Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Mothering and Family Life (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 4Real Forums : Mothering and Family Life
Subject Topic: Catering to Kindergartener in lge family Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: April 18 2007 at 11:30pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

This year I have a different situation that I haven't had before. For the first time in yearsI haven't got anyone to group my new kindergartener(5.6) with. Her older brother(7.9) tends to tag along with his big brothers. And her little sister is a toddler not a pre-schooler (another first). Consequently I am only doing the basics and I mean very basics, maths and occasionally her reading with her. The read alouds are geared for the older group as are our rabbit trails.

At present I have dd13 mostly working on her own but she often 'drops in'. The three boys 12,10 and 7.9 are another group. And then the two younger girls 5.6 and 2.9 are grouped together. But that is really not working for dd5.

I know I need to spend time reading picture books with her and small chapter books. I need to gear some learning towards her level. This is a very bright girl who is like a sponge, but getting little watering she is also a high needs attention child (i think all families have one of these ) and therefore is annoying and fighting with siblings. If I could just give her some attention she is a different child.

How do I fit another one's needs in? Time ideas would be appreciated. I seem to have forgotten the kindergarten years Any suggestions/ideas on what to do/activites with dd would be greatly received.

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

JSchaaf
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 19 2007 at 7:47am | IP Logged Quote JSchaaf

Have you read Manager's of Their Homes? One thing they recommend for toddlers/preschoolers is scheduling time for them to be with older siblings. This benefits all three of you! Your 13 yo dd could spend 30 minutes daily with her and be in charge of her preschool. She could read to her, do math games, crafts, etc. etc. Depending on her motivation you could even turn over the planning of the preschool to your 13yo. I think your 5yo would thrive on the attention and the 13yo would learn lots about loving and serving and taking care of little ones!

You could also schedule another 30 min slot with a big brother. (Here I'm stereotyping male and female roles!) He could spend the 30 minutes doing gross motor stuff with her-running around the back yard, dancing, gymnastics.

I think 30 minutes with you, 30 min with older sis and 30 min with older brother would give you a great individualzed preschool/kindergarten program!!

Jennifer
Back to Top View JSchaaf's Profile Search for other posts by JSchaaf

JSchaaf
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 19 2007 at 7:50am | IP Logged Quote JSchaaf

I forgot to add-please keep us updated on what happens! My my youngest is five my oldest will be 12 and I'd like to have a plan ready....
Jennifer
Back to Top View JSchaaf's Profile Search for other posts by JSchaaf

juststartn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 19 2007 at 8:02am | IP Logged Quote juststartn

I have my oldest read to my youngers. It gives the oldest a chance to practice/show off/be helpful, and the youngers get read to, and a chance to learn all about sitting and paying attention...

Of course, my age difference isn't quite the same. My oldest is just 7, and the other two are almost 5 and 3 (today...sniff). But it really DOES help. Nothing saying your younger ds couldn't be reading to his younger sister...besides, having her sit in/listen to some of the good reading HE is doing for school isn't going to hurt in the long run. Its amazing what little tidbits they retain (but you know this already having more/older dc than I do).

Rachel

Sophia 4/19/04
John 5/7/07
David 5/7/07
Ava Maria, in the arms of Jesus, 9/5/08
Back to Top View juststartn's Profile Search for other posts by juststartn

Martha
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 19 2007 at 8:26am | IP Logged Quote Martha

umm, this may be a dumb question, but..

Do the 12, 10 , and nearly 8 yr olds not work independantly most of the time yet?

Once mine start reading well and are past the basics in math, they work the majority of the time on their own.

Leaving me time to :

work with the littles for about an hour a day, total, not always at once. Which is plenty of time for K/pre-K.

to gather them together for some subjects, such as science, history, and faith activities.

or to work with them individually on their personal difficult subjects or occassional bumps in the learning road.

In the mornings, they have their table work. Basicly workbook/independant stuff. While the older ones do that, I work with the little ones on phonics, basic math, and penmanship. (this is also when the baby takes her nap!)

In the afternoons, we gather to do group activities followed by individual teaching help in whatever who ever needs it.

This works for us.

