Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: Orthodox dioceses/low cost of living area Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
rm4mrfrus
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: April 11 2007 at 3:53pm | IP Logged Quote rm4mrfrus

Along the lines of my neighbors moving, our parish is losing our very holy priest and in our diocese, the chances of getting another one is slim. As we look at the overall picture here in our diocese, I become worried for our children as they grow up and wonder if this is not a bad place to raise them. In view of that, I am looking for info on other dioceses that would be a better place to raise our children. We moved out of the Arlington diocese as the cost of living was just too high for us so that one is out for us even though our first choice would be to remain in Va. Any suggestions?

Anne McD
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 11 2007 at 3:57pm | IP Logged Quote Anne McD

I don't know a lot about the diocese, but a friend of mine lives in Nashville, and her children attend a school run by the Dominicans, and it sounds absolutely fantastic. I do know that she and her husband are quite solid in their faith, and I've never heard of any problems with their parish/diocese from them.

I'll say a prayer to the Holy Spirit that He guides you to exactly where you are to be!

James 8
Katie 6
William 3 1/2
Benedict Joseph 1
and baby on the way! 10/14
Back to Top View Anne McD's Profile Search for other posts by Anne McD

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: April 11 2007 at 4:00pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Oh Hollee, I'm sorry to hear that you are losing your priest. I know you had great plans for parish speakers and such which will probably change now. Unfortunately, I can't help with diocese info in the area you are looking at. If you want to move west though we have a great orthodox diocese in Denver. But the cost of living is not low here in the metro area (though it is in the far rural reaches of the diocese).

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

rm4mrfrus
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: April 11 2007 at 4:36pm | IP Logged Quote rm4mrfrus

Anne,
Putting Nashville on my list of future possibilities! I've been there once many years ago for a quick vacation but don't remember much!

Mary, Oh yes, I see the changes coming fast and furious! Truthfully I am really worried. Dh went to a meeting last night and was told that the position has been open 2 weeks now and nobody wants it, but that someone will be moved here to fill it.

We were able to schedule a visit from Priests for Life at the end of this month, but I am not sure what we'll be able to do afterwards.

Actually VA only has these two dioceses, so I am looking for info on anywhere else in the US...Denver would be great if it wasn't expensive! Dh's job is 100% commission so we try to keep everything as low as possible! Some months are good and some are terrible!

Celeste
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: April 11 2007 at 5:54pm | IP Logged Quote Celeste

Can't beat Lincoln, NE, for orthodoxy, imho. Cost of living is not bad (e.g., real estate: a 1.5 mill house in Arlington would be under 400 thou here) (that's a guestimate). Property taxes aren't great, and sales tax isn't either, and winter is cold; but Lincoln is a great place to raise a family, and ALL of our priests are fabulous, and our bishop is marvelous. PM me if you want more information.

I have lived many places in the U.S., and I have to say I love love love Lincoln.

Celeste
Back to Top View Celeste's Profile Search for other posts by Celeste

Jeanna
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: April 11 2007 at 6:06pm | IP Logged Quote Jeanna

I lived in Omaha, NE and it was wonderful! I would definately second Lincoln too.

dd11; dd9; ds7; dd6; dd6; dd4; ds3

"There is only one tragedy in the end, not to have been a saint."
- Leon Bloy
Back to Top View Jeanna's Profile Search for other posts by Jeanna

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 11 2007 at 6:58pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

The problem with low cost of living areas is the lack of jobs.. we're in the Diocese of Baker, Oregon and it is nice.. cost of living is very low.. but depending on what your dh does.. there may be no job market. If you do a search on Bishop Vasa, you'll see some of what he has to say.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

knowloveserve
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 12 2007 at 11:03am | IP Logged Quote knowloveserve

JodieLyn wrote:
The problem with low cost of living areas is the lack of jobs.. we're in the Diocese of Baker, Oregon and it is nice.. cost of living is very low.. but depending on what your dh does.. there may be no job market. If you do a search on Bishop Vasa, you'll see some of what he has to say.

Exactly. Stubenville, OH is Catholic central... very low costs. Commute to Pittsburgh maybe?

rm4mrfrus
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: April 12 2007 at 11:13am | IP Logged Quote rm4mrfrus

I'm adding Lincoln, Steubenville and Oregon to my research list. Dh is a mortgage loan officer with most of his clientele coming from the No VA area (and Front Royal). My hope would be that he could continue that even if we moved out of state. He is not so sure of that, but it did work when we moved out of No VA to here, so maybe? Thankfully his bank is licensed to do mortgages in all 50 states so that helps too.

