Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Mothering and Family Life (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 4Real Forums : Mothering and Family Life
Subject Topic: how alike were your labors? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
mellyrose
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: April 16 2007 at 12:47pm | IP Logged Quote mellyrose

I know every labor is different . . . but I'm curious! How alike were your separate labors? Or maybe the signs that you were going into labor?

For my first son, I started losing my mucus plug and then about 2 days later my water broke, contractions started later, and he was born that day.

For my 2nd, same story. I didn't quite pay attention to the plug the 2nd time because it happened just as I was reaching 36 weeks, and #1 was born at 40 weeks.

Well, I'm just at 36 weeks and realized this AM that I'm losing my plug. Of course, nobody has a crystal ball, but I'm starting to think that we could be meeting my new one in a few days! Or I could be sitting here for another 4 weeks. LOL!

Just curious to know how alike (or different) your beginnings of labor have been. It'll give me something to do other than obsessively clean.

thanks ;)

Melanie
Mom to Colin(6) and Nate(4) and baby girl on the way (maybe sooner than we thought!)

Back to Top View mellyrose's Profile Search for other posts by mellyrose

Dawnie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 16 2007 at 2:22pm | IP Logged Quote Dawnie

Melanie,

In some ways mine have been similar, and in other ways different. A big mistake I have made that has caused me UNTOLD anxiety is to compare pregnancies and prelabor signs when in late pregnancy and get hung up on "this means I'll be going into labor soon!"

1st baby--a very bad backache (which I think was caused by the doctor stripping my membranes) a few days before I went into labor)...3 days after my due date by LMP, light contractions, 15 min. apart for a few hours in the am. Contractions stopped for an hour, then my water broke and BAM!, contractions were 5 min. or less apart and hard. Mary Beth was born 6 hrs. later. I think she might have been born sooner had I not had an epidural.

2nd baby--on my due date by my LMP, I had light contractions, 10-15 min. apart beginning in the afternoon. Over the course of about 14 hours, contractions gradually got closer together and harder. I stayed at home b/c I thought, "Well, this isn't as hard as it was last time...I'll go to the hospital when it's as hard as it was with the LAST baby when we left for the hospital." Can you see where this is going?    Anna was born (SURPRISE!) at home when I suddenly felt a very strong urge to push. Contractions did not get closer than 5 min. apart until about 30 min. before she was born. My water did not break...our doula had to rip it open after our daughter's head was born! I pushed for about 10 min. before Anna was born at home...the paramedics didn't even make it.

3rd baby--we planned a homebirth for this one...lots of prelabor contractions for weeks before labor started...3 days after my NFP due date (and 2 weeks after my due date by my LMP) I woke up at 2am soaking wet...my water broke and I started having contractions 30 min. later. Things progressed quickly and steadily and Lucia was born 2 1/2 hours later at home. I pushed for 5 min.

4th baby--we planned a hospital birth for this one for financial reasons...I had lots of prelabor contractions for weeks before I actually went into labor...2 weeks after my due date by LMP (and I did not have an NFP due date this time b/c I wasn't charting when I became pregnant), my water broke while I was doing a homeopathic regimin to encourage labor to begin. Contractions started soon after. They slowed down when we arrived at the hospital and picked back up after all the admitance stuff was done. Clara was born after less than 10 min. of pushing 4 hours after my water broke.   

So, the similarities have been that once things get serious, I am not in hard labor for very long...my pushing phase has been fairly short for all my unmedicated labors, and I have not gone very far overdue past an ACCURATE due date. My LMP due dates have been pretty inaccurate for my last 2 pregnancies b/c my cycles were irregular and ovulation occured late in the cycle. Also, 3 out of 4 of my labors have started with my water breaking. There hasn't been anything that has happened prior to labor beginning that has tipped me off that labor will begin soon, though. I had light, irregular contractions for weeks with my last 2 babies before labor REALLY started. I haven't ever noticed my mucus plug, either. I only know that the baby will be born soon when my water breaks or the contractions are hard enough that I can't walk or talk through them.

Go find something fun to do and don't even think about "is labor going to start soon???" The contractions will get your attention when it's serious!

Dawn

Fuzzy
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: April 16 2007 at 3:08pm | IP Logged Quote Fuzzy

Melanie,

Is your bag packed??

