Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Mothering and Family Life (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 4Real Forums : Mothering and Family Life
Subject Topic: How many times a day... Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Online Status: Offline
Posted: June 12 2005 at 8:51am | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

do you run your dishwasher?

your washer?

your vacuum cleaner?

Just wondering

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)
Back to Top View Elizabeth's Profile Search for other posts by Elizabeth

Bridget
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 12 2005 at 10:11am | IP Logged Quote Bridget

We run the dishwasher twice a day. More if I'm baking or we have company.

We do about 3 loads of laundry a day.

Vacuuming? At least 3 times a day in our main living area. Sometimes when we get home from the store, I think we should just dump out a box of cereal on the floor to save ourselves the trouble later.

Back to Top View Bridget's Profile Search for other posts by Bridget Visit Bridget's Homepage

Donna
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 12 2005 at 11:03am | IP Logged Quote Donna

We usually run the dishwasher twice a day, do two loads of laundry a day.....and, vacuum?.....what's that? I guess I need to work on that one

~Donna

Jacob, Sam, and Regina with God
Grandbabies Leigha and Elsie

Moments Like These

Back to Top View Donna's Profile Search for other posts by Donna Visit Donna's Homepage

Mary K
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 12 2005 at 12:38pm | IP Logged Quote Mary K

dishwasher: at least twice
laundry: 2 or more
vacuum: we can only run it for 5 minutes, then let it cool and run for another 5 minutes, or the motor will overheat
Mary-NY
mom to 6 (7 in Nov.)
Back to Top View Mary K's Profile Search for other posts by Mary K

Leonie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 13 2005 at 12:41am | IP Logged Quote Leonie

Dishwasher twice.

Laundry twice - more when the big boys visit!

Vacuum once - dustbust OFTEN!

Leonie in Sydney

ALmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 13 2005 at 1:29am | IP Logged Quote ALmom

dishwasher 1X - my dh got color coded glasses, he still plans on color coded other dishes so we re-use the same glass for many days. We usually only drink water.

washer - 3X if the little boys remember to bring down laundry and get clean clothes all the way to the drawer. Otherwise it gets backed up and we might end up with 1 load one day and 6 the next with some socks not even unrolled (evidence that we are re-washing what was clean before it got mixed up with dirty.

vacuum - not nearly as often as we should as we have a dog that sheds. The whole house gets maybe 1X per week unless 2 yo wanders or dh decides on popcorn in the family room. However, the kitchen gets either swept/vacuumed at least 3X every day - more if we have 2nd and 3rd breakfast and lunch. We decided to adopt the oriental custom of shoes off on entering and have a big basket by the back door for everyone's shoes. We are still all in training so this is not always followed , but when it is, our dust/dirt is reduced tremendously!

If only I cleaned the bathrooms often enough! Does anyone have a good routine for bathroom clean-up. My dh and I think an outhouse might be the solution!

Janet
Back to Top View ALmom's Profile Search for other posts by ALmom

JSchaaf
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 13 2005 at 8:51am | IP Logged Quote JSchaaf

Dishwasher-once a day. It may be less in the upcoming weeks, my dd's have starting fighting over the kids plates (does food really taste better off of the Disney princess plate?) so all "fun" dishes are in timeout and they are using paper plates for awhile...

Laundry-one load daily, maybe two if there is a wet bed to contend with in the am

Vacuum-twice weekly, Tuesdays and Fridays.

Jennifer
Back to Top View JSchaaf's Profile Search for other posts by JSchaaf

Molly Smith
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 13 2005 at 9:51am | IP Logged Quote Molly Smith

Dishwasher - 1x per day, dh starts it before he goes to bed (late) and I empty it first thing in a.m. We do use color coded plastic cups and only drink water, so everyone only has one cup going in each day.

Laundry - about 2 per day. Sometimes one or none and then 3 or 4 next day, but I prefer 2 per day.

Vacuum - whole house only once per week, but we have mostly hardwood on main level that gets swept several times per day.

ALmom wrote:
If only I cleaned the bathrooms often enough! Does anyone have a good routine for bathroom clean-up. My dh and I think an outhouse might be the solution!

