Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: Tights? Boots?Modesty when it's cold Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Helen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Nov 26 2006 at 9:36pm | IP Logged Quote Helen

Dear Angela,
I think your comments make perfect sense. Maybe it would be helpful to compare wearing skirts to the use of a seatbelt. Initially, when the law changed, I think many people found it "difficult", "unnatural", and "restraining" to wear a seatbelt. But these same people, over time would now feel *very* uncomfortable and unsafe if they were to drive a car without a seatbelt.

Over time, you may become so accustomed to wearing a skirt that you may feel out of place without one.

As far as becoming a napkin. I often feel the jobs associated with motherhood are rather inelegant. But wearing a skirt doesn't add to the feeling of being an inelegant napkin but just the opposite.

It maqy help to visit a few stores with a friend or dh simply to try on a few styles and then go home and think about which suits you the best.

I tend to stay away from single colored skirts/dresses. They show greasy finger prints (which don't wash out) while a print hides these things. Then I stick to a white or black shirt.

Broomstick type skirts tend to enlarge the waistline. I like gored skirts (skirts with many panels). I think they are very flattering and feminine.

Back to Top View Helen's Profile Search for other posts by Helen Visit Helen's Homepage

Tina P.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 26 2006 at 11:15pm | IP Logged Quote Tina P.

Helen wrote:
Broomstick type skirts tend to enlarge the waistline.

Oh great! I just bought one. Good thing it only cost $2.50.

Helen wrote:
I like gored skirts (skirts with many panels). I think they are very flattering and feminine.

Helen, I'm sorry I'm so ignorant about this. Do you think you could possibly *show* me a gored skirt? I looked gored skirt up on google and it showed me so many different styles that I was more confused than before I had looked them up!

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 26 2006 at 11:41pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

a "gore" is simply a "panel" of a skirt narrower near the waist, wider at the hem.. you get lots of different looks depending on the number of gores in the skirt and the width difference in the top and the bottom.. as well as if it's a solid waistband that fits your waist vs one that is gathered at all. A solid waistband gives the slimmest look.. but for comfort and mobility either get it with a fabric that stretches or with a bit of elastic on the sides or back (that also helps with wearing it into pregnancies)

What you want to look for, to get a slimer line is less fabric around the waist.. but enough that it's not tight going over the hips.. and that it flares out enough at the hem that you can run after a toddler without tripping.. or step up into a 15 pass. van.

The sillouette you get from wearing skirts and dresses will be DIFFERENT than when you wear pants no matter what. And because you don't have the line of the legs getting slimmer it will trick your eye into thinking you look heavier when you really don't.. simply because the sillouette is "wrong" compared to what you're used to.

The best thing I think I did was simply avoid mirrors for a time

I think there's that urge to keep anything *new* nice looking at first. perhaps consider shopping at a second hand store so that you can get some "un-new" skirts to help that process.

Just so that I'm not coming across wrong.. I do wear pants.. not because I don't think I can wear skirts all the time but because my husband isn't "only skirts" so while I like them and do wear them ALOT.. I do still wear pants now and again.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

Mrs.K
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Nov 26 2006 at 11:42pm | IP Logged Quote Mrs.K

Oh Helen, that is too funny - the thought of being an inelegant napkin! Actually, some days I feel like a diaper which is far more inelegant!

Angela, if you are wearing a skirt around the house everyday then it will eventually feel like 'regular clothes'. I do think it helps to buy quality clothing that you know will look good after repeated washings. I tend to avoid things that need ironing or special care for everyday. If you get your pants dirty you need to wash them and if you get your skirt dirty you need to wash it. It's not really any different. Some days I go through two or three skirts with baby around!
Regarding what others think and possibly questioning you, you can just reply that you feel more comfortable in a skirt. You don't need to give a dissertation on whether you mean that physically or spiritually or whatever. You don't need to figure it all out at once and throw away all of your pants tomorrow either. Just try a skirt and see where it leads you.
You can wait and see if your dh comments or not and what he says and let that lead you.
It is wise to think about where you want to lead your dd's in the area of clothing when they are still little. If they grow up with a feminine, modest style of dressing I think they will want to remain feminine and modest as teens and young ladies.

