Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Mothering and Family Life
 4Real Forums : Mothering and Family Life
Subject Topic: My 2 yo.’s love of shoes is... Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Maryan
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: April 26 2007 at 10:08am | IP Logged Quote Maryan

driving me nuts!

When we leave the house, he changes his mind about which shoes to wear umpteen times (and I think -- do I have a daughter???) The practical side of me says: this is ridiculous! Put on one pair of shoes and that's it. So when this occurs, I firmly say: "No, we are leaving. You need to keep your shoes on." And if he gets upset at my no -- I put in the corner/crib until he stops whining (which also delays getting out the door!)

But then...he sometimes he wants to put shoes on just for fun inside the house (and I understand this is just a toddler repetitive activity... and while this also drives me nuts because I have to help him put on all those shoes -- I'm okay with this because I know he's "playing" with shoes.) So I let him do that.

But... I wonder if I'm sending mixed messages!! I really feel it is not optional to change our shoes before leaving -- it's hard enough to get out the door with four ages five and under, and the potty training, and the surprise diaper changes, etc. I can't add a shoe delay to the whole process!!

So I feel silly asking this: but what would you do? Will he "get" that trying on shoes in the house is playing and when we go to leave -- it's one pair of shoes and that's it???

Back to Top View Maryan's Profile Search for other posts by Maryan

Maryan
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 26 2007 at 10:10am | IP Logged Quote Maryan

I should add that he's on the early side of two and is at that easily frustrated stage because his vocabulary hasn't caught up with all of his desires IYKWIM.

Back to Top View Maryan's Profile Search for other posts by Maryan

mom2mpr
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 26 2007 at 10:54am | IP Logged Quote mom2mpr

We went through this with dd and ended up packing a bag of shoes to take with us Also, sometimes she left the house barefoot with a few pairs in tow to choose on the way to our destination. It was a battle I chose not to fight and tried to find ways to just get get out of the house Now she is four and I give her a 10 minute warning, and sometimes have big brother go with her, and she has that time to pick and put on shoes. We still leave barefoot sometimes. We leave with rubber frog boots and a fancy dress, crocs and dress, it makes life interesting and I am trying to smile and enjoy this phase
(though it drives dh absolutely crazy )
Good luck!
Anne
Back to Top View mom2mpr's Profile Search for other posts by mom2mpr

Meredith
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 26 2007 at 1:36pm | IP Logged Quote Meredith

Do we have the same son For some reason, shoes, boots, sandals, anything that he can put on his little feet are a big highlight in his day! Therefore, I try not to be too concerned about WHAT shoes he's wearing as long as if we're going to Mass they are appropriate for church. That said, we still have struggles!

Maybe try not to make a big deal out of it, I don't think you're sending mixed messages, but maybe let him have a little more control and if he changes them or ends up with NO shoes on, then perhaps he has to go with that decision, as in he won't be able to walk around because he doesn't have them on???

This probably doesn't help much, but please know you're NOT alone in the 2 yo old jungle!!

Praying for you both

Back to Top View Meredith's Profile Search for other posts by Meredith Visit Meredith's Homepage

Sarah
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 26 2007 at 6:45pm | IP Logged Quote Sarah

The only thing here that can stop a tantrum or help ds 20 months change gears is to put on his shoes. He wants everyone elses shoes. Poor dd3 was attacked recently when ds wanted her Easter shoes.

Hang in there. I think this age is darling but really hard at the same time. They cannot be reasoned with!

Would he go for a bag packed with shoes as mentioned above and just be happy carrying it? Or would he want to perpetually try them on, which wouldn't work in public.

Another idea is to "lose" all pairs but one. Ds has only one pair. But would your son remember and keep asking or just switch to wearing someone elses?

I think it will pass. Hugs!!!!!!!!!!!!

If it makes you feel better ds whines/screams inconsolably if we try to use the bathroom or play the piano.

Back to Top View Sarah's Profile Search for other posts by Sarah

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: April 26 2007 at 8:19pm | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

Maryan, I'm with you sister! Just last week I stood in the parking lot of Little League as my 23 mos. old son refused to put his socks and shoes on to go watch brother play ball. Not wearing shoes is not an option because of all the stuff on the ground. Oh my. In most instances I'm fine with giving him the option to wear his shoes or not, but at Little League, I have to say, "We are at Little League. As soon as you put your shoes on, we can go play."

Or how about buying shoes at the department store? He freaks out when I try to fit shoes on him...but he won't leave easily because he LOVES trying on all the other shoes...the fancier and bigger, the better .

OK, so I have been absolutely no help at all...but the next time I'm engaged in a shoe stand-off with little man, I'll think of you all .

Love,

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version