Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: Farmers and homesteaders.... Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
chicken lady
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: April 28 2007 at 3:28pm | IP Logged Quote chicken lady

I am wondering how many we have on this board.
Back to Top View chicken lady's Profile Search for other posts by chicken lady Visit chicken lady's Homepage

ShawnaB
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: April 28 2007 at 3:56pm | IP Logged Quote ShawnaB

Hello Chicken Lady!

Well, I am intrigued with the "idea" of homesteading, but in all reality, I like my little home in town...with my little garden, and my quick walk to the coffee house!

Our dear buddy Chari is more of a "real" homesteader you know...with raspberry bushes, and fruit trees, and a big, big, garden, with a chicken run all the way around it, and fresh eggs!

There was a fun thread on this subject a while back. Here it is!

Angel
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 28 2007 at 6:51pm | IP Logged Quote Angel

I wouldn't really call us a farmer or a homesteader, but... we live on 15 acres in upstate New York and we are trying to grow a big enough garden/orchard to supply us with a lot of our food... and one day we would *like* have a nice market garden and some animals. Does that count?

--Angela
Three Plus Two
Back to Top View Angel's Profile Search for other posts by Angel Visit Angel's Homepage

bfarmmom
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: April 29 2007 at 3:15pm | IP Logged Quote bfarmmom

We live on a small family farm on 5 acres. We raise our own beef, dairy cow, 2 horses, we had chickens, but the dogs got to them I am waiting on a chicken tractor so we can keep chickens in the pasture protected. We also have a garden. We LOVE this lifestyle. We have been here for about 2 yrs after moving from Boca Raton, Fl so this is all new to us, but we are really enjoying ourselves!

Sonlight Garden
Back to Top View bfarmmom's Profile Search for other posts by bfarmmom Visit bfarmmom's Homepage

missionfamily
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 29 2007 at 5:12pm | IP Logged Quote missionfamily

We are not farmers or homesteaders but like to pretend we are! We have planted a large garden this spring and citrus trees, are completing a pen so we can have enough poultry to produce our own supply of eggs and this summer adding a mommy milk goat and her baby to our yard. If we had more land, I think we would delve in further...my husband really wants to farm-raise tilapia but the restrictions sre quite difficult. Instead we have vowed to purchase as much as we can from local sustainable farms--we now get all our meat, eggs, vegetables, and milk from a a local farm, raw cheese mail ordered from a family farm in Missouri, and are on the waiting list to get the beef from a local cattle farmer when he has a cow ready. We feel really good when we can produce our own food or know exactly from whence it came! Hurray to all you farmers and homesteaders out there!
Colleen
Back to Top View missionfamily's Profile Search for other posts by missionfamily Visit missionfamily's Homepage

bfarmmom
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: April 29 2007 at 6:18pm | IP Logged Quote bfarmmom

Colleen,
I would call you a farmer!!

Sonlight Garden
Back to Top View bfarmmom's Profile Search for other posts by bfarmmom Visit bfarmmom's Homepage

MichelleW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 29 2007 at 9:45pm | IP Logged Quote MichelleW

We are on 12 acres in the mountains. We only farm for ourselves (we don't sell much). We raise our own pork (and have sold those), beef, eggs (we use our extras for barter), we have a garden large enough to sustain canning. Our poor pitiful orchard is down to one viable cherry tree (because the elk keep bothering the trees--truth is I love this elk herd and can't seem to feel mad at them for ruining our orchard every year. Time to move the orchard). We also have great mushrooming here.

I just came in from planting an old water trough full of Hood strawberries. They are everbearing. I can't wait! Grapes go in next!

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 30 2007 at 1:25am | IP Logged Quote Erin

Well we are 'wannabes'
We have purchased our land (140 acres just before Christmas), have planted a few veggies, we really need to plant more as with the drought the prices of veggies are only going to rise. We have the beginnings of an 'orchard' for family use. The dc have some chooks, egg layers. And we are planning on buying cattle as soon as we repair some of the fences and finances arrive. Oh and my dh is happy as his tractor arrived yesterday

We don;t have elks to contend with here Michelle, our crop thieves are the kangaroos.

But of course very few can make a living off the land these days. Dh will always have to work off farm.

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

Maturemomg
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: April 30 2007 at 1:43pm | IP Logged Quote Maturemomg

Kinda sorta.. been there.... still here....
We have 5 acres. We have had various poultry, sheep, goats, etc.
Currently just one dog!
Garden, sometimes big, sometimes not so big. (Like the year I was due July 31- dh said NO garden this year. Which really meant SMALL garden.)
Yours in Christ,
Kathy
Back to Top View Maturemomg's Profile Search for other posts by Maturemomg

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version