Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
 4Real Forums : Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
Subject Topic: Knitting Accessories/Bags? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
AnaB
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: May 04 2007 at 1:38pm | IP Logged Quote AnaB

Hello Ladies!

I'm am continuing to plug away at my knitting. Just recently I started a new project and realized that because of my gauge, I'm going to have to go up in needle size. But, I already had a washcloth on those needles.

I'm curious, do you all have several of the same size needles? Do you wait to buy needles as you need them?

Also, does anyone have a favorite knitting needle case and/or knitting bag? I'd love to get some ideas here.

Many Blessings to you!

extremeknitter
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: May 04 2007 at 2:22pm | IP Logged Quote extremeknitter

I have an embarrassing amount of needles. Many repeats in sizes for the exact reason you mentioned.... I (or one of my girls) is already using that size. Sometimes I buy as I go, but if I find a good lot on ebay of varying sizes, I will pick up a bunch.

You can also put your dishcloth on a stitch holder or a piece of scrap yarn and put it back on the other needles when you're ready to finish it.

I use a great big German bierfest stein (2 liter) for my straights, though I rarely use straights. I use a short, round vase for my double points and I use a zippered CD case for my dozens and dozens of circulars. I just tuck them into the plastic part where the cd would go, points down.

My dh bought a fabric needle case for me, but I just don't care much for it.

I use wicker baskets of varying sizes as my "knitting bag" and use ziploc bags for any small things i need to carry (such as stitch markers)

Back to Top View extremeknitter's Profile Search for other posts by extremeknitter Visit extremeknitter's Homepage

Lorri
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: May 04 2007 at 3:34pm | IP Logged Quote Lorri

My favorite knitting needle case is an empty oatmeal container.

Back to Top View Lorri's Profile Search for other posts by Lorri

shaunms
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: May 04 2007 at 4:04pm | IP Logged Quote shaunms

I buy a few needles at a time as I need them -- e.g. I am starting a tank top for DD3 and got both 5s and 7s (I already have 6s) so that I'd be able to adjust as needed. I'll use them someday, if not for this project!

So far I've never had 2 projects going at the same time that required the same needles, but I'm sure I have a few repeats.

I love the idea of a CD case for circulars! (I really prefer circulars, I've found, even for non-circular knitting. Clover Bamboo, that's me.)

There are some really cute silk needles cases that I have admired, but they go out of stock too quickly at my local yarn store.
Back to Top View shaunms's Profile Search for other posts by shaunms

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 04 2007 at 6:15pm | IP Logged Quote Mary G

I have used this Needlemaster set since my parents gave it to me for Xmas back in 1980 or 1981 ... and I haven't had to replace any pieces yet. The nice thing is you can slide end-caps onto the cable and use the right size needle tip. This is the best set of these as it goes from 2 to 15 -- with lots of different cable lengths -- so I really could get away with just this set (this would be one of the first things I'd grab in an emergency ). I have gotten a few double-points for socks, but I really mostly use this set.

I have a Vera Bradly bag that I have all my knitting things in -- the Boye needles, a long plastic box with all the little things, baggies with various tools or design specific tools. I can also keep a notebook, pen/pencil, graph paper etc. This goes with me everywhere....

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

AnaB
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: May 04 2007 at 8:56pm | IP Logged Quote AnaB

I didn't even know that needles could be interchangeable! That makes sense! So, you like the feel of those Mary, versus the bamboo?   You've made so many beautiful things with them, that's for sure!

I love the CD holder for the circular needles!

Well, I had bought a Vera wanna-be bag from Marshalls and cleaned it out today. It's got alot of pockets!! There are some pockets that actually were perfect for holding the few needles I have. I was keeping all the little leftover yarn skeins I had in there and my books. Way too much.

I guess I'm kinda approaching knitting like I do reading: I always have several books going depending on the mood I'm in. I have 3 knitting projects going depending on the mood or time I have.

I see some of these knitting bags out there for $80-90 and it's just beyond what I'm capable of right now. For now my bag is pretty and useful, though I may look into getting a smaller little tote for carrying just one project. I love to hear what you all use and do.

I have other knitting questions that I'll be posting soon as I'm still a novice! I really would love to find some knitting friends where I am. I've attended the knitting guild which was nice, and the yarn shop does have a few regulars, but I just haven't clicked with someone yet. I'm praying about it. I'd love to find a friend to meet at Panera's or Starbucks so that we can work on our fiber arts and visit. That would be so refreshing. I'm praying about it, but so far it seems like everyone I know scrapbooks instead! I'll keep praying and waiting.