My blogPondered in My Heart
Jesus,I trust in You!
Back to Top View Mrs.K's Profile Search for other posts by Mrs.K

MicheleQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 27 2006 at 12:33am | IP Logged Quote MicheleQ

Tina P. wrote:
Helen wrote:
Broomstick type skirts tend to enlarge the waistline.

Oh great! I just bought one. Good thing it only cost $2.50.

Save it for one of your daughters they look great on young girls!

Quote:

Helen, I'm sorry I'm so ignorant about this. Do you think you could possibly *show* me a gored skirt? I looked gored skirt up on google and it showed me so many different styles that I was more confused than before I had looked them up!

Here's an example of a gored skirt sometimes also called a panel skirt. The length on the one in the picture is long but you can get/make them shorter. They are my favorite too. Definitely avoid anything that is gathered at the waist.    A-line knits skirts are nice too. I make mine nice and wide at the bottom and narrow at the top and with drawstring elastic at the waist. They are great postpartum too!

God bless,

Back to Top View MicheleQ's Profile Search for other posts by MicheleQ Visit MicheleQ's Homepage

marihalojen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 27 2006 at 7:02am | IP Logged Quote marihalojen

I'm just popping in here for the first time, the title 'Warm tights? Boots?' kinda kept me away for awhile.
But, you know, I used to teach in cold, cold country and had to wear nice clothes in a room with 25 little kids who had runny noses. For certain activities (like anything involving glue and the goodbye at the end of day for certain) I wore a full apron (or smock nearly) over my clothes. I would choose one of those fun schoolish prints, ABC's and Apples or 123's, and it definitely worked well in avoiding that 'inelegant napkin' (or Kleenex) feel.

SSR = Sailing, Snorkling, Reading
Back to Top View marihalojen's Profile Search for other posts by marihalojen Visit marihalojen's Homepage

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 27 2006 at 12:15pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

oh and broomstick skirts can also be worn and look good with a heavier weight tunic length top (like a sweater).. it needs to be heavy enough to smooth down the skirt vs the skirt making the top look bunchy.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

Cici
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Nov 27 2006 at 12:40pm | IP Logged Quote Cici

Wanted to chime in here with the "don't get dirty" aspect of skirts on girls - my dd 4.5 won't touch a pair of pants. She has a pair of snow pants. She has two pairs of stretch pants I bought at a garage sale - to wear under the snow pants, whenever - but she doesn't EVER voluntarily put them on.

I have to say that after a while, you have your "play" dresses and your "church" dresses. And even then, I find the line gets blurred.

For example: My father's wife made her a pink gingham dress with a satin tie ribbon for Easter 1 1/2 yrs ago - it was big then, still fits and has since come to be known as the "teaparty dress." She wears it anytime she has what she deems a special occassion: anyone else's birthday, Sunday, or just because its clean and she can . I find a good dose of OxyClean gets most anything out - and I don't dry her favorites dresses in the dryer, I always hang them. We have relatively few permanent stains - even on that well loved masterpiece.

And, she does most everything in dresses. Plays on the jungle gym, rides her bike, paints, cooks, etc etc. Really, pants get dirty - so do dresses.

Incidentally, I get MANY MANY compliments on what a sweet little girl she is when we go out. Especially older women - they tend to dote over how girly she is and what a pleasure it is to see a little girl look like a little girl (complete with "hairstyle" of her own doing! )

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 27 2006 at 4:26pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Angel wrote:
I'm not sure I even know how to begin all the questions I have (and some of them are probably a little odd!), but here goes...

How do you get over thinking of dresses as "dress" clothes?

I won't be helping...every time I've put on a skirt this week, my dh starts asking "You're wearing a skirt? You're too dressed up!" Let me say though, I never was a tomboy, and I wear skirts more frequently than my sisters...but he thinks there are places and occasions for pants. It's a losing battle over here!

Angel wrote:
The truth is I'm having a harder and harder time getting jeans to fit and be comfortable anyway. Since having 2 C-sections and twins, I have lumps in all the wrong places.

Only one c-section here, but lack of willpower to get back into shape, so it's the same with the lumps and bumps. And yes, some knits are more clingy and not flattering (and immodest) It's hard to look at myself in the mirror. The skirts cover more flaws, but I've had to change the type of skirts I wear, more A-line is quite flattering.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: Nov 27 2006 at 4:46pm | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

I like knits because they are so forgiving, fit-wise. But I wear them with tunic length tops, so the lumps are less likely to show. I wore jeans today (went to the chiropractor) and I really felt exposed. The dress-up feeling is slowly fading...