If anyone else has any good suggestions, I'm open!

monica
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: April 12 2007 at 11:17am | IP Logged Quote monica

i live in romania, which is the perfect combo of many orthodox churches and a low cost of living
but seriously, my parents live in Lexington, Ky and there are at least 3 orthodox churches there and i know the cost of living is much less than in other areas. especially in the surrounding counties. hth
Back to Top View monica's Profile Search for other posts by monica Visit monica's Homepage

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: April 12 2007 at 12:37pm | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

Hollee,
You are asking about orthodox Catholic dioceses and not Eastern Orthodox dioceses, right?

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)
Back to Top View Elizabeth's Profile Search for other posts by Elizabeth

monica
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: April 14 2007 at 7:28am | IP Logged Quote monica

oooops! guess i misunderstood the question. well, lexington still does have a low cost of living, though i cant say what orthodox catholic dioceses are there. sorry for butting in where i really didnt need to.
monica
Back to Top View monica's Profile Search for other posts by monica Visit monica's Homepage

monalisa
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: April 14 2007 at 10:36am | IP Logged Quote monalisa

We live in Wichita KS- plenty of jobs, population nearing 1/2 million, but still feels like a smaller town. Like Omaha and Lincoln we are a pretty famously orthodox diocese. (We are also a stewardship diocese, so you can send your kids for free to the private, Catholic parish schools if you are tithing and active in your parish- just in case!!!) Real estate is CHEAP- we live in a 5 bedroom historical home in a very nice, old neighborhood. The house cost 124,000. Houses range from under 100k up to 200, 300, 400, up to 1 or 2 million all together in our 100 year old neighborhood. Oh, and there's no traffic here- LOL!    
Back to Top View monalisa's Profile Search for other posts by monalisa

Kristen in TN
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: April 14 2007 at 2:45pm | IP Logged Quote Kristen in TN

Hi Hollee,

I'm going to second Diocese of Nashville, particularly Lawrence county (or Giles or Wayne Counties close to Lawrenceburg.)

Reasons:

1. We live here and are in dire need of another Catholic homeschool family!

2. You can live on a Wal-Mart salary here.

3. We have a wonderful chuch and priest (although he is no spring chicken anymore.)

4. If we lose that priest you are close to St. Michael's church in St. Florian, AL (near Florence) and that is an excellent parish.

5. (most important) We have an Excellent newish Bishop here who is making wonderful changes so far. Fr. Pokorsky (co-founder of Adoremus) thinks he is good and was even there for his ordination Mass. Everytime we have met him we come away feeling very hopeful.

I can even recommend a good real estate person and if you e-mail me privately, I can send you some houseing info.

Also you can go to www.realtracs.com, go to Lawrence Co. and view the lovely real estate.

One other thing is that we have met a few solidly Catholic people, spread out in different parts. Also, you would not be too terribly far from Huntsville and there is a wonderful group of Catholic homeschoolers there to get together with once in a while (like yesterday at our annual retreat to Hanceville. Hi Janet!!!)

Please feel free to e-mail me about anything!

God bless,
Kristen Vogel
Back to Top View Kristen in TN's Profile Search for other posts by Kristen in TN Visit Kristen in TN's Homepage

Kristen in TN
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: April 14 2007 at 2:48pm | IP Logged Quote Kristen in TN

I almost forgot, there is no personal property tax and no state income tax. However the sales tax is 9%.
Back to Top View Kristen in TN's Profile Search for other posts by Kristen in TN Visit Kristen in TN's Homepage

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: April 14 2007 at 7:51pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Hi Kristen - It's Jennifer - I didn't know you were Kristen in TN.

Seriously, Nashville might be a good place to look at right now. The new bishop is very orthodox, and making some good changes within the diocese. If you move to the Nashville proper area, Assumption Parish in old Germantown is nothing but homeschoolers. The church architecture is stunning, and the priest is very holy! There are a number of VERY holy priests in the Nashville diocese that are attracting vocations. It gives one reason to hope!

My whole family lives in Nashville. My dad teaches at Aquinas - a small catholic liberal arts college in Nashville. They're run by Dominicans - very solid!! The Nashville area is very family friendly and pretty easy to get by financially.   

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

Kristen in TN
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: April 14 2007 at 8:39pm | IP Logged Quote Kristen in TN

Now Jennifer, they don't need any more homeschool families up there, we need them down here!   

Assumption parish now has a very orthodox elem. school that a lot of those homeschool families have enrolled their children in.

Yes it is a small world. I didn't realize that you were on these boards either!

God bless,
Kristen in TN

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version