I have only 2, and my second I was induced, so it is harder for me to answer you about similar labors. But, they say that things go faster after you have more babies.

I hope you have a smooth labor and a healthy baby! Keep us updated!

Back to Top View Fuzzy's Profile Search for other posts by Fuzzy Visit Fuzzy's Homepage

Matilda
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 16 2007 at 3:12pm | IP Logged Quote Matilda

About the only thing similar in my four labors is that they were all 9 days late. My girls were both induced at the hospital (intentionally broke my water). Once labor started, the girls were born about 3-5 hours later. Both of the boys took a lot longer (my husband calls it the square peg/round hole syndrome). My last delivery was actually the only one that started completely naturally. My oldest was "induced" at home with castor oil.

I have never really noticed when I lost my mucus plug. I usually have contractions on and off for the weeks leading up to delivery.

I agree that the best thing to do is distract yourself, but its also easier said than done. Keep us posted!

Waltzing Matilda
Back to Top View Matilda's Profile Search for other posts by Matilda

Maryan
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 16 2007 at 3:30pm | IP Logged Quote Maryan

Well - except for my third child when I fell out of an attic trying to pack and move before the baby came (funny, that induces labor) -- all mine have been the same. Even though they say they're all different!!

The only difference is that with each pregnancy I get more and earlier Braxton Hicks contractions to add to the mix. And all of mine have been fast - I'm tall; the nurse told me that they tend to go hand in hand!

I'm with Fuzzy, I'd pack just in case! And then because you're ready, the baby will show up in four weeks!

Back to Top View Maryan's Profile Search for other posts by Maryan

Celeste
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: April 16 2007 at 4:13pm | IP Logged Quote Celeste

My five were all similar in that I have lots of Braxton Hicks for months before the actual day; pre-transition labor has been pretty easy; transition (you know, when you realize an epidural would be a good thing after all, but it's too late) has been AWFUL with all but one (the one born in under two hours after three pushes--oh, and transition was at home; maybe that's why); and each time a girl was born!

My water broke naturally only once (that was the shortest labor--loud POP at 4:30 in the morning, baby at 6). Doctor broke the bag for #1 and #5. Nos. 2 and 3 water broke with the first push.

I don't ever remember losing a mucus plug, though I religiously watched for it.

Another similarity: I usually had been walking (zoo, shopping) alot the day before (and not drinking as much water).

It's so hard to watch and wait in those last weeks! I'll be lifting you up in prayer.

Celeste
Mother of 5. Daughters.
Back to Top View Celeste's Profile Search for other posts by Celeste

mellyrose
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 16 2007 at 7:18pm | IP Logged Quote mellyrose

Thanks for the replies :)   I know not to count on anything . . . this morning I got excited, but realize that I could still be waiting 4 more weeks. I did finish packing my bag, though -- which was probably a good thing!

I know I asked for distraction, but unfortunately that happened with our family dog being diagnosed with a large cancerous tumor and being euthanized today. It was sudden and unexpected, but we believe it was the most humane thing to do for her. She would've been 10 in September and we've had her since a pup. Please offer a few prayers for our family, especially Nate (my almost 5 yr old) who is taking it very hard.

Melanie
Back to Top View mellyrose's Profile Search for other posts by mellyrose

Martha
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 16 2007 at 7:52pm | IP Logged Quote Martha

How were they alike?
They all hurt.

Back to Top View Martha's Profile Search for other posts by Martha Visit Martha's Homepage

Dawnie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 16 2007 at 10:10pm | IP Logged Quote Dawnie

Martha,

Dawn

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 16 2007 at 10:28pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

hmmm nope..

I can usually tell that they're real contractions once they start.. but one time it was really hard to tell..

several were typical length..

one was umm 3 hours from when I thought I was in early labor.. contractions but very irregular.. even for me.. midwife missed that one because it wasn't any different from the typical length until the last 30 minutes.. and by the time we were at that point it was too late to try and get my midwife here sooner (she was on her way already)

one was more like 36 hours.. with the first 34-35 hours being very mild contractions.. only way to tell anything was going on was to check dilation and since I was progressing it had to have been labor

I've had one born at 38 weeks, two at 40 weeks, one at 41 weeks, two at 42 weeks and one at 43.5 weeks.

one was water breaking and then contractions starting within a few hours

several were waking up with contractions

some were long second stage and some weren't.. I carry the baby high.. so that depending on how labor progresses and where baby starts at.. I may have to push longer.