Karen T
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 04 2007 at 10:23pm | IP Logged Quote Karen T

I have a lot of needles. When I first taught myself 2 yrs ago someone convinced me to buy the Denise interchangeable set (similar to the Boye's that Mary has but they are resin instead of metal). I, too, prefer to use circulars for most things, even flat knitting. (less weight on the wrists, etc.)
But I have a lot of straights that a friend gave me, mostly plastic, which I don't use, but are good for teaching kids with - lightweight.
Now I have a lot of the KnitPicks options needles - a new type of interchangeable. I keep all my circs (the knitpicks and some Addi Turbos) in a bag from Patternworks that has plastic zipper bags for each size. Straights are in a long zippered case someone gave me.
Then, there are the dpns, my other favorite! I have them in bamboo, metal, resin, birchwood and from size 0 to size 10.

As for knitting bags for projects I mostly use tote bags - I have tons of them from various conferences. But I also found a canvas purse on sale at Target last summer for $2.50 that has several pockets and I use that a lot now, too. I keep scissors, stitch markers, tape measure, crochet hooks (for picking a dropped stitch), tapestry needles, etc. in a little fabric makeup bag in the larger bag.

Karen T
Back to Top View Karen T's Profile Search for other posts by Karen T

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 05 2007 at 12:10am | IP Logged Quote Mary G

Y'all could also make a HUGE wool knitted bag and then felt it -- here's a post about a carpet bag that I recently finished -- the nice thing about felting is that you can little errors but the felting process "hides" these quite well. When you make your own bag, you can put pockets wherever YOU want them -- inside or out .... here's a fleted backpack that I also recently finished that has pockets exactly where I want them (4 inside and one tiny one near the top so I can put change or my cell phone in there).... I also have a loop that I sewed in the inside so I could hook my keys and (hopefully ) never lose them!

You can google on-line for other knitted bags to find a pattern you like. There are so many free patterns out there now .... but I can also send you a copy of either of the ones above if you're interested.

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

Helen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 05 2007 at 7:45am | IP Logged Quote Helen

Lovely knitting Mary!

Back to Top View Helen's Profile Search for other posts by Helen Visit Helen's Homepage

AnaB
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: May 05 2007 at 7:59am | IP Logged Quote AnaB

Oh Mary,

How beautiful!!! I really like that carpet bag, and you say it's easy enough for beginners? How do you know what size the felted product will be before you felt it?

Very inspiring. Could I learn to do things like this by teaching myself, or do you think to advance in knitting you should take classes?

lilac hill
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 05 2007 at 8:25am | IP Logged Quote lilac hill

IF I am not using needles for a project, they are stored in a plastic bin with my extra yarn. They are organized by size in gallon baggies.

The active projects are in either a felted bag, which just looks too hot for summer. After going through my extra fabric,yesterday, I found some pretty stuff for a summery project bag.
But first I will finish the table runner I have been working on, felt DD's slippers, rip out DH socks (again) and correctly decrease on one side of the heel, and finish the summer purse I am knitting (want to add a beaded handle to that, especially after visiting a beautiful bead shop....

When I head out the door, my project bag comes along. I keep it separate from the errands bag full of returns and coupons so it can be handy for knitting in the house too.

Needles, I own plenty.
Circular are my favorites and now that I have tried Magic Loop knitting I will probably own more.

Stitch holders work for projects in progress, off the needles and if you need to, chop sticks work too.

If you are lucky enough to have a knitting shop near by, ask to knit with new needles. I am also careful to like the feel of a new yarn.
Once tried to knit up a pattern with a silk blend--felt awful on my hands--had to scrap the project--(felt like rubbing a blackboard with your fingernails to me)
I have some favorites and only you can know which kind you like best.
Sometimes a yarn is too slippery with a certain needle and the work will fly off, sometimes the neeldes are too rough.

Wife to Rick (7/83), Mom to dd#1(6/87), dd#2(1/90), and dd#3(6/94) in central PA.
Back to Top View lilac hill's Profile Search for other posts by lilac hill

Karen T
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 05 2007 at 10:38am | IP Logged Quote Karen T

AnaB wrote:
Oh Mary,

Very inspiring. Could I learn to do things like this by teaching myself, or do you think to advance in knitting you should take classes?

I taught myself to knit 2 yrs ago, and since then I have made hats, mittens, socks, and sweaters with no classes. I had already known how to crochet so that may help some but anything new I wanted to try I just looked for help in the internet. My favorite help site is
knittinghelp.com
It has videos of just about anything you could want to do. You can download them (free) and watch them over and over, or order a CD of all of them for a small fee (NAYY). She has both English (American) and continental techniques and just about every cast-on, stitch, method (circs, dpns, etc) you could imagine.
I used that plus a very simple leaflet with diagrams for when I wasn't near a computer to check my technique, to get started.
Of course, if you have a chance to take classes I'm sure they would be helpful too but I don't think they are necessary.
Back to Top View Karen T's Profile Search for other posts by Karen T

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version