Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Living Literature
 4Real Forums : Living Literature
Subject Topic: Betsy Books by Carolyn Haywood Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: March 29 2007 at 1:50pm | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

I was visiting Jennifer at As Cozy as Spring and saw this book in her daughter's reading list and was wondering about it:

Betsy books by Carolyn Haywood

I've read all the Betsy books by Lovelace but have never seen Haywood's Betsy books.

Can Jennifer or anyone tell me more about these books? I see they were OOP and brought back to life like Lovelace's Betsy.

Part of me hopes they're as cozy a read as my friends Betsy-Tacy-Tib. I hope so.

mom to 5
Cajun Cottage Under the Oaks
Back to Top View Cay Gibson's Profile Search for other posts by Cay Gibson Visit Cay Gibson's Homepage

Nina Murphy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 29 2007 at 2:46pm | IP Logged Quote Nina Murphy

Oh, Cay---

These Betsy books starting with B is for Betsy are some of my most beloved book memories from my childhood. I read the entire series and the Eddie books, too. There is something so old-fashioned and simple about them for young children. (At least in my memory from the 70's!) I have not yet seen them reprinted with this new design and do not know if they are true to the originals, but I assume so.   My daughter had been able to check out most of them from the library and did so years ago. My newest reader hasn't seemed interested yet....but thanks for reminding me!

and 2 yet-to-be-met
Back to Top View Nina Murphy's Profile Search for other posts by Nina Murphy

Jen L.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 29 2007 at 3:11pm | IP Logged Quote Jen L.

LOVE these books! Like Nina, I read them all as a child.

Very sweet and easy reads. The Eddie books always make us laugh too. Fun for new chapter book readers and read alouds. Your libary will almostly certainly have some of them.

Back to Top View Jen L.'s Profile Search for other posts by Jen L.

8kids4me
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: March 29 2007 at 3:46pm | IP Logged Quote 8kids4me

LOVE these books!!! I read these and the Eddie books as a girl, and found a very old copy of B is for Besy hat I am saving for my granddaugher Besy(my keyboard is dying so here is a key that won' ype!). I also really enjoy he picures in he original versions.

I am sill a huge Carolyn Haywood fan!

JSchaaf
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 29 2007 at 4:34pm | IP Logged Quote JSchaaf

The first 2 books I ever checked out of the library were B is for Betsy and Away Go the Balloons. I'll have to see if my library has them so my girls can enjoy Betsy, too!
Jennifer
Back to Top View JSchaaf's Profile Search for other posts by JSchaaf

helene
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: March 29 2007 at 6:47pm | IP Logged Quote helene

I read these books in my childhood also and my girls loved them, too. They are so sweet and gentle and the illustrations are terrific. They have largish print but they are good and thick so they give your child the feeling of great accomplishment when they finish one. Any library worth its salt has many titles. Boys will like Eddie, too, of course. They can start reading these on their own soon after mastering Frog and Toad.
Back to Top View helene's Profile Search for other posts by helene

JuliaT
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 29 2007 at 9:33pm | IP Logged Quote JuliaT

I loved the Betsy books when I was a girl. I was so excited to introduce these books to my dd. But, alas, she doesn't have the same fondness for them as I did. I have to admit I was a bit disappointed. I am going to try again later, though.

Julia
mom to 3(7,6,4)
http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/Juliainsk
Back to Top View JuliaT's Profile Search for other posts by JuliaT

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 30 2007 at 8:01am | IP Logged Quote Mary G

B is for Betsy is the first chapter book I ever read. I can still remember Mom taking me downtown SF one Saturday for errands and we bought this book at Bonanza Book Store on Market Street. I LOVED this book and can still see the Orange cover with white letters ....

Get 'em if you can for your girls Cay -- they are wonderful!

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version