Back to Top View Martha's Profile Search for other posts by Martha Visit Martha's Homepage

Marjorie
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: April 19 2007 at 1:34pm | IP Logged Quote Marjorie

Martha,

I have a just turned 6, 8 almost 9(3rd) and 10.5 (4th) and they don't work independantly. I spend so much time with the older two I have trouble doing much with my kindergartner. I try to get the older girls working on grammar, spelling, copywork etc. while I work with my K'er, but they come and ask me questions constantly.

Much of the rest of the time I am teaching math, explaining the grammer, etc.   They are both great readers, but there is more to school than reading. I want them to read and then work on their timelines, make history notations, etc. If I don't orchestrate, the work is not good enough, one rushes and the other (a perfectionist) takes too long.   I need to change something, but I don't know what. This morning I threatened to send my youngest to school next year because he is very bright and I am spending most of my time with the girls. He is bored. That said, the girls are outside doing independent nature study right now.   
What can you expect a 3rd/4th grader to do independently?   
I feel like I have no time to do anything beyond teach and clean up!

Lettres de mon Moulin
Back to Top View Marjorie's Profile Search for other posts by Marjorie

Martha
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 19 2007 at 5:33pm | IP Logged Quote Martha

Marjorie wrote:
I have a just turned 6, 8 almost 9(3rd) and 10.5 (4th) and they don't work independantly.

Oh my. I'm sorry. I went back to re-read my post and it sounds so mean and rather critical. I did not intend that at all. It was just an honest question though terribly phrased.

Marjorie wrote:
I spend so much time with the older two I have trouble doing much with my kindergartner.

They are both great readers, but there is more to school than reading.

I need to change something, but I don't know what.

What can you expect a 3rd/4th grader to do independently?

Well of course there is more to schooling than reading, but all education requires some independant learning. And reading is about more than just facts too. It's about following directions, developing reasoning skills, and making associations. Do not try to be a school at home.

My 3rd/4th graders can independantly"
Read their clipboard to know what assignments to do that day.
Read workbook directions and complete assignment accordingly.
Check off chores as they are completed.
Follow step-by-step directions and/or a posted routine.

Do they do it perfectly every time? No. Do they have questions once in a while? Yes. But the majority of the time, they can reason these things out on their own if given the guidance and practice to do so and motivation to do it well.

This gives me time for other subjects we do together. Science projects, history discussions, aid with writing assignments, or helping a younger one memorize multiplication tables or reading skills.

I certainly can't claim this is the case for every kid/hs-er/family, only that it is critical to our family. My children so far like this arrangement.

Back to Top View Martha's Profile Search for other posts by Martha Visit Martha's Homepage

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 20 2007 at 12:39am | IP Logged Quote Erin

Jennifer
You know I hadn't thought about using the older dc to help, I don't know why Well I do in a way, I'm trying to get dd13 to work harder and I'm trying to get the boys to have better study habits. I'll have to think more about this though, using the 12 and 10 yr boys.

Rachel
My ds10 enjoys reading to his sister I just haven't got him to do it doing lesson times.

Martha
The boys (same age as yours) don't work independently alot of the time. I am reaping the years of laxness and we are spending a large time on spelling, dictation and writing revision. Top that with some discipline issues and on a bad day lots of time is wasted. Also my ds7.9 is not reading well yet. My boys tend to be later and last year I let him get away with too much.

Martha wrote:
Once mine start reading well and are past the basics in math, they work the majority of the time on their own.

Leaving me time to :

work with the littles for about an hour a day, total, not always at once. Which is plenty of time for K/pre-K.

to gather them together for some subjects, such as science, history, and faith activities.

or to work with them individually on their personal difficult subjects or occassional bumps in the learning road.

In the mornings, they have their table work. Basicly workbook/independant stuff. While the older ones do that, I work with the little ones on phonics, basic math, and penmanship. (this is also when the baby takes her nap!)

In the afternoons, we gather to do group activities followed by individual teaching help in whatever who ever needs it.

This is my goal and what I am trying to work towards. I do have good days like this but at the moment I feel like I am juggling so many balls in the air.

My question is what should I do with dd5 when I do have spare times? I realised after I posted why this seems so different. For years I have had boys and my boys don't do well with formal work too young. So I have learnt to back off. Back when I had my first dd I had lots less children and so our learning style was more relaxed but yet I had lots of time to channel her. With this dd it is different. She loves learning, I need to create more work for her whereas with the boys just the basics was enough and I had to be satisfied with that. I read alot to them as well. I DO have to read more to dd 'talking' about it here has helped me remember. I need to get back to that level. That's the trouble it seems to have been years.

