaf
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 25 2007 at 1:26pm | IP Logged Quote JSchaaf

I like the Sandra Boynton board books.
Jennifer
Back to Top View JSchaaf's Profile Search for other posts by JSchaaf

DominaCaeli
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 25 2007 at 1:36pm | IP Logged Quote DominaCaeli

A topic near and dear to my heart!! I've got two infants right now (eight months and eleven months) and we have the same setup you're planning--a basket of board books by my rocking chair in the nursery. I find board books so much easier to read to the littles while rocking them (or nursing) since I can hold the book in one hand and flip the pages easily on my own. I also don't have to worry about their tearing the pages, which they're always wanting to do when they're on my lap for picture books.

My son's favorite has always been "The Very Hungry Caterpillar"; he likes Carle's bright illustrations and the little flap-pages really catch his attention. And I always "pop" him up in my lap when it says "pop"--he loves that. My daughter seems to like "Jesse Bear" and "Goodnight Moon." They both also like Doctor Seuss, especially when I get into a sing-songy rhythm.

I love anthologies of short poetry for babies. I keep several books of poems by the couch. It's so easy to read little poems here and there throughout the day; I never feel like I have to stop right in the middle of a story when they start wiggling! I love Mother Goose for this, of course--Tomie de Paola's version is my current favorite. I also love Jane Dyer's "Animal Crackers." "This Little Piggy" is fun too.

I also read regular children's or even adult poetry to them; they seem to enjoy the rhythm of my voice even without understanding the words or looking at pictures. I try to choose anthologies that have a mix of short and longish selections so I can gauge their attention span and pick accordingly. Robert Frost and Emily Dickinson are favorites so far. And they seem to like Shakespeare too!

Blessings,
Celeste
Back to Top View DominaCaeli's Profile Search for other posts by DominaCaeli

JSchaaf
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 25 2007 at 1:54pm | IP Logged Quote JSchaaf

Big Red Barn
Each Peach Pear Plum

I'm starting my own wish list for when Michael comes home!

Jennifer
Back to Top View JSchaaf's Profile Search for other posts by JSchaaf

nicole marie
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: May 26 2007 at 8:22am | IP Logged Quote nicole marie

A very dear friend sent the book, The Big Red Barn, right after DD was born. I began reading it to her when she was about 4 months and now at almost 10 months it is still her favorite story! It is one of the ones she will actually let me read all the way through. She also loves all of the Touch and Feel books. Those ones she likes looking at by herself because she can turn the pages and feel all the fun parts. I think they make her feel like a big girl.

When she was very small, I would read aloud to her while I nursed her and it was usually whatever I was reading at the time. I think we finished a few G.K. Chestertons and Jane Austens at the time Now whenever I am sitting in the glider or on the couch with a book she wants to "read" with me. Sometimes we sit side by side with our books and "read" together.

I hope you have a wonderful time finding books you can enjoy together. I love reading with my dd and choosing books for her is something I could do for hours on end!
Back to Top View nicole marie's Profile Search for other posts by nicole marie Visit nicole marie's Homepage

MarilynW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 26 2007 at 8:38am | IP Logged Quote MarilynW

Thank you everyone for the suggestions. I love sitting and reading to a newborn - either when nursing alone - or with toddlers and older around. My older kids helped me get the 'baby book basket' together by pulling out the board books from all the various shelves. So far we have:

- Goodnight Moon
- Runaway Bunny
- Guess How Much I Love You
- The Very Hungry Caterpillar
- The Napping House
- The Little Mouse, the Red Ripe Strawberry and the big hungry bear
- The Carrot Seed
- Lots of touchy feely ones
- My Car
- Planes
- Just in case you ever wonder (this is the one that always has me in tears)
- Lucy Collins Nursery Rhymes
- Mother Goose nursery rhymes
- Prayers and Poems for the Very Young (love this)
- Prayer for a Child
- Peekaboo (except I have the British version which is "Peepo"!!)
- Dear Zoo
- If Jesus came to my house
- Jim Weiss's bedtime cds - Good Night and Sweet Dreams

I may start a thread about music you play for infants.

Back to Top View MarilynW's Profile Search for other posts by MarilynW

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version