Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Domestic Church (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 4Real Forums : Domestic Church
Subject Topic: More for Preschool Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: March 17 2007 at 1:45pm | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

It's funny.
I'm a firm believe in picture books for ALL AGES.
I love them and my children love them.

When I wrote Catholic Mosaic I really felt parents of preschoolers would embrace it wholeheartedly. I figured I'd have to really stress it to the older elementary and junior high grades. So I focused on making sure the books were meaningful and had a lot of "meat" in them.

I've heard from several parents of preschools requesting more focus on the preschool selections. Seems my assumption that preschoolers would "get it" and embrace any picture book they were handed was a little over the top. How silly of me.

Be sure to see Margot's Laetare post. We have taken special consideration in offering some Easter book selections and studies for the younger readers (not to mention offering a wider selection for Easter since Houselander/dePaola's Petook is OOP.

Also, for the Christmas Mosaic I am being meticulous in making sure each section has something for the PreK group, the elementary group, and the junior high group.

More later...

mom to 5
Cajun Cottage Under the Oaks
Back to Top View Cay Gibson's Profile Search for other posts by Cay Gibson Visit Cay Gibson's Homepage

~Rachel~
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 21 2007 at 3:47pm | IP Logged Quote ~Rachel~

, Cay... my preschool... well actually my toddler daughter LOVES the books in CM... I just read them both Song of the Swallows... she wanted to do a narration and picture .
She LOVED T de P's St. Patrick book, and drew snakes...

I think it is safe to say that SOME pre-K'ers really do get the books . I love your selections and eagerly await more suggestions to use in making the Liturgical year more meaningful for BOTH of my children

Lighting a Fire
Back to Top View ~Rachel~'s Profile Search for other posts by ~Rachel~ Visit ~Rachel~'s Homepage

Waverley
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: March 23 2007 at 9:07pm | IP Logged Quote Waverley

Cay,

Thanks for being willing to include some easier picture books. I think that in addition to preschool age children, some easier picture books may also allow more special needs children to enjoy the Mosaic. I know that is true for our house. Your guidance on quality books reflecting the liturgical year has been a gift to our family and we look forward to all of us being able to participate more fully in the future.

Waverley
wife to 1, mom to 5
Back to Top View Waverley's Profile Search for other posts by Waverley

Ruth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 30 2007 at 7:25pm | IP Logged Quote Ruth

I've never read Song of the Swallows. What is the age for that book?

mom to 7 miracles

My family blog

Loreto Rosaries
Back to Top View Ruth's Profile Search for other posts by Ruth Visit Ruth's Homepage

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 30 2007 at 8:35pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

ruth:
My 4.5 year old and my 6 year old really like it. The 3 yr old doen't "get" the complete story, but loves to point things out in the illustrations and talk about them. We read it last year too.

Back to Top View SuzanneG's Profile Search for other posts by SuzanneG

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 30 2007 at 9:26pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Ruth wrote:
I've never read Song of the Swallows. What is the age for that book?

My 3 1/2 yo like it, to my surprise. I thought it might be a little wordy for him, but he ate it up, and asked to read it over and over. And it really sparked some more interest in birds and gardening.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 31 2007 at 5:59pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

JennGM wrote:
And it really sparked some more interest in birds and gardening.

Yes! for us too. And, my husband loved it, of course, because he is from southern CA.

Back to Top View SuzanneG's Profile Search for other posts by SuzanneG

SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 12 2007 at 7:27pm | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

Thanks, Cay! My two are preschoolers who seem to be getting lost in some of the more "meaty" books. I know they will be more into them as they get older, but I guess I am impatient, wanting to use the Mosaic book with them now. My ds is very sensitive about pictures- many picture books frighten him. I just got a book of saints, and he was so upset he nearly cried, saying, "That's not really St. Paul. He doesn't look like that!". I had to go through the "artist's conception" idea with him.   

SQUILT Music Appreciation
Back to Top View SeaStar's Profile Search for other posts by SeaStar

ktgin
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: May 29 2007 at 10:14pm | IP Logged Quote ktgin

Hello...new here with lots of questions. Is Catholic Mosaic similiar to RCHistory? We are thinking about RCHistory and then someone in our local Catholic homeschool group mentioned Catholic Mosaic and then tons responded how much they love the program, so I'm trying to do something different next year...move away from Seton and onto something like the Christian Worldview type of stuff...only Catholic. Thanks for any help!

JMJ,
Katie
Back to Top View ktgin's Profile Search for other posts by ktgin

margot helene
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: May 30 2007 at 4:33pm | IP Logged Quote margot helene

Katie,
I ought to wait for Cay to respond, but I do know about RCHistory.

Catholic Mosaic is not like RCHistory. RCHistory is a complete history program (Vol 1 creation to Julius Caesar: Salvation History) that uses living books and integrates literature. You can use it with all ages in your homeschool.

Catholic Mosaic is a picture book study that follows the Liturgical Year. While the older children might enjoy hearing the read-alouds, the discussion and enrichment activities are for primary age children (grades K-4). It's not a history program, though you can talk about the historical setting of the stories.

Hope that helps!
Margot
Back to Top View margot helene's Profile Search for other posts by margot helene Visit margot helene's Homepage

Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 31 2007 at 5:39pm | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

I haven't used RCHistory though I've only heard excellent reviews of it. We've used Furlong's text with Sonlight's list of living history books.

I think Margot's assessment is correct. They are two totally separate entities.

mom to 5
Cajun Cottage Under the Oaks
Back to Top View Cay Gibson's Profile Search for other posts by Cay Gibson Visit Cay Gibson's Homepage

Sorry, you cannot post a reply to this topic.
This forum has been locked by a forum administrator.

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version