Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: How would you use this space? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
hobbitmom
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Online Status: Offline
Posted: May 17 2007 at 1:37pm | IP Logged Quote hobbitmom

We moved into this house (our first) almost two years ago, and have been fixing up the upstairs. Those projects are almost completed, and our eyes are turning to the basement. There is a ton of empty space here just begging to be put to good use... but we can’t decide what to use it for!

The house is a little 70s rancher, with a living/dining/kitchen area, three bedrooms, and a bathroom on the main floor. The finished basement has a bathroom/laundry room, a storage room (good thing, because there’s no attic), an "extra" room, and an open area with a woodstove and a door that opens to the outside. The problem is with the latter two rooms. What would you do with them?

My first thought was to turn the "extra" room into a library, but this room gets slightly damp when it rains, so that would be bad for storing books. Should we make it a guest room/craft room? Or maybe a learning space? Or should we make the open area the learning space instead... or maybe a family room? Or a playroom? So many choices!

Any ideas on the most prudent uses for these rooms? And what furniture and storage would we need? The only furniture down there right now is a sofa, loveseat, and chair set left us by the previous owners (I think it’s from This End Up, and it’s VERY heavy), and a pair of antique rocking chairs.

We’ll take all the suggestions we can get!

Amy
mommy to ds2 and d? due in August
Back to Top View hobbitmom's Profile Search for other posts by hobbitmom

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 17 2007 at 2:29pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

I would leave the open space as open as I could with lots of moveable things.. like.. a card table or larger folding table that can be set up if you want to do table work/crafts there.. leave it very open so in the winter you can use it for the kids to have space to run and be loud in.. get some sort of sleeper sofa in there maybe (getting rid of the ones that's there if needed) so it could be used for a guest room.. things like that.. leave it open and lots of options.. so that it can be used for more than one thing.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 17 2007 at 3:58pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

Our house sounds very much like yours.

We have sort of a second living room....where our tv is, along with bookshelves....ours and the children's that we're not using at that time. There is lots of hidden storage in this area. Also where I keep my bins of sewing stuff and the ironing board set up. And, bins for school stuff that is being rotated.   There is an extra closet here also, which is GREAT! I keep a card table here for me to do things at, on the rare occasion that dh and I watch a movie. Also, the 6 and 4 year old could be down there working on something if they want quiet time away from the chaos upstairs.

Another room is the guest room, that is ready for family to visit. But, most of the time it functions as a "holding spot" for switching out clothes, holiday/seasonal, liturgical stuff, birthdays, etc. It's usually a MESS, but that's OK, becasue it keeps the upstairs from being messy. When in doubt or don't have time to put something away, it goes here. The first weekend of the month, I clean it up.

Also, there is another unfinished room that we have lined with nothing but deep shelves for bin storage, and a chest freezer. There is exercise equipment in the middle of the room (for my dh, not me ).

The other room is dh office.
And, we have a GREAT pantry down here with lots of shelving...it's sort of tucked back behind the furnace. No one ever knows that it's there.....but it sure is full of STUFF!

Our basement is quite cold in the winter, but you have a woodstove, so that may not be an issue. When looking at LIVING in a basement.....maybe converting to a learning area....you have to think, would you WANT to spend lots of time there. Could it be light and delightful? Or dark and dim? We COULD make the downstairs living room into a learning space (as we are so cramped upstairs) but it's so much more pleasant to be upstairs where there is more natural light and better air. These things COULD be remedied, I suppose.....sounds like you have some time cuz the kids are young.
Just my .02

Back to Top View SuzanneG's Profile Search for other posts by SuzanneG

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version