Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: Birthday party ideas for 11 yr. old? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
St. Ann
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: May 20 2007 at 7:19am | IP Logged Quote St. Ann

Dd1 is turning 11 this week and would like to invite a few friends to BBQ...
I need some ideas for games/activities, preferably not too athletic because 2 girlfriends are at the moment physically disabled.
Maybe something in the arts and crafts department?

11 can be such a difficult age. They are no longer little girls and not yet young women...

Thanks!

Wife and mother to Hannah '96, Maria '99, Dorothea '01, Helena '03
Back to Top View St. Ann's Profile Search for other posts by St. Ann Visit St. Ann's Homepage

Paula in MN
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 20 2007 at 9:54am | IP Logged Quote Paula in MN

Hmm, what about little clay pots that could be painted and then filled with dirt and seeds, especially wheat grass as it grows so quickly!

chicken lady
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 20 2007 at 10:00am | IP Logged Quote chicken lady

What about making up personal size cakes ahead of time, and allowing each child to ice and decorate their own cake?
We have done this and it super fun and fills in the time nicely.
Back to Top View chicken lady's Profile Search for other posts by chicken lady Visit chicken lady's Homepage

Mary Chris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 20 2007 at 10:56am | IP Logged Quote Mary Chris

For my dds 11th bday last year we decorated flip flops. I found the idea in Family Fun. Basically, I bought inexpensive flip flops then cut strips of fabric 3/4 inch wide, probably 2-3 inches long, and tied them on the plastic part of the flip flop. They came out very cute!
We also played a game where you put wrapped pieces of gum in whip cream, they have to find the gum, unwrap it and blow a bubble with their arms behind their back. It grossed me out but the girls loved it!
We also did a scavenger hunt where there were scraps of paper with numbered questions around the house. They had to find the papers in numerical order and come back to my husband and I and answer it before they could go on to the next. Some were questions about our dd, books, or even math.
I have a lot to stamping stuff so the girls also made some cards.
At a recent party dd went to they painted Dove soap, I think with just regular paint and then dipped them in clear wax to hold the design. I think that was another Family Fun idea.
I might have another game somewhere that involves dice, I will look around. I will also check later and see if I can find links for you.

St. Ann
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 21 2007 at 1:45am | IP Logged Quote St. Ann

Mary Chris, you are just full of ideas! keep 'em comin'!

Paula, I don't think the potted plant idea will work with this group of girls, but I do like the idea and will try to come back to it for another b'day.

Chicken Lady, I think your idea is wonderful, but alas, too much work for me. We don't have ready made frostings here in Germany, and I can't imagine making up a colorful offering of frostings...

Does anyone work with combed wool to make little animal figures...? I am considering something in that line if it is not too expensive.

Back to Top View St. Ann's Profile Search for other posts by St. Ann Visit St. Ann's Homepage

Dawn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 21 2007 at 5:28am | IP Logged Quote Dawn

Stephanie, last year my oldest turned 11 and we made some nature print t-shirts. The shirts are shown in that post and there is a link to the Family Fun instructions page.

Back to Top View Dawn's Profile Search for other posts by Dawn

Carole N.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 21 2007 at 8:02am | IP Logged Quote Carole N.

For my dd, birthday parties are a craft day. I have always purchased brown paper gift bags and let the girls decorate them with markers, stencil, and stickers.

We have also decorated small pillar candles with ribbon and decorated push pins. If you had bees wax (which I have not done) you could broaden your scope of decorating.

We have painted flower pots to use as planters or pencil holders (I placed spare toothbrushes in the one that Avery made).

One year, we made Barbie dresses (it was a Barbie themed party) out of t-shirts.

I can usually find ideas at the craft store.

CAgirl4God
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: May 21 2007 at 10:12pm | IP Logged Quote CAgirl4God

my oldest is a boy and the next one in line is a bit of a tom boy...so we had a huge pirate party for allthree older ones (who all have b-days in Sept lol don't know how that happened lol). but that probably won't go over too well with all girls. thoguh everyone invited had fun....

my sister had a party for one of her kids and everyone dressed up in the fav. literary character. I thought that was a pretty cool idea.

Jamie, married to John
JC, Nugget, Christina & Judy
Chowder
Back to Top View CAgirl4God's Profile Search for other posts by CAgirl4God

humanaevitae
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: May 21 2007 at 10:23pm | IP Logged Quote humanaevitae

How about making some jewelery? Or a baking afternoon (fudge,etc..)?

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 22 2007 at 11:54am | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

I did one party where the girls made journels.. card stock for covers that they decorated.. I think I got the 6 hole punched smaller notebook paper for inside and then tied it altogether with a ribbon binding.. then each girl got a nice pen as well.

It took up a good bit of time and the girls (variety of ages) had fun.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 22 2007 at 11:25pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

Not a craft idea but ..one game my dc like at our parties is the 'memory game'. We place 10 miscellaneous items on a tray, the children study for a while thenI cover the items back up. They then try and write down as many as they can. Now some of their friends can't spell and some can't write so I just announce casually that you can draw the picture of what you saw if you like.

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

St. Ann
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 23 2007 at 1:14am | IP Logged Quote St. Ann

Thank you all for contributing ideas!
I went to the craft store yesterday and found different sizes of plain wooden boxes and cardboard boxes. What is funny is that the cardboard boxes are more expensive than the wooden ones. I am thinking that the girls might enjoy decorating their own boxes with 'paper napkin art'(kind of like decopage) and rhinestones...One actually does not need much time for such a project per se, but usually much longer just deciding HOW one wants to decorate...I will try to pick out very pretty napkins in different styles so that everyone will go home with a nice birthday box.

Dawn, Carole, Jamie, HV, Jodie and Erin: I was tempted by many of your ideas and am saving this thread for other upcoming birthdays....! Thanks all!

CAgirl4God
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: May 24 2007 at 11:30pm | IP Logged Quote CAgirl4God

oh I had another idea for future use....

we did a beach party in our yard once.

it was like a little bazzar...with different stations and things to do.
there was a necklace making station (shells and beachy things on a string)
layered colored sand in baby food jars (I colored the sand myself with food coloring, cheap! lol)
diggin in a sand box for treasures.
'surfing' on a real surfboard set up to feel like you were moving
pin the surfer on the wave
and frisbee throwing....

the kids had a blast and no goodie bags to make up either.

we had punch and cupcakes...

Jamie, married to John
JC, Nugget, Christina & Judy
Chowder
Back to Top View CAgirl4God's Profile Search for other posts by CAgirl4God

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version