Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: Ordination gift ideas Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
KathrynTherese
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Online Status: Offline
Posted: May 22 2007 at 9:30am | IP Logged Quote KathrynTherese

Hello, all you creative and deeply meaningful women!

I'm stetching my brains here (with a migraine brewing) for gift ideas for a friend. Victor KyNam, that tender soul who illustrated my books, is being ordained in a couple of weeks, and I'd like to give him something a little special. I don't want to hand him a card with $$ or a gift certificate to go buy vestments. He's an artist (sculptor, painter, tailor, you-name-it), so art is difficult to buy for him.

Any unique ideas? I'm open to any and all suggestions, as something might just spark something else. I am absolutely blank....

Grazie mille!

opus gloriae
Back to Top View KathrynTherese's Profile Search for other posts by KathrynTherese Visit KathrynTherese's Homepage

Anne McD
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 22 2007 at 3:09pm | IP Logged Quote Anne McD

Hmmm, maybe a traveling Mass kit or a small purple stole he can keep in the car or on him for when people stop him in the middle of an airport and ask him to hear their confession?

Good luck-- I wrestled with this one a few years ago, and its not like priests have registries . . .

James 8
Katie 6
William 3 1/2
Benedict Joseph 1
and baby on the way! 10/14
Back to Top View Anne McD's Profile Search for other posts by Anne McD

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 22 2007 at 3:15pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Do you know his parents? Many times they have a wish/want list for items.

I would give money, even though you are opposed. Seems since he's an artist he would like to choose his own vestments. Maybe not exactly money, but find a vestment maker that he would like and make arrangements to have one of his choosing (fabrics and trim) made for him. Or his alb, choosing of his own. The newer priests I know are going back to the fancier albs with lace on the bottom.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

KathrynTherese
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: May 22 2007 at 4:01pm | IP Logged Quote KathrynTherese

These are good ideas. I'm still stewing.
His parents are still in Vietnam; actually, they are Buddhists. He attributes his vocation to the fact that his mother was in a Catholic orphanage, and the sisters taught her to say a Hail Mary every evening. She remained Buddhist, but always said that Hail Mary. And taught her children to do the same. Interesting, eh?

I LOVE the idea of sort of a "gift certificate" for a vestment maker, though I don't think I could afford it

Still thinking... so keep making suggestions.

opus gloriae
Back to Top View KathrynTherese's Profile Search for other posts by KathrynTherese Visit KathrynTherese's Homepage

Maryan
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 22 2007 at 4:21pm | IP Logged Quote Maryan

Hmmm... my bil is a priest and he's hard to shop for because he gets so many WONDERFUL spiritual gifts, so... your friend may already have these:

Subscriptions to magazines (like Adoremus) that deal with liturgical issues? Or Sermon help books/magazines (can't think of any names right now!) Although... that's not very creative!

Usually a mentor priest friend gives a newly ordained priest a chalice(and if he's an artist he might be particular about style)...but I guess that's not always the case. But also probably pricey.

A book of blessings? (My bil has a book that he pulls out to bless houses, cars, pregnant mamas, etc.) It looks black and official-- probably available from liturigical suppliers.

Maybe you have a candle made to celebrate his ordination anniversary -- kind of like a baptismal candle?

Really... drawing blanks!

Back to Top View Maryan's Profile Search for other posts by Maryan

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: May 22 2007 at 4:35pm | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

I'm thinking one of Kimberlee's rosaries, custom designed to reflect the things you know he holds dear. Kimberlee will have ideas to help you create something meaningful. And her rosaries are incredibly affordable for the quality. Incredible, really, I don't know how she does it.

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)
Back to Top View Elizabeth's Profile Search for other posts by Elizabeth

Betsy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 22 2007 at 4:48pm | IP Logged Quote Betsy

+JMJ+
I am ejoying reading this because I have friend that is being ordained in June.

I too am drawing blanks...

However, I am most likely going to have some Masses said for him (Maybe a Novena of Masses?) What can be better than that!

Betsy
Back to Top View Betsy's Profile Search for other posts by Betsy

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version