Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: Ultrasound opinions...*UPDATED* Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Lisbet
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: April 25 2007 at 11:18am | IP Logged Quote Lisbet

I am scheduled to have an ultrasound tomorrow afternoon. This is the first time I have had one so late in pregnancy. It will be my 4th one in this pregnancy alone!! We just want to make sure that the whole twin and hemmorhage situation has resolved itself. (I think it has, no bleeding since week 16) It looks like I will be going by myself.

I'm interested in opinions on finding out the gender. I never have before, never had the opportunity, never even been interested. I am feeling very tempted this time though!!

If Tony was going with me, I don't think I'd even ask, because I know he'd rather not know, but, like I said, I'm going alone! :)

Just curious to everyones thoughts on this. Have many of you found out? Thanks!

Abby, 15
Gabe, 13
Isaac, 11
Mary, 10
Sam, 9
Henry, 7
Molly, 6
Mark, 5
Greta, 3
Cecilia born 10.29.10
Josephine born 6.11.12
Back to Top View Lisbet's Profile Search for other posts by Lisbet

Anne McD
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 25 2007 at 11:28am | IP Logged Quote Anne McD

We love the surprise, so we've never found out. However, if you really are on the fence, you can always have your tec write it down and seal it for you to open later. Then if you decide not to, burn it so its not haunting you

James 8
Katie 6
William 3 1/2
Benedict Joseph 1
and baby on the way! 10/14
Back to Top View Anne McD's Profile Search for other posts by Anne McD

joann10
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 25 2007 at 11:31am | IP Logged Quote joann10

We have found out 8 of the 10 dc's genders. I always thought it made me feel closer to the baby. We usually had a name ready, and it help logistically by being able to have the right clothes ready.
It is a pretty touchy subject though. Some of my family was always very upset when we would find out.
Back to Top View joann10's Profile Search for other posts by joann10

Fuzzy
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: April 25 2007 at 11:36am | IP Logged Quote Fuzzy

I have found out with both my dc, and have loved it. We had names all picked out, and I felt I bonded well with the baby. It was really important for me, especially with DD, since I was a high risk pg, and had sonos every week for about 6 weeks or more, and I wanted to have a gender, because otherwise I call the babies "it" and that never seems right.    

As my sister always says "the Blessed Mother knew what she was having!"

Back to Top View Fuzzy's Profile Search for other posts by Fuzzy Visit Fuzzy's Homepage

Ruth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 25 2007 at 11:37am | IP Logged Quote Ruth

I love finding out early. We call the baby by name and have clothes ready, like Joann said. I'll be praying for you. How exciting!

mom to 7 miracles

My family blog

Loreto Rosaries
Back to Top View Ruth's Profile Search for other posts by Ruth Visit Ruth's Homepage

Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 25 2007 at 11:43am | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

I love finding out the gender.
And, even though we've asked for each one, we have not been denied the pleasure of a couple of surprises.

My second and third babies had their legs bunched up under them and we couldn't see anything. One was a girl, the other a boy.

For #1, she said she "thought" it was a boy yet all my dh's brother had produced girls as their first born. So we didn't race out buying blue. We waited, unsure till the end what the gender was. It was a boy!

The last two were definite girls! Almosst no doubt.

mom to 5
Cajun Cottage Under the Oaks
Back to Top View Cay Gibson's Profile Search for other posts by Cay Gibson Visit Cay Gibson's Homepage

mellyrose
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 25 2007 at 11:43am | IP Logged Quote mellyrose

We've found out each pregnancy.   Even though I knew #2 was a boy, though, we didn't decide on a name until he was actually born.

DH was on the fence about finding out the gender for #1 and #2 -- was okay with it this time. Funny thing is that his predictions have always been right! (mine, on the other hand, have always been wrong! LOL)

I've heard of others having the tech seal it in an envelope -- that might be a good option!

Melanie
Mom to Colin (6), Nate (4), baby girl on the way this May!
Back to Top View mellyrose's Profile Search for other posts by mellyrose

momwats8
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 25 2007 at 11:44am | IP Logged Quote momwats8

I am not the surprise kind of girl so I love to know ahead of time!!! My dh on the other doesn't want to know so we each get our way every other time. this time we will NOT be finding out because I found out with Maggie.

