Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: Richmond, VA??? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
folklaur
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: April 26 2007 at 1:36pm | IP Logged Quote folklaur

Hi,

My husband has been contacted about a possible job in Richmond VA. I have no idea what this area is like -- can anyone tell me?

I grew up in NJ, on the Jersey Shore, but have lived in AZ for 20 years now....

Thanks so much,
Back to Top View folklaur's Profile Search for other posts by folklaur

Cindy Mac
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 26 2007 at 3:27pm | IP Logged Quote Cindy Mac

I went to college at the University of Richmond. I can attest that the West End area is absolutely lovely. Not too far from downtown where there is plenty of things to do - minor league baseball team, botanical gardens, museums, and of course lots of good restuarants. And near the University where there are cultural things to do as well.

Kellys Klassroom Korner
St. Anne's Academy
Back to Top View Cindy Mac's Profile Search for other posts by Cindy Mac Visit Cindy Mac's Homepage

teachingmyown
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 26 2007 at 4:00pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmyown

I am less than an hour from Richmond. I have some friends who have been there for years, the West side as well, and really like it.

The diocese is quite liberal, unfortunately. You could aim to live North of Richmond and live within the Diocese of Arlington. I am not sure how far south it reaches.

Richmond is pretty small and doesn't have the traffic problems of the DC area, so a commute from the North wouldn't be bad, especially if your dh worked on the North side, where I believe a lot of the technology jobs are. My dh was looking there when he was laid off last summer. Of course, in our world, a good commute is on less than an hour! I am sure that is astounding to folks in other parts of the country.

You would be close enough to DC for field trips (90 minutes), as well as Williamsburg and even VA Beach (maybe one and a half hours).

One downside, you can't get a basement because the water table is so high there. But then again, I guess that means you don't have to worry about droughts as much!

Hope that helps!

Remembering Today
Back to Top View teachingmyown's Profile Search for other posts by teachingmyown Visit teachingmyown's Homepage

Bethany
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: April 27 2007 at 6:26am | IP Logged Quote Bethany

I lived in Arizona for 4 years and visited throughout my entire childhood. Now I live in Northern VA, farther north than Richmond. I left Phoenix in 2000 and can't say I miss it. Although, I do sometimes miss other parts of AZ and the desert. From what my parents say from their visits and from other family the growth there has been crazy. I can't imagine what it's like now. The pollution was making me sick in 2000.

Virginia is beautiful, but the northern area is expensive. Richmond probably isn't as expensive as closer to DC, but if you go north or east to try to be in the Arlington diocese the cost of housing would increase. Richmond would be a great location to get to everthing in VA. It's close to Charlottesville with Monticello and Montpelier, DC, Williamsburg, and the beach.

My husband and I are trying to decide whether to stay in the area, the cost of housing and commute to DC isn't very family friendly. But, this is a beautiful area with so much to offer. If we do stay we'd probably have to move to Stafford county, which is pretty close to Richmond, the housing there is much more affordable than Loudoun county.

Hope some of this helps. Oh, and if you live in Tucson I would probably visit here before deciding. I haven't been to Tucson recently, but I remember it being really great.

folklaur
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 24 2007 at 10:06pm | IP Logged Quote folklaur

Well, my dh has actually gone through a few rounds of interviewing for the job in Richmond. I am not sure whether I want him to get it or not . I have been here in AZ for so long...but I absolutly detest the heat. It makes me physically sick, too. And it is already 110 degrees and it isn't even July. .

However, I am somewhat terrified of a move across country, and I don't know if there will be a Catholic Homeschool group and and and....

We should know more within the next two weeks.

Back to Top View folklaur's Profile Search for other posts by folklaur

teachingmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Virginia Bluebells

Posted: June 24 2007 at 10:57pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmom

I know a good Catholic family in the Richmond area. They have one preschool age child so far, so they may not be able to advise you on homeschooling, but they could let you know what they know about parishes, etc. Please pm me if you'd like me to connect you via email.

guitarnan
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 25 2007 at 7:06am | IP Logged Quote guitarnan

The Diocese of Richmond has actually improved...still has a way to go...

The heat in Richmond is not like AZ; more humidity, which makes it pretty sticky in summertime.

You won't run out of things to do; there's so much history around Richmond, not to mention points north and south in VA. Richmond's old guard is very proud of the Confederate heritage...this really dismayed me when I lived in Virginia Beach and visited Richmond. It took getting used to even in the Virginia Beach area. (I'm from southern CA.) Fortunately, homeschooling will help you avoid the truly racist folks, for the most part.

cgregas
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: June 25 2007 at 8:33am | IP Logged Quote cgregas

I live in Richmond and we love it. We moved down from northern Virginia seven months ago. The diocese is going through growing pains with a new bishop, which is all for the good. We live about 25 miles north west of the city, there is so much to do and see. Depending on the area you live there are a lot of hsing families in the area. I would be happy to talk further if your husband job possibilities work.

Back to Top View cgregas's Profile Search for other posts by cgregas

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: June 25 2007 at 9:22am | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

If I could live anywhere in the world, all things considered, I'd live in Richmond (or Charlottesville). Really.
I don't have time to elaborate right now Laura and I'm hoping more Richmond locals will chime in, but I do soooo love that city!

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)
Back to Top View Elizabeth's Profile Search for other posts by Elizabeth

Magnificat
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: June 25 2007 at 3:30pm | IP Logged Quote Magnificat

We live outside of Richmond and really like it. We moved from Northern VA about 6 years ago.
I second what everyone else here has said about the diocese. It's getting better, but slowly. We belonged to a local parish, however decided to change to a parish on base. In fact, the priests that come to our parish are from the Benedictine Abbey in Richmond.
There is so much to do: Jamestown, Williamsburg, Charlottesville, VA Beach (not to mention many smaller,natural beaches very closeby).
As an aside, reading this thread makes me wonder how close other 4Realers may be!! Let's PM and see?!

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version