By the way, did you all see Cheryl's post wearing jeans and then skirts?. The pictures really do add to the conversation. Cheryl, your skirts look great on you!

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)
Back to Top View Elizabeth's Profile Search for other posts by Elizabeth

Cheryl
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 27 2006 at 5:13pm | IP Logged Quote Cheryl

Elizabeth wrote:
By the way, did you all see Cheryl's post wearing jeans and then skirts?. The pictures really do add to the conversation. Cheryl, your skirts look great on you!

Thank you. Thanks to everyone for being so supportive. I wish my pictures weren't blurry. Maybe I'll take another one with the boots. I have to say that I think I look much thinner in person. When you stand like Mary Poppins directly in front of a camera it makes you look wider. A side view would make me look smaller.

Angel, I am kind of afraid of getting dirty. I think it's because the skirts are new. I'd be that way with anything new. I remember how afraid I was to mess up my new van, now we're trashing it weekly. I cleaned 2 bathrooms today, but I didn't get on my knees. I let my ds do the shower. The bathrooms still look great. Cooking seems to be the scariest. (I will be ordering an apron soon.)

I'm so grateful that my dh is supporting this change. I don't know if I could do it if he wasn't. He just got home from work. I should go greet him.

Back to Top View Cheryl's Profile Search for other posts by Cheryl Visit Cheryl's Homepage

SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 27 2006 at 6:37pm | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

Cheryl-

You look great in all the pictures, but the skirts make you look- well- elegant! no other word for it.

What about having a Carnival of Skirts? That would be fun and inspirational...

SQUILT Music Appreciation
Back to Top View SeaStar's Profile Search for other posts by SeaStar

SaraP
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 27 2006 at 7:26pm | IP Logged Quote SaraP

OK, one more question if you don't mind . . .

What about hiking around in the woods or chasing little people around (and up and down) on the playground?

We live on 21 acres with woods and a stream and unless it is freezing or pouring (and sometimes even when it is pouring) we spend a good bit of time mucking around out there. But there aren't many trails to speak of and there are lots of prickly vines, poison ivy and big rocks and fallen trees to get over.

We also have wonderful playgrounds around here, but I have two preschoolers who reglarly need to be tracked down in the farthest, highest corner of the climbing structure.

Especially in the summer I prefer wearing skirts most of the time, but I'm always sorry if I don't change into pants before going out into the woods or to the playground (shorter skirts leave me feeling uncovered and longer ones trip me or get caught on things). And then I get lazy and rather than going through both a skirt and a pair of pants for the day, I just put on pants to start with if I know we won't be going anywhere except out to play.

Any ideas? Please, please don't tell me that if I can't do it in a skirt I shouldn't be doing it! I really love being outside and active with my kiddos and giving that up in order to adopt a particular style of dress seems like putting the cart before the horse to me.

Erica Sanchez
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 28 2006 at 12:57am | IP Logged Quote Erica Sanchez

Laugh, laugh, laughing at all the boot and tights talk! Until today, I could, seriously, still wear flip-flops during the day. I won't be laughing next week when we travel to the eastern Sierra's where it is reported to be a mere 1 degree tomorrow night! I don't even know what 1 degree feels like!!

Cheryl, I posted on your blog, but will say here that you are ADORABLE!

I doubt I will ever be only skirts, but we, my girls and I, have definitely increased our skirt-wearing because of these conversations. You are all a beautiful example and inspiration to me.

Back to Top View Erica Sanchez's Profile Search for other posts by Erica Sanchez

Molly Smith
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 28 2006 at 5:49am | IP Logged Quote Molly Smith

I've been following this thread with interest and thought I'd share a funny story. I'll preface it with that I'm a big spring/summer skirt wearer, but I get too darn cold in the chilly weather and resort to my jeans readily.

So yesterday I put on a hand-me-down navy velvety nursing dress. Most comfortable thing I own aside from my jammies, but it looks nice. My dh walks in the bathroom where I'm getting ready and says, "oh, are you going somewhere today?", later my 4yo dd says, "are we going somewhere today?", and finally a little later, my 10 yo dd says (mortified, as she's in her jeans and a sweatshirt), "are we going somewhere fancy today?". The answer to all of it was "no", but I just cracked up each time. And my sons didn't seem to notice .

