Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Nurturing the Years of Wonder
 4Real Forums : Nurturing the Years of Wonder
Subject Topic: Science Trays for 6-12 Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
vmalott
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: July 26 2007 at 6:21pm | IP Logged Quote vmalott

How about those TOPS Science Kits? They seem like they would be good for setting up a tray for an older child, especially as they come with task cards so the children can conduct their own experiments, etc. I am seriously thinking about getting a few of these for my 11ds.

Valerie

Back to Top View vmalott's Profile Search for other posts by vmalott Visit vmalott's Homepage

Meredith
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 26 2007 at 6:37pm | IP Logged Quote Meredith

Great suggestion!! I think they have these in the Sonlight catalog as well! Thanks for the reminder on these

Back to Top View Meredith's Profile Search for other posts by Meredith Visit Meredith's Homepage

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 26 2007 at 7:02pm | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

montessori_lori wrote:
Oooo, I love the last one! I have a prism; where do I find a laser pen?

You can get one here scitoys (along with a lot of other cool stuff)but they are also widely available at other stores. Just Google laser pen or laser pointer.

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 26 2007 at 7:21pm | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

montessori_lori wrote:
Oooo, I love the last one! I have a prism; where do I find a laser pen?

Office supply stores have laser pens. Great for cats to chase, also.

SQUILT Music Appreciation
Back to Top View SeaStar's Profile Search for other posts by SeaStar

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 28 2008 at 6:51pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

vmalott wrote:
How about those TOPS Science Kits? They seem like they would be good for setting up a tray for an older child, especially as they come with task cards so the children can conduct their own experiments, etc. I am seriously thinking about getting a few of these for my 11ds.

Valerie

Valerie
Did you buy any? If so what did you think?

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 26 2009 at 5:37am | IP Logged Quote Erin

Bumping up.

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

Land O' Cotton
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Nov 06 2009 at 8:30am | IP Logged Quote Land O' Cotton

Bumping this up again, in case there are any new ideas.

Vicki
Back to Top View Land O' Cotton's Profile Search for other posts by Land O' Cotton

ALmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 07 2009 at 12:24pm | IP Logged Quote ALmom

Well, since I don't teach science and needed to get me out of the science teaching business, we have done almost all succesful science below high school in our house from some informal type things like science trays.

I had dh go with me through the homescience.com kits. There were many that were labeled 3rd - 12th grade. I decided that these would give me the most expandability for the money. Then dh and I flipped through a textbook (usually whatever our highschooler was studying) and bought the kits we thought would most benefit and the ones my husband identified as easier to buy than for him to set up by himself. Some things we have used that my childre enjoy - density kit, physics lab, electronics snap circuits, rock and mineral sample kit and some a light kit with prisms and mirrors. I'll have to go in the room and look but there were tons of things we could have ordered from homescience.

Some things my dh or someone else helped me put together: id kit (simple key guide with the tools needed for testing - think our first one had a nail, a penny, a piece of glass, and a white and black strike plate - oh and also an eyedropper and eyedropper bottle of vinegar. We got fishing tackle boxes for them to use for their own rock collections and a simple to use field guide. And eventually we did order some of the rock kits for them to use as models of comparison.

My dh is big into acoustics (that is his field) so we have a lot of things to actually look at sound waves so dh pulls that out periodically as well and lets them experiment with making different noises and seeing what the wave looks like. Anyways, one simple make yourself kit is a slinky - you can create different kinds of waves using this.

There are plenty of build your own type things everywhere - turn a potatoe into a clock kind of stuff and pneumatic pumps. If you have a budding scientist, I think I'd leave a collection of scrap parts around with simple books on the principals of things. Old wires, old motors, wood scraps, - my husband was a collector of all kinds of stuff like this growing up.

Oh, and while magnifying glasses are great, just be aware that it doesn't take long at all for kids to figure out how to start fires with them. They were using ours to start leaves on fire so they could hollow out the canoe they were making. At least the hollowed out boat of burning leaves was floating around in the swimming pool when mom set more rules to dampen their fun.

Oh, another tray - a good book explaining lift, an aircraft specification book (there are tons of these on military aircraft of WWII) and a basic paper airplane book with paper and scissors. We have fleets of aircraft which are designed to imitate the specifications in paper of these. Some travel further and faster, others are slower but more stable, ..... I cannot begin to tell you what my boys have learned from making these. They even branched into making paper helicopters - just watch your straight pins in your sewing cabinet when that happens or you'll be finding straight pins everywhere.

We'll be needing to expand our options soon, so I'll be looking here for ideas.

Janet
Back to Top View ALmom's Profile Search for other posts by ALmom

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version