We do already have names picked out however. We like to pick names and so have been talking about them alreday. It looks like John Paul and calling him Jack if it is a boy and Laurie Grace for a girl. John Paul is my brother-in-law's name that is why we liked Jack for a nickname and Laurie is my Mother-in-law's name and Grace was my Grandma's name.

We will see if they change or not, but I think we are set on these. Now I just have to get through this first 12 weeks or so!!

http://www.momwats8.blogspot.com
Back to Top View momwats8's Profile Search for other posts by momwats8 Visit momwats8's Homepage

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 25 2007 at 11:45am | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

I've only had one u/s in 7 pregnancies.. and it was too early for that to even be a possibility. And I'm quite happy with that.

But I see nothing wrong with finding out. Though there are always the stories that no matter how sure the u/s was considered.. it turns out wrong.. and while the chances of that are fairly low.. it would bug me to always have that doubt lurking and I'd rather not "know".

And I get out of the calling baby "it" by calling the baby.. "the baby".. or just "baby". Pronouns are taking the place of a noun.. you don't have to use them

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

Lisbet
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 25 2007 at 11:45am | IP Logged Quote Lisbet

I appreciate all of these thoughts and opinions. Joann, I will admit that I am one that has been, ahem, opinionated on this issue in the past. I just don't know why I'm so curious this time.   

Abby, 15
Gabe, 13
Isaac, 11
Mary, 10
Sam, 9
Henry, 7
Molly, 6
Mark, 5
Greta, 3
Cecilia born 10.29.10
Josephine born 6.11.12

amyable
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 25 2007 at 11:46am | IP Logged Quote amyable

We wanted to find out with #1, and she didn't cooperate. With #2, they "weren't sure" but thought maybe a girl, and then when I went for a really late ultrasound (actually the day before I went into labor) the lady told me even though I didn't want to know for sure anymore! A similar thing happened with #3. We went in for a fetal echocardiogram and the tech told us "not to get rid of our baby clothes" knowing we had two girls at home. The nurses yelled at him for slipping!

OK, by the 4th, I really wanted to know! So we found out on purpose. I'm glad we did, I need all the help I can get bonding. We have an ultrasound in 2 weeks and I want to find out again. If it's another girl we'll need all 5 months left just to pick out a name.

Back to Top View amyable's Profile Search for other posts by amyable

Lisbet
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 25 2007 at 11:49am | IP Logged Quote Lisbet

Jodie, Ultrasounds are certainl not the norm for me, I've been through 6 other pregnancies without a single one, and the other two were early ultrasounds, my first for 'dates', (I was young and ignorant!) and my 8th for heavy bleading at 8 weeks.

This pregnancy has been so weird for me, like I said, this will be my 4th ultrasound. I do feel they have all been needed though.

Abby, 15
Gabe, 13
Isaac, 11
Mary, 10
Sam, 9
Henry, 7
Molly, 6
Mark, 5
Greta, 3
Cecilia born 10.29.10
Josephine born 6.11.12

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 25 2007 at 11:53am | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

You know Lisa, since you don't usually find out.. it might just be fun to do so this time since the opportunity is there without getting an u/s for only that purpose.

I just had a funny thought about the pronouns with unknown babies thing though.

Our last baby was in quite the hurry.. and decided to come before the midwife.. and so I had to spit out (I don't usually talk during labor) that the baby was crowning to my dh.. and I said "she's crowning" which is very interesting because we did not know.. and she was.. a she

And I'm the worst at predicting which it'll be.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

joann10
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 25 2007 at 12:10pm | IP Logged Quote joann10

All of my u/s have been correct(8 of 8),but I have had many, many u/s for the last 5 babies. If the baby was in a poor position to find out at one time, we would find out the next time. We were always very very sure.

Back to Top View joann10's Profile Search for other posts by joann10

MarilynW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 25 2007 at 12:10pm | IP Logged Quote MarilynW

Hi Lisa

We started finding out with the twins who were not expected to survive and were very high risk. We named them in utero and talked to them a lot and everyone prayed for them as Andrew and Nicholas from week 14 to week 31 when they were born.

Since then we have always found out and named the babies at the 20 week ultrasound. This time we have Michael Joseph - and having such powerful patrons has given us so much hope. The kids talk to him all the time - though given some of the preterm labor I would rather that they refrain from singing "Happy Birthday Michael" for at least 8 more weeks!!!