Oh I know.. I ended up with a baby after each one

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

Anne McD
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 17 2007 at 3:53pm | IP Logged Quote Anne McD

My first was textbook-- my water broke the day before my due date, and I gave birth at 9:30 the morning of. As for number two, I woke up a few days before my due date with really bad gas. Couldn't do anything about it, so I went back to sleep. Up at 7am with those gas pains again, and wouldn't you know, they were coming every four to five minutes for 30 seconds! That was not what I remembered for labor pains!!

And I second Martha-- man, it hurts!

James 8
Katie 6
William 3 1/2
Benedict Joseph 1
and baby on the way! 10/14
Back to Top View Anne McD's Profile Search for other posts by Anne McD

asplendidtime
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 17 2007 at 5:29pm | IP Logged Quote asplendidtime

Mine have all seriously varied. Some my water broke, some I had it broken after labour had begun... Some were super fast, like a train out of control, some slow, I was able to manage better...

Congratulations! 'Hope you are holding your new baby soon.

Mary 14,
Tim 13,
Jonah 12,
Josh 10,
Zoe 9,
Will 7,
Peter 6,
Laura-Mae 4,
Emily-Joy 2,
Genevieve & Gabriella 1
Back to Top View asplendidtime's Profile Search for other posts by asplendidtime Visit asplendidtime's Homepage

folklaur
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 19 2007 at 7:55pm | IP Logged Quote folklaur

Mine were pretty different....

1st - labor lasted only about three hours total. Almost had her IN the ambulance ( the EMT's were saying, "Don't push! OKay? Just hold on!" Labor was fast, and pretty intense, but really, not bad at all....(and she was over 9 pounds, no one really believed I was that far along, which is why we had the ambulance scenario....)

2nd - figured since first was "easy", 2nd would be even easier. HAHA. Still not bad, but lasted from about 7:30pm until 12:15am...he was sideways, the smallest of my three, the longest labor, and the most painful by a LOT...

3rd -- woke up at about 12 am, as water broke....labor not bad, lasted about 4 hours....she was the biggest of the bunch at 9 and a half pounds.....

I have never experienced the "losing of the plug". I only had one instance of thinking I was in labor before I was with the last one. With the last one especially, the doctor was sure I was going to have her for almost a month before I actually did....my water has always broken right at the beginning or so....and I didn't really experience the pre-labor contractions, I don't think.

I have fast labors, and they are relatively easy, but I think that is becasue God gives me a break since I am so violently sick for the entire nine months prior...
Back to Top View folklaur's Profile Search for other posts by folklaur

Nina Murphy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 19 2007 at 8:30pm | IP Logged Quote Nina Murphy

Okay, Dawn....how DID you do that changing avatar-thing?!!!!

and 2 yet-to-be-met
Back to Top View Nina Murphy's Profile Search for other posts by Nina Murphy

Nina Murphy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 19 2007 at 8:35pm | IP Logged Quote Nina Murphy

My first labor was completely unique. But then my last 7 have been very similar. All 8 have included a pushing stage of I would say, two pushes. The initial push to get the baby down and crowning, and then the actual entrance....of the head. Then shoulders (but panting to keep from pushing), then rest of body out with turning/guiding of OB or my husband in one case.

I have been told I have a wide pelvis (maybe because I am tall---other tall women?) and that other women have a long pushing phase, sometimes an hour. I can not even imagine. I have no point of reference here as it is very dramatic once I am at 10 cm!

God bless you, mama!

and 2 yet-to-be-met
Back to Top View Nina Murphy's Profile Search for other posts by Nina Murphy

doris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 23 2007 at 4:52pm | IP Logged Quote doris

The similarity between my three is that in each case labour started at the same time -- I woke up before light with the first contractions.

In the case of dd1, she was born a whole day after the first contractions; ds two hours later ; and dd2, four hours later. (I was terrified that I would have her in the car, but in fact it was a 'textbook' labour, long enough not to be silly but not too long.)

I had a show with dd2 four days before labour began. With the other two, I only had a show when labour began.

Keep up the cleaning! (I need to have another baby if for no other reason as that's the only time I obsessively clean the skirting boards. )

Sorry, you cannot post a reply to this topic.
This forum has been locked by a forum administrator.

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version