So Martha, what do you do with your little ones in that hour?

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

Martha
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 20 2007 at 8:44am | IP Logged Quote Martha

Erin wrote:
Jennifer
You know I hadn't thought about using the older dc to help, I don't know why Well I do in a way,

Rachel
My ds10 enjoys reading to his sister I just haven't got him to do it doing lesson times.

I do have good days like this but at the moment I feel like I am juggling so many balls in the air.

My question is what should I do with dd5 when I do have spare times?

With this dd it is different. She loves learning, I need to create more work for her whereas with the boys just the basics was enough and I had to be satisfied with that. I read alot to them as well. I DO have to read more to dd 'talking' about it here has helped me remember. I need to get back to that level. That's the trouble it seems to have been years.

So Martha, what do you do with your little ones in that hour?

My olders are not required to help their younger siblings. Oddly enough it appears I have been so worried and strict about this that it has become a forbidden apple to them. Now, it's a reward to help a younger sibling with their math or whatever.    Didn't plan it that way.

In about an hour, we cover the very basics. 1 page of phonics, math, penmanship, work on current prayer to be learned. (faith is built in there) We will often do more if they are doing well and want to do more. This is not a time for interruptions. The older ones know that if they have a question to go onto the next thing/assignment until I'm done with the littles. Also, I may not do it all at once if time is hectic or they have hit a rough spot or having a bad day.

About every other week, I try to lightly row a Five in a Row study in the afternoon or a Catholic Mosaic book. I'll expand it some with library books for the older ones. Or choose a book that relates to what the older ones are already studying.

Martha
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 20 2007 at 8:56am | IP Logged Quote Martha

Oh I do have some things I just tell them to do when I'm too busy to do table work with them.

they can:
Get paper and art stuff and draw what they see outside or give a pitcure narration of a book or event. They like doing this and will spend some time at it.

Same thing as above only with legos or play-doh/clay (These are restricted items here, so it's a real treat.)

Give them chores: empty dishwasher, clothes dryer, fold towels, etc..

Listen to lyrical science cds

Send them out back to collect 3 (10 or whatever as long as it's not over-whelming) of something to identify later. (3 different leaves, flowers, rocks, bugs, tree rubbings....)

They also like lacing shapes or stringing pasta.

BrendaPeter
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 20 2007 at 3:21pm | IP Logged Quote BrendaPeter

Erin wrote:

Leaving me My question is what should I do with dd5 when I do have spare times?

What about books on tapes? I'm not sure about the availability in Australia, of course.

I just re-read "The Well-Trained Mind" & I'm realizing that, as much as we do listen to tapes, we could do that more often. They all listen at lunch & breakfast but with all the different ages it's challenging to find something that works for everyone. It never dawned on me to get different books for different kids. My 8-year-old ds is just learning to read & he usually plays while his other 3 siblings read & our little ones nap. Yesterday I had him listen to Jim Weiss's tape on the Old Testament. He loved it & when his time was up, he was asking me all kinds of questions about Abram & Noah.

HTH!

Brenda (mom to 6)
Back to Top View BrendaPeter's Profile Search for other posts by BrendaPeter

Becky Parker
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 21 2007 at 6:59am | IP Logged Quote Becky Parker

ERin,
You are getting some great advice here and since mine is a little different it might not be helpful but I'll give er a whirl...
My dd is actually finishing 2nd so she is a little older but our problem is she is the only girl and even though I am able to meet her academic needs I was not meeting her emotional needs very well. (She is rather "high maintenance" as my dh says. - Quite needy of my time.) Anyway, in order to meet some of these needs I have been taking her to "girls lunch" every other Sat. when my dh is home with the boys. "Girls lunch" is just going to lunch somewhere. She always picks Wendy's! It doesn't have to be too expensive, sometimes I just get something to drink as I am not a big fan of fast food. But it has helped her disposition and she is much more willing to do her school work on her own, now that she has me, one on one, for this special time.
Just thought that might help a little.

Back to Top View Becky Parker's Profile Search for other posts by Becky Parker

Sorry, you cannot post a reply to this topic.
This forum has been locked by a forum administrator.

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version