I have to confess - I never rule out a surprise - and we always have a girls name ready too!!!

Back to Top View MarilynW's Profile Search for other posts by MarilynW

Mrs.K
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: April 25 2007 at 3:51pm | IP Logged Quote Mrs.K

Lisa, You implied your husband would rather not find out so perhaps it would be best to honor his desire, rather than satisfy your own curiosity.
We've never found out with any of ours. We had six ultrasounds with Eliza and never found out! The techs are very good about telling us when to look away.
Jodie - same here! I had my fifth in the car and I told my husband he had to pull over because "she's coming!!!" and I didn't know Mary Rose was a 'she' ahead of time either.

My blogPondered in My Heart
Jesus,I trust in You!
Back to Top View Mrs.K's Profile Search for other posts by Mrs.K

Angel
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 25 2007 at 3:53pm | IP Logged Quote Angel

I didn't want to find out with our first... but my husband cracked a joke in the ultrasound room and the tech took it seriously and told him it was a boy! Since then we have found out on purpose every time. As we have added more and more boys, it's become the subject of quite a bit of suspense for our extended family. (Plus it gives my dd time to adjust to the fact that she is still the only girl.)

Now that we are expecting boy#5 we are running out of names (we have lots of GIRL names!!), so I imagine we will need the remaining 20 weeks to come up with one!

--Angela
Three Plus Two
Back to Top View Angel's Profile Search for other posts by Angel Visit Angel's Homepage

Matilda
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 25 2007 at 5:25pm | IP Logged Quote Matilda

I have to agree that I love finding out the gender beforehand. It helps me to bond and get to know the baby before all of those ugly postpartum hormones hit.

The midwife thought my oldest might have been twins due to his very early, very strong movements so an u/s was done and I couldn't help but see very clearly that he was a boy. He was a big flasher!

The second u/s was with my second pregnancy and it was just because I wanted to know. The first was a boy and I wanted to know if the second was going to be another boy or a girl. I think it was because they were only 16 months apart and I thought we might have to purchase some duplicate baby items.

With my third pregnancy we both decided we "wanted to be surprised". We had boy stuff and girl stuff so we were good. Well, we definitely got to be surprised. I had felt all along that this baby was a boy. I even told everyone that I could tell this baby was a boy. I can still hear the surprise in my midwife's voice when she told me "It's a...uh...a girl!"

With my last pregnancy we found out simply because my oldest was praying fervently for a brother. He doesn't handle disappointment well so we thought it best to get the suspense over with as soon as we could.

Now, that being said, my u/s technicians have always said they were 99% sure when they got a clear shot. But they never say 100% until the baby is born.

Waltzing Matilda
Back to Top View Matilda's Profile Search for other posts by Matilda

MarieC
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 25 2007 at 10:24pm | IP Logged Quote MarieC

Here's how we've done it....

K: no one knew
A: dh knew, but no one else
E: we all knew (she was the one they said was a blighted ovum that I'd miscarry...when I didn't I was very curious and wanted to know b/c I felt as though I'd neglected "bonding" with her in those weeks they said she "wasn't there")
W: we all knew
A: we all knew

With the last two it just seemed like the thing to do since we'd found out with dd3. That being said, I've been thinking that if we're blessed again I want to be surprised.

My brother and sil had 2 ultrasounds with their 2nd child...both said girl. They were really surprised when a boy showed up! They'd even gotten monogrammed gifts (in pink!) for Christmas (his b/d is mid-Jan.)

I'll keep you in my prayers tomorrow!

Out in the Orchard
Back to Top View MarieC's Profile Search for other posts by MarieC

Martha
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 26 2007 at 12:53am | IP Logged Quote Martha

With everyone of my boys - you'd have had to be blind not to know THAT was a boy.

With the girls, it was very obvious, that if it wasn't a girl - it was going to be a very self-conscience boy.

The tech put the thingy on the tummy and right there was the bum shot. So if you really don't want to know, have her turn the screen away from your viewing the entire time.

I see absoltuely nothing wrong with finding out or not. Us? We're too excited about every little detail to wait!

Back to Top View Martha's Profile Search for other posts by Martha Visit Martha's Homepage

Page of 3 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version