Wipes! You can buy all kinds of wipes now and they're great for daily clean-ups. When I'm in a good habit, I wipe down our powder and master bathrooms every day. I can take one Clorox wipe to the door handle, sink handles and faucet, zip it around the sink and ledges, take same or new wipe (depending on how dirty) across top of toilet, flusher, seat, under the seat and outside of bowl and toss. A windex wipe does the job on the mirror and that's it! Roughly two minutes of work for a relatively clean bathroom.

Jeanne
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: June 13 2005 at 1:53pm | IP Logged Quote Jeanne

Dishwasher-1 to 2 times a day

Washer- I try for at least 2 a day

vacuum carpet rooms once a week(no food allowed in these rooms and we take our shoes off at the door.)
In the kitchen I sweep about once a day- I should do it more!!!

P hi li ppians   4:13
Back to Top View Jeanne's Profile Search for other posts by Jeanne

Bridget
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 13 2005 at 2:18pm | IP Logged Quote Bridget

Jeanne wrote:

In the kitchen I sweep about once a day- I should do it more!!!

I try to keep up with the floors because I hate walking on crumbs and all the junk that gets tracked in. Also, I'm so afraid of getting mice or bugs. We live in an older house in the country and my impression is that once you have an infestation, it's hard to get rid of.

Most of these daily kinds of chores my children do. Naturally, the training process is on-going and I could do it better and faster myself, but their help is invaluable to the family. I tell them often how much I appreciate them.

Back to Top View Bridget's Profile Search for other posts by Bridget Visit Bridget's Homepage

rivendellmom
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: June 13 2005 at 6:15pm | IP Logged Quote rivendellmom

Dishwasher- broken, so we've been hand washing after meals, but using paper plates too.

Laundry- 1-2 loads a day

Vacuum- Once a week (should be more as our black Lab sheds a lot)

I've had a pregnancy smell thing and currently love the smell of bleach, so the counters and bathrooms are getting done fairly often.

jdostalik
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 13 2005 at 7:10pm | IP Logged Quote jdostalik

Dishwasher-2 times a day, more if we have people over

Laundry-3 loads a day

Vacuum-Every day, probably need to vacuum twice a day and now that Tess is crawling everywhere--sweeping the floors after each meal and mopping at least every other day!

Today I really attacked the kitchen floors--on my hands and knees--man, was it really dirty in the corners--now the floors are clean enough to eat on--well, for a few hours anyway-until the dog, cats and kids start getting hungry!

Let the Little Ones Come

Back to Top View jdostalik's Profile Search for other posts by jdostalik Visit jdostalik's Homepage

MEBarrett
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 14 2005 at 6:53am | IP Logged Quote MEBarrett

Dishwasher - 2x a day

Laundry - 2 or 3 loads a day

Vacuum - once a day. I broke down and bought a second vacuum for upstairs and I am so glad. The heavy duty one stays downstairs in the school/play area and the light weight one upstairs. The kids do most of the vacuuming. I sweep and swiffer constantly.

Bathrooms - very "flylady" I wipe and swish every time I am in there.

Tales from the Bonny Blue House
O Night Divine
Back to Top View MEBarrett's Profile Search for other posts by MEBarrett Visit MEBarrett's Homepage

saintanneshs
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 14 2005 at 3:57pm | IP Logged Quote saintanneshs

Dishwasher: 1x/day, usually at night...we do the colored cup thing too...

I loved Jennifer's comment: "...so all 'fun' dishes are in timeout."

I had a temper tantrum a few months ago and threw out all of the Pooh utensils (while the children watched in horror!) b/c I was so sick of hearing them fight about whose turn it was...ahhhh!

Laundry: Mondays and Thursdays, 2 loads each day and    on Saturday I do all of the extras and I claim everything found in the pockets as my own (I have a nice collection of screws and "nature walk" rocks.)

Vacuum: um...thought that's what the dog was for! Really, I run it about once a day in the high-use areas
and once a week in the other areas (I can't stand crumbs and junk sticking to my feet and the dog hair is the worst!)

ALmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 15 2005 at 1:56am | IP Logged Quote ALmom

Kristine in her reference to vacuuming said that is what she thought dogs were for and our dog does keep the kitchen table area free from crumbs if we don't vacuum -- but our crazy dog developed allergies to people food so we try to be kind and keep it clean . As always, we could do better.

