Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Language Arts Come Alive
 4Real Forums : Language Arts Come Alive
Subject Topic: Question about ILL..... Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Bella
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: April 14 2007 at 11:10am | IP Logged Quote Bella

Okay, at the risk of all of you knowing how much I need hand-holding, here I go....

Is there a TM that goes along with this curriculum? After flipping through many pages of the current edition, I am feeling quite incompetent in teaching my dd. I am coming off of Rod & Staff, but we have both decided we needed a change. I like the variety of ILL, so I would like to use it if I can.

Feeling a little stupid.

Thankyou!

Christy
Back to Top View Bella's Profile Search for other posts by Bella

chicken lady
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 14 2007 at 1:04pm | IP Logged Quote chicken lady

I don't know about you needing hand holding, I don't even know what ILL is??????
Back to Top View chicken lady's Profile Search for other posts by chicken lady Visit chicken lady's Homepage

Bella
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 14 2007 at 1:48pm | IP Logged Quote Bella

Oh! It Intermediate Language Lessons by Emma Serl.

Thankyou!

mp

chicken lady
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 14 2007 at 2:15pm | IP Logged Quote chicken lady

Sorry Christy, I am still no help
Back to Top View chicken lady's Profile Search for other posts by chicken lady Visit chicken lady's Homepage

MarieA
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: April 14 2007 at 7:37pm | IP Logged Quote MarieA

Hi Christy,

I love Intermediate Language Lessons. First, read the Preface as it will give you and overview of the book's features. Each lesson will tell you what to do.

If you want a written plan for using the book, you can get the grades 4 and 5 syllabi from Mother of Divine Grace School. You can also get a 2 year lesson breakdown from Mater Amabilis. It is on their Level 2 page.

Enjoy the book!

Marie    

Back to Top View MarieA's Profile Search for other posts by MarieA

Corrine
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: April 18 2007 at 5:52am | IP Logged Quote Corrine

Christy, I know what you mean. Grammar is not one my strengths, and I struggle with whether I'm directing the lessons correctly. Truthfully, I struggle with whether I'm punctuating my posts correctly and my oldest comes up with some incredible sentences that I'm just not prepared to teach her how to punctuate. I'm learning the "whys" of a great many rules right along with her and I think R&S makes my inexperience less of a problem. So, we use both Rod & Staff and ILL.

We do the R&S lessons orally, unless it's a writing assignment or diagramming, and we don't do every exercise in each lesson. It takes us about 15 minutes to read the lesson and go through the exercises. We do four lessons a week

I pick and chose from ILL - picture study, poem memorization, and dictation. I prefer most ILL's writng assignments to R&S's except for the outlining and notetaking R&S offers. We do 2 or 3 lessons a week depending on whether there is a writing assignment or not. She works on the writing assignments on her own and I give her a 3 day to a week deadline.

Hope this is helpful

Back to Top View Corrine's Profile Search for other posts by Corrine Visit Corrine's Homepage

Bella
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 18 2007 at 3:39pm | IP Logged Quote Bella

Thanks for your replies Ladies!!

Well, after a couple of weeks doing ILL, dd told me yesterday that she wants to go back to R&S. I like your approach ,and your timing was perfect Corrine! Maybe combining the two would fit us.

I want to continue with ILL-and will check into the suggestions you gave Marie.

One question Corrine....my dd is 10.5 yo,and considered to be in the 4th grade. She has been finished with R&S 3 for over a month now. When I looked at the table of contents for grade 4, it was pretty much the same with a little more writing. She is very bright, and only behind due to some health issues I've had, so we've had to take time off here and there. Okay! So, do you think it would be okay to just order grade 5? We school year round with breaks according to family needs.....

Also, I am *really* interested in Bravewriter. It may be overkill, but I feel there is a wonderful writer deep inside her. Just FYI!

Warmly,
Christy

Corrine
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: April 18 2007 at 6:25pm | IP Logged Quote Corrine

We skipped R&S 4. My (now 11yo) daughter wanted to try something different after R&S 3 but we both found it much more time consuming to wing a language arts program. We went right into R&S 5 with no problem. My 9 yo is in R&S 3 now and the only difference is a little more writing and a more indepth study of the parts of speech. I doubt you'll have any problem.

I've looked at Bravewriter, too. It's a little pricey for me to buy without having an opportunity to go through the book and really we do the teatimes, copywork, and dictation already. My 11 yo writes for pleasure all the time and I have her writing 1 or 2 assignments a week plus 1 written narration a week. I don't want to burn her out with too many writing activities. However, I'd love to see a copy of the Bravewriter book. I'm hoping to see it at the convention I'll be going to in May.

Back to Top View Corrine's Profile Search for other posts by Corrine Visit Corrine's Homepage

Bella
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 19 2007 at 5:13pm | IP Logged Quote Bella

Thanks Corrine-you've been a big help. I think we will go ahead and jump to grade 5. I love the idea of picking from both R and ILL.

God Bless,
Christy

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version