I did just add to my skirt selection at Eddie Bauer Outlets and I almost always have good luck at Chadwicks. I am seriously looking into the field boots now, too. It's a good thing we don't all live on the same block in our look-alike outfits !

Lisbet
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 28 2006 at 6:38am | IP Logged Quote Lisbet

Sarah, We are a pretty active family, I have lots of little rambunctious children, I like to get down there and run, play and climb with them. We do alot of camping and hiking and biking. I have found that I can modestly do all of the above in a skirt, really. Sometimes I do wear a split skirt or gauchos for biking and things, I have 2 pair and they served me well this past summer. Sometimes I wear a knee length empire waist dress with capri length leggings underneath, this way my bottom is still fully covered, but I can still climb playground equipment and ride my bike. I have done those things in a long relaxed skirt too and been just fine. It really can be done. I am certainly not going to be less active because of the way I dress!

Abby, 15
Gabe, 13
Isaac, 11
Mary, 10
Sam, 9
Henry, 7
Molly, 6
Mark, 5
Greta, 3
Cecilia born 10.29.10
Josephine born 6.11.12
Back to Top View Lisbet's Profile Search for other posts by Lisbet

Servant2theKing
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 28 2006 at 6:40am | IP Logged Quote Servant2theKing

Cheryl, you look lovely! One observation that should encourage you...when you look at your pictures (before and after), the ones where you are wearing a skirt actually emphasize the hourglass look of your figure (which is supposed to be what husbands find appealing). The break in the image caused by pants makes us think that pants are more slimming, perhaps because you see less fabric...but when you compare your pant and skirt images, the latter accentuate your feminine figure very nicely (it's amazing that you still weigh the same as in high school...how wonderful!)

In an earlier post you mentioned your new moleskin skirt. For those who don't yet have any clothing made from that wonderful fabric, it washes up like a dream, is almost as indestructable as denim, and looks nice for casual or dressy wear! The inside of the fabric has a silky feel to it and is very comfortable. I take it out of the dryer while slightly damp and have never had to iron. You can even spot wash with a damp cloth in between washings...spots come out beautifully and I've never had a stain!

For those wondering about "mucking about" on the land...we have twenty acres of land with marsh and an acre of blackberries (with LOTS of thorns). I tend to choose denim whenever we're going out on the land. I do add a pair of slacks when we go to the marshy spots (I'm afraid of snakes venturing up my legs!) I've actaully gone adventuring much more in skirts, since we've moved here, than I ever did when I still wore slacks.

For those looking for warmer options in the winter I find capris are a nice choice under skirts. I have some made of sweatshirt material, that are intended for working out, which are quite warm, especially over tights. Layers actually keep you warmer, so a skirt layered over tights, capris or some other "liner", can be cozier than slacks. Imagine wrapping a blanket over your slacks all day long...similar warm effect.    

SaraP
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 28 2006 at 8:07am | IP Logged Quote SaraP

Molly Smith wrote:
I did just add to my skirt selection at Eddie Bauer Outlets

Oh, I meant to post before that I have this skirt from Eddie Bauer and it is my very favorite for cold days . . . soft, cozy AND flattering!

Helen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 28 2006 at 9:02am | IP Logged Quote Helen

SaraP wrote:
Any ideas? Please, please don't tell me that if I can't do it in a skirt I shouldn't be doing it!

I think the only things I don't do in a skirt are cartwheels and horseback riding. I don't have the opportunity to do either lately.
(hiking and camping are fine.)

Back to Top View Helen's Profile Search for other posts by Helen Visit Helen's Homepage

Tina P.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 28 2006 at 10:44am | IP Logged Quote Tina P.

MicheleQ wrote:
Here's an example of a gored skirt sometimes also called a panel skirt. The length on the one in the picture is long but you can get/make them shorter.

I love that example, even the length. Where do I find one of those for sale? I, unfortunately, can't make anything. I'm one of those completely unskilled in any craft having to do with needles.

A-line knits skirts are nice too. I make mine nice and wide at the bottom and narrow at the top and with drawstring elastic at the waist. They are great postpartum too![/QUOTE]

Now can I bother you to show me an A-line skirt?

Thank you for your tolerance of this ignorant jeans girl!

<< Prev Page of 17 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version