Yes, our dc help with chores and that's one area we are focusing on this summer - as we noticed a certain imbalance in chore doing. Everything is being re-evaluated and re-shifted once more. Has anyone done the clean in pairs thing? Someone told us a system where they pair an older with younger for training. I'd like to see various examples of how this works in real life as I think it may help some of our younger to be more accountable.

Another question - do you find yourself forgetting who has what chore and then calling on the more reliable child to do someone else's chore a lot without realizing it? I have found that happening to us. What system do you use for keeping track of who has what chore? - especially if you have to divide up a chore by day of the week due to schedules.

Janet
Back to Top View ALmom's Profile Search for other posts by ALmom

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: June 16 2005 at 6:49am | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

We run the dishwasher two or three times a day.
I do three loads of laundry a day.
We run the vacuum cleaner incessantly and the steam cleaner almost as much. I've discovered that the steam cleaner I bought for the carpets does a great job on vinyl. But it's extremely time consuming.
And, like Molly, I love bathroom wipes .

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)

Willa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 16 2005 at 9:21am | IP Logged Quote Willa

Dishwasher -- don't have one, make use of paper plates and do short dishwashing sessions throughout the day

Laundry -- 1-2 loads a day
Vacuum -- once a day -- we have mostly wood floors so we do more sweeping and swiffing (sp?) than vacuuming.

Janet, we have a chore rotation posted on the fridge. The jobs rotate weekly, things like vacuuming the upstairs, cleaning the bathroom, etc. We try to have one day (Monday) to do a big clean-up -- a Blessing Hour though it takes longer than an hour -- and then sometimes do a second one in the week if company's coming or the house got trashed. Then there are maintenance jobs like daily sweeping that they are supposed to do daily.

Then in addition we have dinnertime jobs which are fixed to one person -- 12yo feeds the dog, 16yo takes out the trash -- etc. We used to rotate these too but it works better to have them fixed. Once in a while, if the child is gone at dinnertime, I take over or assign another kid.

I really try to avoid relying on our reliable child to do more than his share... isn't it funny that we naturally "reward" the conscientious child by giving him more to do?? We have a slot in the weekly rotation called Mother's Helper -- that child doesn't have ANY big clean-up jobs for that week but he is "on call" to run all the miscellaneous errands and do the extra jobs that come up.   If I have TOO much for him to do, that's the child that gets some special treatment that week -- whether the extra cookie at dessert time, or whatever.   They enjoy the break from the yucky big jobs and usually don't mind the extra running for that week.

The way I keep track of who's on what Set of jobs is by remembering who is my helper and figuring it out from there!

I said I try to avoid relying on one or two children but similar to you, when I ask "Can someone do X?" there are 2 children who will jump to help while the others get very occupied in what they are doing. Funny, isn't it!

Take Up and Read
Back to Top View Willa's Profile Search for other posts by Willa

Kelly
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 16 2005 at 10:09pm | IP Logged Quote Kelly

Dishwasher: 2x/day

Laundry: average 3x/day

Vacuum: 1x/day on average (including our little Oreck hand-vac which we use a LOT)

Quick Straightening Up of School Room/Play Room: 1x/day

Kelly (9 in the house)

PS My cousin got a call from her 9 yo daughter's teacher because the teacher was concerned about dd's language skills. Apparently, dd didn't know what an iron was! My cousin, feeling "busted" by the laundry police, quickly went out and bought an iron just so her dd would have that bit of "cultural literacy" in her lexicon!
Back to Top View Kelly's Profile Search for other posts by Kelly

Kelly
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 16 2005 at 10:11pm | IP Logged Quote Kelly

PPS We LOVE bathroom wipes AND windex wipes, too!

Kelly in FL
Back to Top View Kelly's Profile Search for other posts by Kelly

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: June 17 2005 at 4:12am | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

Kelly wrote:
My cousin got a call from her 9 yo daughter's teacher because the teacher was concerned about dd's language skills. Apparently, dd didn't know what an iron was! My cousin, feeling "busted" by the laundry police, quickly went out and bought an iron just so her dd would have that bit of "cultural literacy" in her lexicon!

See what cultural forces against which we are protecting our children??

Page of 2 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version