Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Living Literature
 4Real Forums : Living Literature
Subject Topic: Dear Mili (Grimm/Sendak) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
CatholicMommy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: March 31 2007 at 8:03am | IP Logged Quote CatholicMommy

Has anyone read this book? I've seen it online various places and it looks it could be a very good story - it somehow involves St. Joseph and guardian angels. I can't find it at the library or local bookstores, so thought I would ask here before I buy the book online.

I am really becoming very very strict about what types of books enter our home in the next 3-4 years as we have so many already. I'm looking for something that is purely Catholic (or does not violate any Catholic teaching/sentiment at all), beautiful artwork, with better grammar/vocabulary than the average children's book these days.

Any thoughts?

Thank you and God Bless!

~Jessca
Back to Top View CatholicMommy's Profile Search for other posts by CatholicMommy Visit CatholicMommy's Homepage

Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 31 2007 at 9:25am | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

What grade level is this book?

mom to 5
Cajun Cottage Under the Oaks
Back to Top View Cay Gibson's Profile Search for other posts by Cay Gibson Visit Cay Gibson's Homepage

CatholicMommy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 31 2007 at 9:41am | IP Logged Quote CatholicMommy

Here is the Amazon listing for it (I'll be buying it elsewhere, but this is the description that prompted me to ask): Amazon - Dear Mili

It says 9-12, but another Amazon listing shows it as 4-8...
Back to Top View CatholicMommy's Profile Search for other posts by CatholicMommy Visit CatholicMommy's Homepage

Kristen in TN
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: April 15 2007 at 8:48am | IP Logged Quote Kristen in TN

I have to admit, this book has been on my shelf for a year. The only reason that I knew it was there is that we are putting all our books into my "bookfinder" program, finally.

Anyway, I just read it and then I read the Amazon description. For a fairy tale, I liked it. The girl always says her prayers and yes, has a guardian angel and meets St. Joseph. I'll read it to the children today and see how they like it. Yes, it would be "problematic" in this country where God and the saints cannot be mentioned and fairy tales are seen as a bad thing. Actually I just shook my head when reading that review.

I only wish I was a better literature reviewer for you, but the description on the Amazon site is very accurate.

God bless,
Kristen in TN
Back to Top View Kristen in TN's Profile Search for other posts by Kristen in TN Visit Kristen in TN's Homepage

St. Ann
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 16 2007 at 12:06am | IP Logged Quote St. Ann

We also have this book, but because of the illustrations always connect it with the Holocaust. For me, an adult, I find it a very moving story - probably because of the pictures.
I'll have to take another look at it, but I don't think it is for the under 10 crowd.

Wife and mother to Hannah '96, Maria '99, Dorothea '01, Helena '03
Back to Top View St. Ann's Profile Search for other posts by St. Ann Visit St. Ann's Homepage

marihalojen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 16 2007 at 6:41am | IP Logged Quote marihalojen

I'm glad you posted, Jessca, our library has a copy and I should have it in plenty of time for Saint Joseph the Worker on the 1st. Thanks!

SSR = Sailing, Snorkling, Reading
Back to Top View marihalojen's Profile Search for other posts by marihalojen Visit marihalojen's Homepage

CatholicMommy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 16 2007 at 7:20am | IP Logged Quote CatholicMommy

I did go ahead and order it. Since the only 'negatives' I've heard have been about the pictures (ie some of the images) and the death scene when only life is expected (but wouldn't they have gone on to eternal life? which is even better?), I am kind of thinking, if it's really worth it, perhaps I could retype the words onto other paper, and do our own illustrations, just in our own home - and when older show Sendak's pictures.

I'll decide when I receive it - but this has always sounded like an interesting type of project to do and this almost seems the perfect book to do so.

Thank you all for your thoughts!

God Bless!

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 19 2007 at 8:21am | IP Logged Quote Mary G

We just picked up our copy from the library and dh read it to the "littles" last night (4, 7, and 8 yo). They LOVED it. It is not your typical Grimm Fairy Tale at all -- I even question if Grimm actually wrote it.

The story is about a widow who has lost all her children but one little girl. The little girl is taught to pray to her Guardian Angel and to know that God will always watch out for her. When an impending war threatens the little girl and her mom, her mom sends her into the woods to hide until the war is over.

Mili meets St. Joseph and her Guardian Angel.

I think it's a lovely story and altho the reading level is 9-12, the read-aloud level is much lower -- like many fairy tales.

I didn't get a sense of the Holocaust at all from this book. I did get that sense from another Sendak book called Brundibar which is HEAVILY symbolic of Hitler's destruction. Which makes sense as "Brundibar" was an operetta that was performed by Czech children in a prisoner of war camp during WW2.

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version