Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Exploring God's Creation in Nature and Science
 4Real Forums : Exploring God's Creation in Nature and Science
Subject Topic: starting gardening Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Cheryl
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: April 29 2007 at 9:21pm | IP Logged Quote Cheryl

I am planning to plant a flower garden with my dc this spring. I've never done this before. My ds 8 has designed a large garden with a bench, pond, patio and flowers, of course. I think we should start out simpler, but I'm having trouble even getting started. I'm afraid to cut the grass out. There are just so many possibilities. Do you have any advice?

Back to Top View Cheryl's Profile Search for other posts by Cheryl Visit Cheryl's Homepage

MichelleW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 29 2007 at 9:29pm | IP Logged Quote MichelleW

Why don't you start with lots of containers? If you like it, then next year you can dig up the grass where the pots used to be...

mary
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 29 2007 at 10:00pm | IP Logged Quote mary

have you considered hiring a landscape architect to help you plan? or maybe even to do the work? we did this 2 yrs ago and i simply love what we had done. i learned a little about the process when we had ours done - maybe you could post pix on your blog and ask for suggestions?
Back to Top View mary's Profile Search for other posts by mary

mom2mpr
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 29 2007 at 10:09pm | IP Logged Quote mom2mpr

Start small! Do one area at a time--like the front garden.
Plant perennials(not annuals--though some can go to seed and come back the next year)--they come back each year. Make your garden do the work, not you!
When we had built our home in Va and I had to start from scratch with gardens around the house I got lots of books from the library and researched plants that would do well in the area I was planting and would pretty much take care of themselves--don't get rose bushes they need lots of attention. Plants that would come back year after year and bloom at different times so I would have something blooming most of the time. It worked out pretty well and by starting with one or two places the first year, then another garden or two the next, after a few years some of the plants needed to be "thinned" and I could move them to the next garden I was working on. It worked well for me.
Enjoy, once the research is done it is lots of fun
Anne
Back to Top View mom2mpr's Profile Search for other posts by mom2mpr

chicken lady
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 29 2007 at 10:11pm | IP Logged Quote chicken lady

Go for it!!! Do not be afraid, gardening is so life giving. Get your hands dirty,let your ds' learn about soil and plants. My parents did and I am forever grateful. If you have a specific question, post it someone will help you!

Happy gardening......
Back to Top View chicken lady's Profile Search for other posts by chicken lady Visit chicken lady's Homepage

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 29 2007 at 10:29pm | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

I totally agree with the Chicken Lady. The best way to do it is just to do it. Talk to your nurserymen. Describe your growing spaces and ask for advice. Start smallish and work your way up.

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

Cheryl
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 30 2007 at 6:16am | IP Logged Quote Cheryl

Thanks for your encouragement. We already had landscapers do the planting all around the house when it was built. What I'm going to do is plant something at the edge of the woods (that we don't own). It will be on the edge of our lawn next to our dc's play area. Mary, maybe I will post a picture and ask for suggestions. I want it to be a learning experience for the dc and me. My dh is concerned that it's going to be an eyesore.

Back to Top View Cheryl's Profile Search for other posts by Cheryl Visit Cheryl's Homepage

mary
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 30 2007 at 6:44am | IP Logged Quote mary

gotcha. i went to your blog and looked - you have such a nice play area and a lovely woods. will grass grow between the woods and the play area? or are you wanting to plant things all the way to the woods?

med sized plants (for a back row)
red ozier dogwood
forsythia
pussy willow
vibernum
liliac
bluberries

small plants for a front row:
daffodils
hostas
daylilies
iris

Back to Top View mary's Profile Search for other posts by mary

Maryan
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 30 2007 at 7:51am | IP Logged Quote Maryan

Cheryl, how fun!

I vote for dive right in too! Whatever you put in, you need to maintain (weed, feed, check for disease etc.) -- so the suggestion to start small is wise (wish we had that suggestion when we started from scratch two years ago!)

In VA, we have a nursery (Meadow Farms) that will come out and give suggestions for our particular lawn, soil type, (who knew that soil affected plants!) and sun exposure for free as long as you buy a certain amount of plants. Maybe MA has something like that??

I like all Mary's suggestions -- and would suggest an even smaller front row with annual flowers -- fun for the kids and give instant color. They won't last so you'll have to start over next year, but if you have an "annual row" that will give you and the kids an opportunity to dig in the dirt each year!

And her suggestion of daffodils combined with hostas and daylily's is great! Plant your daffodil bulbs BEHIND the daylily and hosta, so that the unsightly daffodil die back will be hidden!

I only have the lilac out of her medium plant suggestions, so I don't know how much maintenance those plants need, but her small plant selection are hardy and don't need much attention!

Back to Top View Maryan's Profile Search for other posts by Maryan

Cheryl
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 06 2007 at 1:09pm | IP Logged Quote Cheryl

Mary and Maryan,
I'm sorry I forgot to thank you for your suggestions. I decided to put off my garden planning until after the Loveliness of Gardens fair. I let you know how it goes!

stefoodie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 06 2007 at 1:25pm | IP Logged Quote stefoodie

Hi Cheryl, are there any specific flowers your 8-yo wants to plant? That might be a good place to start. My 5-yo wanted lupines after reading Miss Rumphius, so that was top of the list this year.

mom to five
Back to Top View stefoodie's Profile Search for other posts by stefoodie Visit stefoodie's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version